Photo

Installed Windows 8 to friends and family, everyone loves it.

win8 win8

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 March 2013 - 13:50

I would like to know what software you use, this does not infringe on anything having to do with the government or their controls..it is just a software package. If you don't feel comfortable, take it to pm.

No, I am not going to risk my job for arguments sake. Wont happen. We have strict policies in place and I had to sign an agreement to keep out IT infrastructure secrete. We get sales calls all the time asking for info on our systems and each time we tell them we are not allowed to give out that info. It doesnt matter how little or insignificant it is.

#62 count0nz

count0nz

A Geek4Hire

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:03

My Wife Loves windows 8 also.. She Loves the Start screen.. She can find all her stuff in 1 Place.
She hadly ever used the Start menu Anyway to Find things. She has 2 Folders on her Desktop
Games and Misc.

She Loves the Fast boot times.. the Anti-Virus..
And the Speed of the System .. She use to Love XP over 7... then Hated me running 8 ... But when I asked her if she wanted me to install 8.. She Jumped at the Chance. becose she saw 1st hand how much better it was..

#63 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:43

If I told you that, I would be fired from my job. We have government contracts and we cannot give out any info on our IT infrastructure. I dont think the DoD would appreciate that to much.

wow, the military and gov are using WINDOWS? you should be fired for not using a *nix :rofl:

#64 OP Lprd2007

Lprd2007

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:54

If I told you that, I would be fired from my job. We have government contracts and we cannot give out any info on our IT infrastructure. I dont think the DoD would appreciate that to much.

You know what? Absolutely no one cares. Why don't you just create your own operating system too? Seriously. That way you can have your amazing security infrastructure built in and you won't have so much time to waste trashing an excellent OS that is still being used by most people and corporations in the world.
.I.

#65 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:59

wow, the military and gov are using WINDOWS? you should be fired for not using a *nix :rofl:

I dont work for the military. I work for a company that has a contract with the Navy.

You know what? Absolutely no one cares. Why don't you just create your own operating system too? Seriously. That way you can have your amazing security infrastructure built in and you won't have so much time to waste trashing an excellent OS that is still being used by most people and corporations in the world.
.I.

I am not trashing the OS. I am trashing UAC and there are many others that do not like UAC either. I am not alone, just trying to have a convo with people here. All I ever said about Windows 8really is that I didnt like it. But then again, that is not trashing hte OS.

Get it straight next time to try to stick it to someone.

#66 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 12 March 2013 - 20:13

Hey techbeck, you mentioned earlier that one of your problems with UAC was related to app deployments. Dunno what you guys are using but I'm suspecting the problem is with the way the apps you're trying to deploy are packaged. But then again you guys probably have all this deployment stuff proprietary or internally developed - should really complain about it. Disabling an OS feature to have something deployed automatically shouldn't be necessary IMHO (heck, the user shouldn't even realise: admins are the kings).

Damn, this went of topic. On topic: it's great that whenever someone gets win8, they are properly introduced to the OS, it can be a slight shock for those used to the older versions of Windows.

#67 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 12 March 2013 - 22:19

I like Win 8 for the speed... Charms bar isn't terrible, but the start screen is atrocious if you don't have a touch screen... Really unnecessary, and the fact that they didn't allow a native way to disable it shows that they really couldn't care less whether or not their users appreciated the usability of their product... What's scarier still is that Microsoft plans to continue this style of operating system into "Windows 9" despite the disappointing sales of Win8... It's like their committing to the bad idea for better or (more likely) worse... They should have stuck with XP's style of a desktop OS and a tablet OS.. They wouldn't even need to change much but the start screen and metro apps... Considering how easy they are to disable now, it wouldn't have taken a huge code shift at all to crank out both versions... They just did this because they like the idea of unity... Which wouldn't be a bad thing, had Windows 8 been a more balanced approach to creating a touchscreen friendly OS that wasn't a gaudy monstrosity on a desktop PC...

#68 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 14 March 2013 - 18:03

I like Win 8 for the speed... Charms bar isn't terrible, but the start screen is atrocious if you don't have a touch screen... Really unnecessary, and the fact that they didn't allow a native way to disable it shows that they really couldn't care less whether or not their users appreciated the usability of their product... What's scarier still is that Microsoft plans to continue this style of operating system into "Windows 9" despite the disappointing sales of Win8... It's like their committing to the bad idea for better or (more likely) worse... They should have stuck with XP's style of a desktop OS and a tablet OS.. They wouldn't even need to change much but the start screen and metro apps... Considering how easy they are to disable now, it wouldn't have taken a huge code shift at all to crank out both versions... They just did this because they like the idea of unity... Which wouldn't be a bad thing, had Windows 8 been a more balanced approach to creating a touchscreen friendly OS that wasn't a gaudy monstrosity on a desktop PC...

agree 100%
:shiftyninja:
nailed it

#69 OilersFan

OilersFan

Neowinian

Posted 15 March 2013 - 23:35

Only reason Microsoft makes it so you can't disable the start screen is Metro Apps, they want everyone to buy stupid apps from their store and forget everything else.

#70 DrakeN2k

DrakeN2k

Neowinian

Posted 15 March 2013 - 23:53

I quite like Win 8 , it was odd at first now its just second nature.

#71 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:08

Call me old fashion, but my favorite version of Windows is still Windows 2000. I still LOVED the Win2k login screen compared to the full screen of Vista and newer OS'es.

To me Windows 8 is the COMPLETE opposite of Windows 200 and not in a good way.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!