Photo

CPU Fan Too Loud. Even the Second Fan Is Too Loud!

cpu cpu fan intel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:02

I have a Core i3 Desktop PC. Recently, I noticed that the CPU fan is too loud. I replaced it with a new one. The new fan is also loud. But, the new one goes to full speed and scream loudly at boot and then settles. There's no over heating issues and the CPU seems to be fine. Im using an H61MX Foxconn motherboard. Is it a problem with the board? Do I have to replace it? Any software to test the board for defects?

#2 Semtex

Semtex

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:06

What kind of cooler You have?

#3 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:12

What kind of cooler You have?

A standard Intel Cooler. The original CPU cooler came for the CPU. At first, it didn't give me such a big sound. But now its coming. Just bought a new one... Its also an original intel cooler. It also have the loud noise and its the one which go full speed at boot and then settles.

#4 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:12

Going loudly at boot is normal for a lot of machines--are you saying it's still too loud even after it "settles"?

#5 Semtex

Semtex

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:16

Go into Your BIOS-> find something like Hardware Monitor or similar -> change CPU fan speed to, for example, 50% set temperature limit to 50°C, save changes and reboot.
Personally I advice You to change this stock Intel cooler, for something with 120mm fan, temps will be lower and less noise around ;)

#6 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:16

Going loudly at boot is normal for a lot of machines--are you saying it's still too loud even after it "settles"?

Yep :) Started very recently...

#7 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:18

Mine does the same thing at boot, but settles down after the BIOS screen. I replaced my fan with an Corsair H60 water cooler and seems to be a lot quieter plus it's 7-10 degrees cooler than on air. :)

#8 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:20

Make sure power saving options like Intel Speedstep are enabled so the CPU clocks down when idle

Double check the heatsink is attached firmly and thermal paste is good

#9 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:21

Yep :) Started very recently...

what is your CPU temps at idle in windows??

#10 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:22

Yeah, people have already mentioned what I was going to suggest--check the heatsink and thermal paste and make sure nothing's come loose or gotten dusty/gunked up, then check what options you have for it in the BIOS. If something just recently changed than it's more likely along the lines of the first idea than the second.

#11 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:23

Well as it was explained to me, even though your temps are normal what is keeping it normal is the speed of the fan (to increase cooling). Higher fan speed = equals more noise = what the computer needs to keep it at that temp.

There could be other environmental issues going on, improper heat sink conductivity, lots of dust, or decreased air flow in the case either by obstructions in or around the case or putting it into a sealed cabinet or a cabinet that has no air flow.

Computers need to breathe. Even water cooled needs to breathe, although they require less fan speed to keep them cool which means they are generally quieter.

#12 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:27

I suspect your room is very warm, and the cooling is not enough.

I would leave the case panel open -- use a floor fan if you have one.

#13 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:27

There's no dust... I have cleaned everything! The temperature is normal... I have even used a new thermal paste. With the old fan, the cpu temp went upto 65C recently with the loud sound. Then I applied a new thermal paste and the heat came down to 37 to 45 C. Now for the new CPU fan also I used a new thermal paste!

#14 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:35

it means your cpu is heating up and the fan increases speed to cool it down. you probably need to redo the thermal grease.its probably cooked.

#15 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:46

it means your cpu is heating up and the fan increases speed to cool it down. you probably need to redo the thermal grease.its probably cooked.

Re added the grease :( Is it a problem with the CPU or with the motherboard?