Mama

I first knew about this movie when they played the short film it's based on before Django Unchained at the theater.

If you haven't seen it, this is it (in Spanish, sorry about that):

The film is presented (not directed, or even produced) by Guillermo del Toro and if you go by what you see in the short film it looks interesting. Maybe not awesome, but interesting.

OK so, how's the actual movie? To put it short: it sucks donkey balls.

Cheap scares, abuse of CGI and a sequence that tries to shoehorn the whole short film in a story that has a completely different vibe to what you could get on the short.

And when I say cheap scares I mean really cheap: my wife is the kind of person that gets really scared with horror films yet she didn't bat an eyelid on this one.

Seriously: long haired women (or small girls) with freaky moves can be somewhat disturbing but that doesn't make for a horror movie on it's own.

Cheap scares, abuse of CGI and a sequence that tries to shoehorn the whole short film in a story that has a completely different vibe to what you could get on the short.

And when I say cheap scares I mean really cheap: my wife is the kind of person that gets really scared with horror films yet she didn't bat an eyelid on this one.

This. I rarely go to see a film that I don't enjoy, but every twist and turn was completely obvious if you took a logical look at it.

Film felt cheap overall.

I'd give it a 2/5. And that's only because I thought the storyline wasn't uninteresting.

• 2 months later...

Oh god this film, i can't add to anything what you guys have said other than agree.

Some horrible horrible CGI, the trailer was the best thing about it.

• 1 month later...

Oh god this film, i can't add to anything what you guys have said other than agree.

Some horrible horrible CGI, the trailer was the best thing about it.

If by Horrible you meant the CGI hair, because mama was a guy in makeup. They just CGI'ed the hair. Except for at the end.

Damn you all. I heard this movie was supposed to be decent so I was interested in watching it. Now I'm already disappointed! Why can't anyone make a good scary movie anymore?

Damn you all. I heard this movie was supposed to be decent so I was interested in watching it. Now I'm already disappointed! Why can't anyone make a good scary movie anymore?

For the record, I liked it. You can tell when I think the movie is going out of their way to scare, because i'll have a smile on my face. I was smiling a lot during this film.