God of War: Ascension

Hey Everyone,

I got early releases on these games and decided to show you the PS3 Gameplay to help you decide if this is a game that you want.

God of War Ascension:

Picked up 2 copies this morning. 1 for me and 1 for my woman. Now we can team up online and hopefully take down some people :)

I had a chance to play it a little during lunch, the multiplayer portion. Very fun. It is pretty crazy and against certain people a huge chore.... but it is fun all the time. There is a lot to get used to, as far as learning which colors mean what you can do, and trying to counter them. But it has a lot of potential and was able to hook me in. Can't wait to play some more later tonight.

The Rise of the Warrior web game is still live until the 20th, so you can get in-game DLC if you hurry.

Also, Santa Monica patched the 'Bros Before Hoes' trophy name to 'Bros Before Foes'. If you don't know why this is a big deal, think back to when the hell was the last time you actually heard Adam Sessler's name, and then look up his attempt at stirring up this faux controversy most likely for hits / views.

Anyhoo, the Collector's Edition was my Christmas present, booyah!

Really enjoy the multiplayer part of this game. Haven't even touched single player. Played for a little over 4 hours, made rank 15. The fights are insane. I think some more balancing needs to be done, because some moves seem to have priority over all others depending on which god and weapon you use. But all in all, its a blast. It does remind of me something like Power Stone 2, a type of multiplayer game that for some reason died in the late 90's early 2000's, but that I'm glad to see back in some form.

Really enjoy the multiplayer part of this game. Haven't even touched single player. Played for a little over 4 hours, made rank 15. The fights are insane. I think some more balancing needs to be done, because some moves seem to have priority over all others depending on which god and weapon you use. But all in all, its a blast. It does remind of me something like Power Stone 2, a type of multiplayer game that for some reason died in the late 90's early 2000's, but that I'm glad to see back in some form.

Saw your comment in the other thread that got closed. Once I get a few hours of SP under my belt to remember all the controls, etc., I would be down to check it out.

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to checking out the SP campaign in God of War: Ascension, and I am struggling as to why this game did not get more attention. I guess because it is a tried and true formula, but I happen to think as far as this genre is concerned, GoW has always been one of the better series out there, especially from the combat side. I do wish they would step it up with the platforming elements though, with games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted out there now, platforming can be done way better, those games prove it, so that would be my one and only gripe with the game, and that is a pretty small one. Overall, I am about 2 hours in, and it is definitely as good as other games in the series, if not better. Just a little surprised people were not into it more than it seems they are.

Honestly, as much as I liked the combat, I had no idea why I was doing what I was doing as Kratos. I didn't feel like I'd gotten much as far as story beats. I got as far as into the temple after riding the big snakes, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on. I know why Kratos was in the prison in the opening scene, but then it skips back in time and I'm lost. I gave up once Bioshock came out; then Tomb Raider went on sale; then Sleeping Dogs was on PS+. I'll get back to it in summer.

Honestly, as much as I liked the combat, I had no idea why I was doing what I was doing as Kratos. I didn't feel like I'd gotten much as far as story beats. I got as far as into the temple after riding the big snakes, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on. I know why Kratos was in the prison in the opening scene, but then it skips back in time and I'm lost. I gave up once Bioshock came out; then Tomb Raider went on sale; then Sleeping Dogs was on PS+. I'll get back to it in summer.

Fair enough, it may stink from the story side of things, all I know is what I always know about the God of War stories; Kratos has ****ed some Gods off yet again and shenanigans ensue. So I was mainly talking from a gameplay perspective I should clarify. I admittedly am not the biggest fan of video game stories unless they really make sense with the gameplay, so yeah I should probably state that now and again. I am a much bigger fan of the vibe of games overall. When I was paying attention to the story which was not that often it did seem to not make much sense to be honest.

I've recently bought the game during a ShopTo sale. I'm pretty curious to see it. I'm even tempted to try it without the most recent patch that balances the final challenge.

Fair enough, it may stink from the story side of things, all I know is what I always know about the God of War stories; Kratos has ****ed some Gods off yet again and shenanigans ensue. So I was mainly talking from a gameplay perspective I should clarify. I admittedly am not the biggest fan of video game stories unless they really make sense with the gameplay, so yeah I should probably state that now and again. I am a much bigger fan of the vibe of games overall. When I was paying attention to the story which was not that often it did seem to not make much sense to be honest.

Well, I agree that GoW has never had a FF7-level story attached to it, but it had lore and a main goal. I mean, 20 minutes into the first game, I'm all "**** Ares, you made me kill my family and now you're destroying Athens!" In GoW2, I'm all "**** you Zeus, you tried to kill me now I'm gonna come rape your ass." Then in 3, I'm still all "**** Zeus, now I'm gonna ride up and kill all you **********ers and lookie I'm riding up to you ON ****ING GAIA! WHAT NOW BITCHES?!"

In this one, I'm like "okay, I got out of jail, not sure how I got there, now I've got some special powers for the chains, that's kinda neat, now I'm on some snakes,.... but what the hell is my goal here?"

I think it's because we're basically scraping the bottom of the barrel for mythology that I couldn't do it. I will eventually. I do <3 the MP, tho. That was pretty well done.