• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,358 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:02

http://www.neowin.ne...ecs-have-leaked

There was also another HTC phone, the Status, that head a dedicated Facebook button.

Ah, I forgot about that. If Facebook were to become irrelevant, it would take a long time for that to happen. By then, any phones with a dedicated Facebook button would be obsolete. Of course, that's assuming not a lot of phones aren't made with that button in the near future.

deactivated my FB account last year. dont miss it one bit. i never used it.

my favorite are the people that think FB is the only form of communication these days. "oh, you didnt know about <event>? i put it up on FB..." how about you just email it instead? if you want me to come, call me...

I haven't deactivated mine but I don't use Facebook anymore for events. I still get invites to parties and whatnot but I almost always hear about the important ones before it's even put on Facebook. Also, a lot of people don't even bother to accept an invites (e.g. Maybe, Going, Not going) anymore. Night clubs have spammed people to the point where they disregard events even if they plan on going. In a way, I'm glad people are going back to the plain old ways of extending an invite.

#17 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:25

Are you saying that you're so special they should take extra measures to invite you separately from everyone else?

I'd agree with you if you were talking about yourself and 1 other mate that wanted to see a movie.
I'd borderline agree with you if you were talking about a group of 3-4 mates, but only if you're talking about something with a set schedule (i.e. Band X plays at Venue Y) and only if you also IM with the others.

Even then, you're still that guy that doesn't want to make things easier on everybody because... um... because you don't like it. Or something.

Tell me, what's easier:
a) Create a new event -> Invite everyone on friends list or everyone who's likely to be interested -> whoever wants to go RSVP's -> Fun
b) Individually call/text 25+ people to let them know something's about to go down

If you can think of a single logical reason why we should not leverage technology to make these kind of things easier then I'd like to hear it.

or you could do what my mates do and just send a mass email... why do we need to have facebook for such things?

oh, and no, i'm not that special that i need a phone call. however, last year my buddy was in town for a couple days. i didnt even know b/c he posted it on FB. why couldnt he have just done a quick txt/email or call to let me know?

#18 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,664 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:45

So what are people using then? I haven't noticed any droppage. If there's something else out there, do tell.
I don't actually do anything on Facebook, other than see what is going on with all the bands that I listen too. New CDs comin out, new vids, concerts comin up, etc. etc.
I use it as a tool to find everything I'm interested in, at one place. FB is great for that cuz it's what everyone is using. Musicians, companies, tech sites, etc. etc.
I definitely don't play games, in fact I got all that blocked out. And I use Skype for Facebook friend communication.

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:54

So what are people using then? I haven't noticed any droppage. If there's something else out there, do tell.

Twitter? You might be surprised, I think it's better for everything you listed. Google plus has much better tech news. LinkedIn is better for following companies.

facebook is just the poor man's version of all of those, plus a site some people confuse with Reddit.

#20 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,628 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:02

I've noticed my usage drastically decrease the past year. Less of my close friends are on it, and the ads and such are getting a bit ridiculous. I really only keep it for chat and picture sharing now.

#21 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 581 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:09

or you could do what my mates do and just send a mass email... why do we need to have facebook for such things?

We don't need Facebook specifically, but it's currently the most used tool that can be used to organise events much easier than a mass email.

oh, and no, i'm not that special that i need a phone call. however, last year my buddy was in town for a couple days. i didnt even know b/c he posted it on FB. why couldnt he have just done a quick txt/email or call to let me know?

I agree with you on that.

#22 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,909 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:04

starting to cut down, removed it from my phone, and only access it from my laptop.

#23 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,238 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:18

Oh! the drama...

#24 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,931 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:19

I don't understand all the obsession with hating on it. People are using this convenient site to organize events and post statuses and pictures about their lives. The horror. :rolleyes:

Hating on FB is more of a fad than FB itself will ever be.

#25 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,982 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:35

I'm not very active on FB, but I like it a lot as a way to keep in touch with all my customers, from all over the world, I get over the year.
I find it very easy to passively be in contact with all of them. Like a post, post a little comment,....
For me it's a lot easier then sending all of these people e-mails, just to let them know I remember them.

#26 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,863 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:35

the only good thing about facebook is it is the ONLY place I can find 90% of my friends and old aquientances from school... other sites never had that kind of rate for finding people

#27 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:36

On a quick glance, it looks like they've been surveying around 300 people. That's such a negligible percentage of Facebook users that they might as well have asked one person for their opinions.

#28 +scumdogmillionaire

scumdogmillionaire

Neowinian Senior

• 2,612 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:37

If not for needing to share pictures of my daughter with my family in a quick and convenient manner, I wouldn't use it.

#29 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,179 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:39

I still check Facebook daily and post status updates maybe once or twice a week. I have noticed a pretty sharp decline in how much folks on my friends list use it. The mobile ads are getting really ridiculous. I still think Facebook Messenger is the best of its kind as far as cross-platform messenging services with push notifications. Almost all of my friends are "plugged in" to that even if they don't check Facebook hardly ever.

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,496 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:43

Funny, all these apps/hardware integrating Facebook and when FB flops, it will at some point and time just like MySpace, you have a bunch of useless hardware/software features.

Fun thing about software is that developers can always push an update that removes functionality. By the time Facebook goes belly-up those few dedicated phones will be long obsolete hardware-wise, so I don't see an issue there either.