• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,485 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:00

Researchers in the United Kingdom have found algae-like fossils in meteorite fragments that landed in Sri Lanka last year. This is the strongest evidence yet of cometary panspermia — that life on Earth began when a meteorite containing simple organisms landed here, billions of years ago — and, perhaps more importantly, that there’s life elsewhere in the universe.

More here

Posted Image

#2 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:03

They're going to require some extraordinary evidence to prove this isn't a contamination issue.

#3 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,454 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:06

They're going to require some extraordinary evidence to prove this isn't a contamination issue.

Contamination? :s You know what a fossil is right? Fossils take more than a year to become fossils lol

And I think it's an awesome idea that meteors seed planets, the old hit and miss effect :)

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:06

Very interesting and very logical at the same time with as vast as everything is, I wonder if they will be able to date how old it is.

#5 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:08

Contamination? :s You know what a fossil is right? Fossils take more than a year to become fossils lol

And I think it's an awesome idea that meteors seed planets, the old hit and miss effect :)

Apparently they did check for contamination.

To this end, the researchers found very low levels of nitrogen (which is nearly always present in modern-Earth organisms), and their oxygen isotope analysis “shows [that the samples] are unequivocally meteorites.” The meteorite’s atomic makeup, coupled with the fossils being fused with the rock matrix, is a strong indicator that the organisms aren’t terrestrial in origin.

So there you go. Personally I'd need a bit more proof, as it's been rammed into my head that life came from spontaneous chemical reaction on our planet, but if it happened on another planet and ended up here, I'm cool with that too.

#6 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,648 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:10

that life on Earth began when a meteorite containing simple organisms landed here, billions of years ago

****ing nonsense.

Life on Earth began when an almighty being designed them using his hands and then took a ribcage and made a man and oh god I can't type this with a straight face...

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,210 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:21

It would be proof that there’s life on other planets — and essentially a guarantee that the universe is full of life. But, as always, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

#8 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,039 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:22

This is an awesome discovery. News like this needs to be brought out to the mainstreams.

#9 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:26

This is an awesome discovery. News like this needs to be brought out to the mainstreams.

Naw, then you will get the religious nuts (not saying they all are) saying "God put it there". So until they can 100% prove without a shadow of doubt (not that I think there is any) there will be far too much uproar from certain people to bring it out to the mainstream. That's why many many discoveries in science are never brought to light.

#10 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:27

At first glance, it's quite remarkable... but the findings need to be verified and replicated (e.g. found in other meteorites around the world). Once that happens, the scientific community will likely accept the findings as proof that life originated from outer space.

#11 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• 1,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:28

****ing nonsense.

Life on Earth began when an almighty being designed them using his hands and then took a ribcage and made a man and oh god I can't type this with a straight face...

Maybe that almighty being is what sent the metorite with organisms hurling towards earth...

#12 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,026 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:29

****ing nonsense.

i literally lol'd just now

#13 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,485 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:30

****ing nonsense.

I LOL'd. Religion is the hugest scam in human history. Oh here, pass this basket around and put your money in it. You'll go to heaven when you die. LOL!

#14 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:39

At first glance, it's quite remarkable... but the findings need to be verified and replicated (e.g. found in other meteorites around the world). Once that happens, the scientific community will likely accept the findings as proof that life originated from outer space.

It actually doesn't confirm life came from outer space. It just confirms a possible transportation method, and doesn't answer the question of how THAT life came about (probably still abiogenesis). In fact, life still could've initiated on our planet without comet involvement.

#15 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:44

Something has to be wrong with this. IF this were true wouldn't this be gigantic news?