Unable to change UAC settings

win8

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 OP gkl

gkl

Neowinian

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:39

Perhaps the owner of the C: drive got changed accidently?

Open windows explorer, right click on C: and click properties. Then click the security tab and click advanced. What is shown as the owner? On my win8 x64, trustedinstaller is the owner.

Same Trustedinstaller for me as well.

It looks like something is seriously messed up with his settings. Unable to bring up dialog boxes, Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2 etc.

I think the best thing to do is a clean install. Format the partition and re-install Windows. Just back everything up.

Did you upgrade from Windows 7? Clean install is the way, never upgrade from an existing installation if you want to avoid issues and gain maximum efficiency.

Eh, a reinstall does seems like an option at this point. Just when I have set everything so nicely up... ugh. I guess I'll have the opportunity to check out the new Refresh functionality of Windows 8.

And it's not an upgrade. I always do a format/clean install when installing an OS.

#17 dyablor

dyablor

Neowinian

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:59

I encountered this problem last month after an windows update i think. I had Win 8 x64 Enterprised. I decided to do a clean install of windows and i installed Windows 8 Pro x64. After a month, same problem. I don't know what's so wrong...

#18 littl3viking

littl3viking

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:30

I encountered this problem last month after an windows update i think. I had Win 8 x64 Enterprised. I decided to do a clean install of windows and i installed Windows 8 Pro x64. After a month, same problem. I don't know what's so wrong...

Same problem here. When I log in on safe mode everything is normal.

#19 dyablor

dyablor

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:05

Same problem here. When I log in on safe mode everything is normal.

After a while and some heavy google searching  managed to track the problem, tested it and solved it by system restore. I have an AMD video card and when i used AMD uninstall tool to uninstall the old driver it messed up all my windows 8 settings. If the uninstall is made from Control Panel everything works normal. This seems to be a known bug and it seems to appear also if you use Windows Defender.