First I hope this is in the right forum, if not move it to where it belongs!
Anyway, I hope someone here can assist me in looking for an answer to a question that has been bothering me for a while. Currently I run/own a small computer repair businesses that handles quite a bit of computer parts inventory. Some of it is new parts, but a majority of it is computers / parts from computers that customers simply give to us to recycle and dispose of. State law in our state makes it illegal for trash companies to pick up electronic devices destined for landfills so this has forced consumers to come to me simply giving things away. Such as a laptop with a broken screen that works otherwise that they felt was too expensive to fix, etc.
This results in a large influx of parts on a fairly regular basis from disassembled systems and sometimes systems themselves that just need a used part to make work.
My goal is to have an inventory management system in place that allows someone to sit down and log the parts that we have when new stuff comes in, and then when stuff is sold. This does not need to be tied into a POS system as we don't sell enough parts alone to justify that route. Rather we'd county inventory at the end of each month and simply make sure it matches what the records say. This information would be used for insurance purposes as well as knowing what we have to sell or not to sell.
I would like for the software to meet the following several requirements:
- Ability to be web-based for ease of updating and thus the DB could be stored on one of our off-site servers too.
- Highly customizable fields (and categories) so that I can ensure as much info possible on each item is in the database.
- Possibly software designed with computer businesses like mine in mine is a huge plus!
- Preferably open source, but I'd consider paid options. I just don't want to pay in the $1000+ POS/range.
***** These are not requirements, just wishes *****
- Have a mobile app to update right from my tablet in the backroom (this isn't a requirement, just a wish.
- Possibly have barcode input if we choose to get a barcode system down the road.
If anyone knows of any software that would meet these needs I definitely would like to know.