Photo

Installed Windows 8 to friends and family, everyone loves it.

win8 win8

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:16

I've had a considerable number of complaints from customers about Windows 8. This includes people from all walks of life...

I can count on my hand the people i've met (in person) that actually enjoy it.

#17 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:21

In your opinion, were they idiots novice or were they sophisticated users?

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40

If the general consumer loves it then why did it fail at retail?
With a confirmed adoption rate that is far behind Vista, windows 8 has completely/utterly failed.

MacOSX Lion adoption rate got to %40 in 9 months between mac users,while Windows 7 adoption rate got to %40 in 26 months between windows users. Do we label MacOSX the winner here? And Windows 7 failed at retail? Of course windows 7 completely destroyed them in amounts sold.

This kind of comparison between vista and windows 8 is bogus. The % comparison means nothing. Windows 8 sold 40 million copies in its first month.If these weren't selling then why would OEMs and other buy another 20 million the next month? Vista only sold 20 million in its first month. It took windows 7 longer to sell 60 million than windows 8.

About the whole PC sales being lower. Well with windows 7 we have something called netbooks which were ridiculously cheap.Windows 8 doesnt get the benefit of being installed on these small cheap computers and count as a sale. We also had the problem of not finding any of the new windows 8 hardware for most of the quarter. You also don't know how many people simply upgraded to windows 8. PC sales being lower doesnt mean windows sales are.In the old days,you also needed a new PC to run the latest OS. Windows 8 actually has less of requirements than the previous version. Microsoft also posted much higher revenues and profits in the windows division,obviously from windows 8 sales even though PC sales were lower.

#19 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:35

The % comparison means nothing.

Naturally...

:rolleyes:

#20 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:08

This is where I think the difference is. Anybody who enjoys full screen browsing, is one kind of person. That kind of person probably loves windows 8. In fact, if that certain person was female, they would probably want to have Windows 8's baby. But then there are people who don't want to have 1 app fill up their entire screen. These people generally hate windows 8.

I'm personally annoyed on how Microsoft and Firefox by default now hide all the menus. They are the first thing that get enabled on a new install of Firefox. Give me back the menu bar on top. It's useful.

I'm going to give Windows 8 a slight complement. Most people are very unproductive. They do Facebook, a little email and surfing. That's pretty much it. So yes, those people probably would LOVE windows 8. Good Job Microsoft!

For everyone else....

Anyone who enjoys clutter on their screen, is a one kind of person.

Seriously, menus don't need to be on my screen until they are needed. I have 1680x1050 worth of pixels that are better spent on content, not a mess of controls. People know how to right click, they'll find them.

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:16

Anyone who enjoys clutter on their screen, is a one kind of person.

Seriously, menus don't need to be on my screen until they are needed. I have 1680x1050 worth of pixels that are better spent on content, not a mess of controls. People know how to right click, they'll find them.

To each their own, I have 1680x1050 on two monitors so double that up for total pixels, and I personally can't stand full screen apps unless it's a game which has a tonne of controls and buttons anyways. Much rather have menus and buttons and such right there instead of hidden away (except in the case of the start menu which I personally much prefer).

I hate having to go find menus and accidentally hitting the hot-corners I disable them whenever possible.

So just because you prefer one way doesn't mean everyone does, which is why people get frustrated and have problems. It's not because people don't want or like change, hell if 8 was closer to 7 in the UI department I would have updated for sure. It's because it doesn't work how us, the consumers, want it to work (based on our own feelings).

#22 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:21

Dont get my started about Win8, the inconsistency, the hard to find settings, and just annoying interface designed for touch while leaving the desktop users in the cold. There is a reason with Win8 is as worse, or worse, than Vista.

#23 macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:24

this reads like a sponsored microsoft ad instead of a serious discussion about things like why a multimillion dollar os in 2012/13 still cant fix scrolling bugs and other stuff......

#24 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:25

the only people that don't like windows 8 and find it confusing are the computer tough guys,a.k.a computer gurus on the internet. the general consumer actually loves it,and that's who Microsoft is targeting, not the know it all techies or the hardcore users who need a million windows open at the same time. the other day I was in an electronics store and this teenager dragged his mom over to the surface pro and said this is so cool as he proceeded to swipe on the touch screen,and said look how small they started making these.

Wrong. I have done downgrades of lots of computers that came with 8 and people can't get accustomed to it. Speaking for the 'general consumer' all at once is dangerous and stupid. Win8 is a great home-user based OS. For anyone using it for a business purpose, however, it isn't.

Also, if the uptake is slower than Vista, as is documented (and you have to use percentages, raw numbers don't matter), then it is NOT only the tech-savvy that aren't liking it.

One more thing: The Surface Pro is not relevant to this argument, as it is a great little device (except for battery) regardless of the OS you have running on it.

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26

I've had a considerable number of complaints from customers about Windows 8. This includes people from all walks of life...

Same here. I normally hear "uhh, no thanks" as soon as people see the Metro screen with all the tiles. Its an ugly interface.

I didnt have any problems going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95...and that was back when I knew little about what I do now. Windows 8 just reduces my work productivity and since you cannot disable UAC (easily) and still use the Web apps, I said screw it.

#26 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:27

I've only had a single person tell me they love it. Everyone else thinks its 'ok' at best, or tolerates it. The rest get rid of it.

#27 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 24

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:27

This is where I think the difference is. Anybody who enjoys full screen browsing, is one kind of person. That kind of person probably loves windows 8. In fact, if that certain person was female, they would probably want to have Windows 8's baby. But then there are people who don't want to have 1 app fill up their entire screen. These people generally hate windows 8.

I'm personally annoyed on how Microsoft and Firefox by default now hide all the menus. They are the first thing that get enabled on a new install of Firefox. Give me back the menu bar on top. It's useful.

For everyone else....

Nothing a press of the ALT key can't fix.

#28 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:28

Dont get my started about Win8, the inconsistency, the hard to find settings, and just annoying interface designed for touch while leaving the desktop users in the cold. There is a reason with Win8 is as worse, or worse, than Vista.

How is this "hard to find"? Do you not move your mouse?

Screenshot (4821).png

I didnt have any problems going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95...and that was back when I knew little about what I do now. Windows 8 just reduces my work productivity and since you cannot disable UAC (easily) and still use the Web apps, I said screw it.

Also, why are you trying to disable UAC? It's a crucial system function.

#29 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32

How is this "hard to find"? Do you not move your mouse?

I mean specific settings, not the settings button. I know where the settings is at.

Also, why are you trying to disable UAC? It's a crucial system function.

Because it interferes in the work place, and personally...it is annoying as hell. I keep UAC enabled for my family that do not do alot of messing around with their systems. I like to keep mine disabled and not get prompted to choose YES or OK for every little damn thing I do.

#30 +DonC

DonC

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:34

Most people that I've seen use Windows 8 get used to it quickly. I know of only one person that actually went back to Windows 7 after a weekend of using 8 on their new build.

I've had people ask me what extra software I had installed because it looked to them pretty much like Windows 7 in actual day to day usage. I just say "None whatsoever."

EDIT: I mean extra software to change the behaviour of the UI.