Use dd to make a USB flash drive warm/hot?

I was shown a long time ago how to make a USB drive real warm including hot (like it hurts to touch) using the dd command but I dont remember. It really serves no prupose other than to show off and yes, I know it will cause wear and tear faster on the drive.

You could also see read/write speeds with this I think.

Anyways, how do you do it?

Be very, very careful using dd. Always make sure you have the right target selected. It can easily destroy data if you make a mistake and do something unintentionally!

Be very, very careful using dd. Always make sure you have the right target selected. It can easily destroy data if you make a mistake and do something unintentionally!

Yup :) Aware of Disk Destroyer's abilities :p Thanks for the friendly reminder.

Ill try the benchmark and see if that heats it up.

I have never heard of dd being used specifically to make a drive "hot" before, but its likely that Haggis' solution is the closest you're going to get. The purpose of dd is to read and write binary images, not affect the temperature of your disk. Its possible that a drive could heat up if you use dd to write to the disk rapidly - which is what I think Haggis was suggesting by providing the dd benchmarking information - but the temperature difference depends heavily on the physical disk you are using. Tactilely heating the disk is a potential, unintentional side-effect of the utility.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish/why you're doing this - but as others suggested, just transfer a really large file (such as an ISO or movie, etc.) and use the dd command. Why are you intentionally trying to get a flash drive hot?

Connect USB connectors to the Firewire header. It will send voltage to the data lines as soon as something's connected... fire down the wire, get it, get it? Heheheh *cough*

Did this accidentially some time ago, half-asleep. Bye bye, 25 years of Kingston anniversary drive. Made it real "warm". Controller didn't even suspect a thing and, also, survived, quite surprisingly.

Ok, this is totally not what you asked... but it's uberfun!

I have never heard of dd being used specifically to make a drive "hot" before, but its likely that Haggis' solution is the closest you're going to get. The purpose of dd is to read and write binary images, not affect the temperature of your disk. Its possible that a drive could heat up if you use dd to write to the disk rapidly - which is what I think Haggis was suggesting by providing the dd benchmarking information - but the temperature difference depends heavily on the physical disk you are using. Tactilely heating the disk is a potential, unintentional side-effect of the utility.

Yes, this serves absolutely no purpose at all.....how do I get dd to write to the disk rapidly? I would just get /dev/null and write that to the disk.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish/why you're doing this - but as others suggested, just transfer a really large file (such as an ISO or movie, etc.) and use the dd command. Why are you intentionally trying to get a flash drive hot?

It serves no purpose at all, just to show off and know how to do it. There is no reason what so ever behind this.

Ill just transfer /dev/null to the drive.

But how do I make it transfer quick? using bs?

syntax is :

dd if=<enter full path of file on your hdd/sdd to copy> of=<full path to where to copy it to> bs=1024k