Driver Assistance Required, Apply Within

I get the odd job from the neighbours to fix machines up, today I have an old E-SYSTEM tower

It had XP MC installed, the machine is being given away to someone so they just wanted it flattened and reinstalled

There is a perfectly good XP MC Recovery partition which I can fall back onto if this doesn't work, but I am trying to get Windows 7 running on it to give it at least a few years of good use and support for whoever is getting it instead of XP which will work but .... you know..

So anyway, everything installs and works fine apart from the ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series onboard GPU

The latest driver I can find from AMD (ATI) is 10-2 for Vista 32bit, and this is the weird bit

The driver installs fine, normal install and compatibility mode installs work, the PC reboots, Aero works, graphics card is great, runs fine, but as soon as I reboot again, it uninstalls itself from Device Manager

I've done this about 10 times now using different compatibility modes, drivers for XP, drivers for different model cards suggested from 4 year old forums posts..... with exactly the same result each time, the only issue I can see in Device Manager is there is a Secondary entry for the Graphics, named "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series Secondary" when the Vista drivers are installed, and this has the explanation mark against it and details say there are not enough system resources to enable this device.

Like I say, its not life threatening and XP can be reinstalled, but its irritating that the drivers work 100% after the initial reboot but the next reboot after that uninstalls them from device manager

Any ideas? :)

It could well be the the GPU is under too much stress to produce the aero glass effect?

Could you turn off Aero and have the theme as Aero Basic and then see if it still uninstalls?

It could well be the the GPU is under too much stress to produce the aero glass effect?

Could you turn off Aero and have the theme as Aero Basic and then see if it still uninstalls?

I`ll give that a shot :)

Maybe the driver went on strike :D

Huh, i believe you but i wrote that actual guide and i tried it and it worked fine - sadly no longer got the hardware to try it again. SORRY.

Actually, just noticed your link was for an older driver, I was trying 10-2 not 9-8... let me try again

Add RAM ?

Install a cheap graphics card ?

Naa... they're not going to be gaming on it, and XP would probably suffice, I just don't like it to beat me when I can see it should be working :p

Still no dice, Disabling Aero gave it one extra reboot than normal then died again

Using 9-8 instead of 10-2 worked for a shutdown and boot, but a restart killed it again

Thanks for the help, this has to go back tomorrow and its 1:10am now, and now I have to wait for XP to install and update everything from 1870 or whenever it was released so not messing around any more

Cheers ! :)

How weird that a restart kills it. That said i think it was a slightly different model as yours is the secondary :/ Anyhoo. Why not slipstream Vista SP2 and install that? it's almost the same as 7.

If it has XP on it, and it works fine on XP, couldn't you tell windows to look in the XP folders and try to load those drivers then tell windows not to update?