win8

240 replies to this topic

#121 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:39

If it were a suitable desktop OS as you so frequently claim, you wouldn't have to use it on a touchscreen to find it useful.

Aside from the Surface, I don't. My desktop isn't touch... yet.

#122 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:51

So instead of using desktop shortcuts (which I guess is like a feature you guys consider to be sooooooooooo unbelievably horrible), you suggest I resort to creating a batch file?! No thanks.

Show me where in an official statement from Microsoft, in the Windows 8 documentation somewhere, that desktop shortcuts are now such a big no-no.

DO not like how I use it? FINE. But to sit here and tell me they should not be used is just ridiculous. I like how I use them. If you do not, then again, fine. Everybody uses their computers differently.

For gods sake, did I ONCE say I am unable to click using the start screen? NO. I prefer desktop shortcuts. I prefer the Start Menu where everything was nice and organized in collapsible folders. Word is pinned to my taskbar already. But in the cases where I need OneNote or Access, I open the folder that has every office icon in there. MUCH better than throwing everything in the start screen where it is visible whether you need it once in a blue moon or need it every day.

But if your machine is cluttered as much as you say it is with multiple Windows, desktop icons and rummaging through the All Apps menu are a cumbersome experience. There are better ways to launch the apps you need in a timely manner. Microsoft has developed multiple quick and easy ways to launch stuff, and you're fighting tooth and nail every bit of it.

You complain that upon Start, you need to click into the desktop, click into this, and click into that. Why not upon Start, just start typing the name of the app you need, hit 'Enter', and go from there? You're hands are already (presumably) still on the keyboard from logging in, and it would save you massive amounts of your time. This is the UX Microsoft is trying to gear users toward. Desktop icons haven't been really needed since the XP days.

#123 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:53

But if your machine is cluttered as much as you say it is with multiple Windows, desktop icons and rummaging through the All Apps menu are a cumbersome experience. There are better ways to launch the apps you need in a timely manner. Microsoft has developed multiple quick and easy ways to launch stuff, and you're fighting tooth and nail every bit of it.

You complain that upon Start, you need to click into the desktop, click into this, and click into that. Why not upon Start, just start typing the name of the app you need, hit 'Enter', and go from there? You're hands are already (presumably) still on the keyboard from logging in, and it would save you massive amounts of your time.

Nope, they are not. I am the sole person on my computer, so I have it auto log in to my account. My hands are nowhere near the keyboard right at boot.

The point is, it is not cluttered at all with desktop shortcuts. I can throw stuff I need once in a blue moon in a folder and open that folder whenever I need it. Contrast that to the Start Screen where everything is just THERE no matter if you need it every day or not.

#124 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:57

Contrast that to the Start Screen where everything is just THERE no matter if you need it every day or not.

Not true at all. You're free to unpin anything and everything from it that you don't want there. You know that.

#125 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 18:00

Not true at all. You're free to unpin anything and everything from it that you don't want there. You know that.

That is what is not true. All Apps. Everything is just there isn't it? No way to collapse the sections?

#126 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 18:05

That is what is not true. All Apps. Everything is just there isn't it? No way to collapse the sections?

All Apps != Start Screen.

Not sure how you prefer that over Searching. It's a cumbersome UX no matter what OS you use.

#127 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 March 2013 - 18:15

My god you guys are acting like I am just sitting here punching kittens for the fun of it. If Microsoft does not want users to use desktop shortcuts anymore, REMOVE THE FUNCTIONALITY.

Every time you create/use a shortcut on your desktop, a kitten dies.

p.s. Microsoft allows you to store music and documents in C:\Windows*. I hope you store all your stuff in there.

*or whatever is your %windir%

All Apps != Start Screen.

Not sure how you prefer that over Searching. It's a cumbersome UX no matter what OS you use.

His hands are not near his keyboard apparently. So he can't type when launching applications.

#128 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:26

Every time you create/use a shortcut on your desktop, a kitten dies.

p.s. Microsoft allows you to store music and documents in C:\Windows*. I hope you store all your stuff in there.

*or whatever is your %windir%

His hands are not near his keyboard apparently. So he can't type when launching applications.

Nice, you are comparing to using a feature that everything uses (install a program "Would you like a desktop shortcut?") to throwing music files in the windows directory? You are really saying those two things are the same?

Wow....SHOW ME where Microsoft has said using desktop shortcuts are evil.

#129 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:44

So instead of using desktop shortcuts (which I guess is like a feature you guys consider to be sooooooooooo unbelievably horrible), you suggest I resort to creating a batch file?! No thanks.

Show me where in an official statement from Microsoft, in the Windows 8 documentation somewhere, that desktop shortcuts are now such a big no-no.

DO not like how I use it? FINE. But to sit here and tell me they should not be used is just ridiculous. I like how I use them. If you do not, then again, fine. Everybody uses their computers differently.

For gods sake, did I ONCE say I am unable to click using the start screen? NO. I prefer desktop shortcuts. I prefer the Start Menu where everything was nice and organized in collapsible folders. Word is pinned to my taskbar already. But in the cases where I need OneNote or Access, I open the folder that has every office icon in there. MUCH better than throwing everything in the start screen where it is visible whether you need it once in a blue moon or need it every day.

Nobody asked you NOT to use the method you prefer until you started whining about it.
And it is whining because now there are other better ways to do what you are trying to do. If you do not like them and want to stick to old ways, nobody will say anything until you start to whine about it.

#130 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:46

Nice, you are comparing to using a feature that everything uses (install a program "Would you like a desktop shortcut?") to throwing music files in the windows directory? You are really saying those two things are the same?

Wow....SHOW ME where Microsoft has said using desktop shortcuts are evil.

IIRC MS Office does not have option to create desktop shortcut. (it's been a while since I installed it though)

#131 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:49

we're sitting here making suggestions on how you could do things because you're sitting here complaining how you have to take a quarter of a second to press the desktop tile among other things

if you despise the start screen so much and want the start menu back why not just install Start8 or similar?
you got Windows 8 at the discount price I'm sure. $5 more isn't going to kill you, especially if it gives you a more comfortable experience

#132 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 20:55

MUCH better than throwing everything in the start screen where it is visible whether you need it once in a blue moon or need it every day.

Once again, All Apps != Start Screen. :sleep2:

You can't blame MS for moving on. Again, shuffling through desktop and All Apps clutter is a thing of the past. Search is the new All Apps, and it's what Microsoft wants to build off of, and you can't blame them, it's a pretty powerful tool, and much faster than clicking through everything. The fact that you want to ignore this and app pinning is not Windows's or Microsoft fault. It's nothing they are going to fix - it's nothing they can fix, and nor should they.

#133 P.M.K

P.M.K

Digital Mind Control

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:18

Also, don't judge Windows 8 until you've used it via touch, then you'll see why things are the way they are.

What a silly comment....................

What if I don't want to use it via a touch device??

If that is the case then there should have been a touch version and a non touch version.

#134 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:21

we're sitting here making suggestions on how you could do things because you're sitting here complaining how you have to take a quarter of a second to press the desktop tile among other things

if you despise the start screen so much and want the start menu back why not just install Start8 or similar?
you got Windows 8 at the discount price I'm sure. $5 more isn't going to kill you, especially if it gives you a more comfortable experience

So do you consider any product review that voices anything they do no like as whining? I can no longer like a product but have things I hate about it?

I was asked why I like to boot to desktop instead of sticking in the start screen. I explained that I prefer the desktop icons. THEN everybody just got on my case.

Again. Tell me where I can find an official statement that desktop shortcuts are now severely evil to the point where you guys resort to calling my methods messy. Do you consider a person who puts their bills and insurance information in file folders messy? It is called being organized.

It is you guys that are the problem here. I am a very nice guy, but I do not just sit around while you guys just sit there and act like I am doing the worst thing in the world by using desktop shortcuts. So if you attack my methods, yes I will get frustrated and defend them as best as I can. Not that I have to. I have my methods. You have yours.

Did Microsoft actually say desktop icons are a huge, major, massive, no-no? Then why are you guys saying it? Why the hell does it matter to you if I use desktop icons?

I have used start8 before. I do not like using third party OS tools. I was simply saying MS should have pub a simple, little, tiny, small check box to boot directly to the desktop and hide the hot corners.

In a corporate environment, start8 would not be installed.

#135 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:26

So do you consider any product review that voices anything they do no like as whining? I can no longer like a product but have things I hate about it?

I was asked why I like to boot to desktop instead of sticking in the start screen. I explained that I prefer the desktop icons. THEN everybody just got on my case.

Again. Tell me where I can find an official statement that desktop shortcuts are now severely evil to the point where you guys resort to calling my methods messy. Do you consider a person who puts their bills and insurance information in file folders messy? It is called being organized.

It is you guys that are the problem here. I am a very nice guy, I do not just sit around while you guys just sit there and act like I am doing the worst thing in the world by using desktop shortcuts. So if you attack my methods, yes I will get frustrated and defend them as best as I can. Not that I have to. I have my methods. You have yours.

Did Microsoft actually say desktop icons are a huge, major, massive, no-no? Then why are you guys saying it? Why the hell does it matter to you if I use desktop icons?

I have used start8 before. I do not like using third party OS tools. I was simply saying MS should have pub a simple, little, tiny, small check box to boot directly to the desktop and hide the hot corners.

In a corporate environment, start8 would not be installed.

it's fine to complain about something you don't like with a new product but it get's old after a bit, especially when you shoot down everyone that tries to help you work around what you don't like and just continue to complain

and as far as the MS saying that using desktop icons is bad, they've hinted at wanting people to move away from them at least a few times over the past few years or so but they've never "officially" said stop using them