texas glass voice control natural language understanding

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:57

I don't know... This guy has made some pretty incredulous and far out predictions before this one.

I've heard that in 1998 he proclaimed, "Computers will one day be very small, and very fast". And, just a few months ago he was saying something like, "Renewable resources are the future of energy production".

Seems pretty outlandish to me.

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Because in 2013 we have hand held computers that are screamingly fast compared to household computers in 1998 - they're called smartphones. And renewable resources are the future of energy production, especially solar and wind energies.

#17 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,260 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:05

On Saturday, Google showed off what it calls "Talking Sneakers," shoes the company says will motivate you to move more.

Yeah, that doesn't sound incredibly annoying AT ALL :p

Anyway... so search will be like 'Star Trek'... like IBM Watson? But... with Google AdSense?

#18 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• 9,940 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:13

I think the language parsing is the most interesting part here. It sounds like you'll be brought to what you're searching for more easily without having to constantly refine keywords and browsing pages. However, this puts high demands on the artificial intelligence used.

As for deaf people: I'm sure that it, like Siri and S Voice etc, supports text output as well, despite being voice-oriented.

As for blind people: It would obviously be very useful. Any progression in this field is for them.

As for deaf and blind people: Hopefully there is tactile feedback in the future for those! Or they have to use the Internet with an assistant.

As for people with an aversion for new technology: Sorry, those can perhaps not be helped though.

#19 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,029 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35

^ i curious about touchscreen for blind people.

#20 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,603 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:48

Useful for blind people, yes please

Useful for physically disabled people. Yes, please.

#21 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,600 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:52

Will it sound Like Majel Barret?

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,734 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:24

Me: Google cheese singles
Google responding loudly: These are <adsense>Meet Russian singles near you who like cheese</adsense> the stores that sell cheese singles near you
Wife: Why are you searching for Russian ladies?

:no:

#23 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,037 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:08

Me: Google cheese singles
Google responding loudly: These are <adsense>Meet Russian singles near you who like cheese</adsense> the stores that sell cheese singles near you
Wife: Why are you searching for Russian ladies?

:no:

That's when you say "Don't come in in the middle of a conversation. Clearly the search wasn't for Russian Ladys, I do that when you AREN'T home."

#24 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:15

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Because in 2013 we have hand held computers that are screamingly fast compared to household computers in 1998 - they're called smartphones. And renewable resources are the future of energy production, especially solar and wind energies.

Uhhh, yes. I was being sarcastic. That's why I used those examples of predictions that aren't really predictions, but rather are just obvious logical progressions of technology. Everyone knew in 1998 that computers were soon going to be very small and very fast. It's Moore's Law.

This far out and futuristic "Star Trek" style of search already exists in a somewhat limited form, Siri, as mentioned in the article.

It seems incredibly obvious that voice recognition will be integrated more and more as one of the many choices we have of how we can interact with computers. While not convenient all the time, it can definitely be extremely convenient at least some of the time, like touch and motion capture.

Likewise, it just seems inevitable that, as we get better and better at AI, computers will be able to understand natural language and also be able to answer a question more directly than a list of dozens or hundreds of possible answers.

#25 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 121,099 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:18

In the future, the experience of searching the web is going to be like something out of "Star Trek."

not enough lens flare!

#26 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,170 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:19

they are nearly there already I use the voice features on my phone all the time to do searches and type out text messages to my wife and i generally only have to type for lengthy emails.

#27 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,024 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:31

Posted ImageHum, on Yesterday, 18:52, said:
On Saturday, Google showed off what it calls "Talking Sneakers," shoes the company says will motivate you to move more.

I thought that was what a wife was for ...

#28 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,045 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:38

Microsoft has been talking about this (and overhyping the idea) since the 80s.

Welcome to the bandwagon, Google.

#29 lkernan

lkernan

Neowinian

• 149 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:47

Will it sound Like Majel Barret?

I would hope so, starfleet won't be the same with a different computer voice.

#30 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:58

Posted Image