pennsylvania u.s. state department visa costs argentina

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:10

"We have been exploited by McDonald's because we have been working for McDonald's but we did not receive overtime or the fact that we have been put to be on-call all day had to do with the way McDonald's designed our schedules," he said."

Not getting overtime is not exploitation and neither is being on call. Sounds like he just woke up to the harsh realities of the US fast food workforce.

That doesn't have ANYthing to do with the point I was refuting!

Sheesh... Don't you lot ever read anything properly?

#17 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:21

That doesn't have ANYthing to do with the point I was refuting!

Sheesh... Don't you lot ever read anything properly?

Really? You didn't say anything about what the people were complaining about? Do you really think people are that dumb? You said "If you had, you'd know what they were complaining about." I gave you a direct quote showing what they were complaining about. Looks like the only one having issues understanding or reading here is you.

if i work past my 40 hrs u should be payed over time, if your put on call u should be payed overtime. being on call is an inconvinience

Notice the way you worded that though. You said past "YOUR 40 hours" as if that is all you expected to work. Overtime pay is not a right. If its not in your work contract, that's your own fault. If this guy didn't have it in his contract to be paid overtime, he has no ground to stand on. If being on call is such a big inconvenience, you don't take a job that requires it. It is not a hard concept. This kid flew in from another country on the companies dime. That means he signed contracts before he ever left. He should read his contract before accepting the job. It is that simple. If I accept a job that says I will never get overtime, I am not going to complain about exploitation. I am going to not accept that job if it is that big of a deal.

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:31

Really? You didn't say anything about what the people were complaining about? Do you really think people are that dumb? You said "If you had, you'd know what they were complaining about." I gave you a direct quote showing what they were complaining about. Looks like the only one having issues understanding or reading here is you.

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown... "Good grief."

I replied to the Laughing Man because the point he raised was NOT what they were bitching about and pointed out he clearly hadn't read the article. Then you stuck your oar in, quoting part of the article, but what the hell does that have to do with my pointing out Laughing Man's error?

I didn't bother to quote the relevant parts of the original article because it's IN THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE. If people are too damn lazy to read, I'm not going to pull out the specific parts for them. They need to quit being so lazy and actually READ the original article instead, so "helpful" folks like you are just perpetuating the lazy attitudes.

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,500 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:33

The overtime issue confuses me. Overtime is not a legal right. It is a benefit no different from something like holiday or personal leave.

By Federal law, you must be paid time and a half pay, when you go over 40 hours per week.

I don't know if this does apply to non-US citizens.

#20 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:36

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown... "Good grief."

I replied to the Laughing Man because the point he raised was NOT what they were bitching about and pointed out he clearly hadn't read the article. Then you stuck your oar in, quoting part of the article, but what the hell does that have to do with my pointing out Laughing Man's error?

I didn't bother to quote the relevant parts of the original article because it's IN THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE. If people are too damn lazy to read, I'm not going to pull out the specific parts for them. They need to quit being so lazy and actually READ the original article instead, so "helpful" folks like you are just perpetuating the lazy attitudes.

So in other words, it did have something to do with what you said. Remember you claimed it have ANYTHING to do with it. Thanks for letting everyone know you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

#21 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:38

So in other words, it did have something to do with what you said. Remember you claimed it have ANYTHING to do with it. Thanks for letting everyone know you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Nope. .Their hourly rate is never mentioned as being the point they're complaining about, just the hours worked. So his point had nothing to do with the complaint.

#22 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:39

By Federal law, you must be paid time and a half pay, when you go over 40 hours per week.

I have never gotten overtime pay in my life, even when I worked 60 hours. The concept doesn't even make sense to me. It is not like you are magically more productive after 40 hours and deserve more money. Get paid for the job you do. Simple as that.

Nope. .Their hourly rate is never mentioned as being the point they're complaining about, just the hours worked. So his point had nothing to do with the complaint.

And I quoted what they were actually complaining about... so yes, what I said did have to do with it. So again, you are still just arguing to argue without a valid point.Remember, we are talking about the quote I gave, not what someone else said.

#23 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:42

"We expected to have 40 hours of work a week, but we were given as little as four hours a week at the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour,"

That's defiantly complaining since it really didn't need mentioning.

#24 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,500 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:46

I have never gotten overtime pay in my life, even when I worked 60 hours. The concept doesn't even make sense to me. It is not like you are magically more productive after 40 hours and deserve more money. Get paid for the job you do. Simple as that.

^ You must not be in the USA.

Wage and Hour Division (WHD)

Overtime Pay

Overview

The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay. There is no limit in the Act on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. The Act does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.

The Act applies on a workweek basis. An employee's workweek is a fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours — seven consecutive 24-hour periods. It need not coincide with the calendar week, but may begin on any day and at any hour of the day. Different workweeks may be established for different employees or groups of employees.

http://www.dol.gov/w...vertime_pay.htm

#25 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,886 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:47

Jorge Rios, 27, came to the United States in December 2012. As part of a J-1 summer work travel program with a student work visa from the U.S. State Department, Rios said he was not paid overtime and had to be on call at all times of the day as an employee at a McDonald's near Harrisburg, Pa.

He and about 17 other foreign students say they paid around $3,000 to $4,000 for visa costs, plane tickets and other expenses.

Who the **** gets a J1 exchange visa to work at McDonalds lol?

Generally speaking a J1 visa is so you can get work experience in your related field. So if you're training to be a pilot, with a J1 visa you could build up work experience by working as instructor.

If you're getting it so you can work at McDonalds, you're seriously seriously wasting your money...

#26 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,300 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:57

Wait 'till they terminate the J-1 summer work travel program, then everyone else will be screwed by him.

#27 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,399 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:16

Nobody is understanding the fact that none of this **** would fly if they did it to an American citizen. That's the point he is trying to make. What is the purpose of visiting America to learn about us when all he's learned is how to be exploited by a ubiquitous American corporation?

#28 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,137 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:37

Nobody is understanding the fact that none of this **** would fly if they did it to an American citizen. That's the point he is trying to make. What is the purpose of visiting America to learn about us when all he's learned is how to be exploited by a ubiquitous American corporation?

Anyone who works fast food is being legally exploited as it is. Soon all of America will be filled with 30 hours a week part timers.

#29 stokhli

stokhli

Neowinian

• 49 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:58

It's not that it doesn't apply to a non-US citizen, overtime doesn't apply to temp or seasonal work. If you are a full time employee then you get overtime by law if you work over 40 hours but this law only applies to full time employees.

#30 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,931 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:06

I'm not doubting your word on this but do you have a link or something to that law?
I regularly work over 40 hours per week and am on call 24/7/365 and don't get paid any overtime.

Edit: Saw the link you posted above. I fall under one of the exemptions.