Photo

A recent onslaught of Crapware (a.k.a Spyware / adware)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:07

Yeah, it seems lately the crapware has gone wild. I've seen a lot of it myself.

#17 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:12

A lot of people shop at Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer (Kroger) etc. And those places require the coupon printer plugin in order to print out coupons.

Well it's a good thing I never uninstall it then huh? Had a feeling about that one.

#18 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:29

I have seen that coupon one too. But what I have seen a ton of times is this malware (don't remember the name) that will show up as a full screen advertisement of a program that you need to pay to remove the screen in question. Problem is if you try safe mode it reboots on you the second you log in (fun times!). You either have to get into another user account or access the admin account and perform a manual removal.

#19 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:39

I have seen that coupon one too. But what I have seen a ton of times is this malware (don't remember the name) that will show up as a full screen advertisement of a program that you need to pay to remove the screen in question. Problem is if you try safe mode it reboots on you the second you log in (fun times!). You either have to get into another user account or access the admin account and perform a manual removal.

BartPE FTW!

#20 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 00:47

This is another reason why Microsoft made the Windows Store. I wonder how much of this will go away once more apps are published there.

#21 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:27

Hello,

This sounds like software classified by antimalware companies as potentially unsafe applications (PUAs), potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), potentially unwanted software (PUS) and so forth.

Some anti-malware programs do not, by default, detect PUAs, prompting the user to either toggle detection on installation, or go in and manually turn it on after installation.

You may wish to verify that client computers have this enabled (assuming that the clients do not want this kind software installed on their PCs, first).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#22 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:11

Seen a load of this coming through DomaIQ, where you get paid if someone installs your program, you get a flash player update pop up, which in turn downloads flash_player_v_.123.exe which when run install all manner of PUP`s (coupon thingie, Yontoo, etc). Seems a lot are being pushed through the ads :(

#23 killerninja

killerninja

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:12

thanks this fixed my cpu in more ways than fun

#24 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:24

i would say yontoo and coupon printer are the most common ones i see, mostly because people A) are cheap and always look for coupons without ever thinking, why should i have to install software to print them. and B) they never deselect things they dont want to install.

#25 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:37

I've always seen a lot of it on people's machines

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!