win7

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:01

I really don't care if you install it or not. I obtained it from a reputable souce. MS decided that it was not going to put it on Windows Update. You have a problem call Ballmer.

Dang dude,
Lighten up!!

I simply said I wasn't going to jump right on this YET and would keep track of topic to see what others might say. How many people do you know that don't jump right on an OFFICIAL SP release from MS ?

Sheesh!!

#47 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:06

joking aside, does anyone actually add these kind of rollups (or service packs for that matter) on live production servers, without actually testing the 5h1t out of it in your test env first (if you have one of course, if not why the hell not VMware player/ESXi costs nada?

If it was me, id sack any tech/engineer who thought that was actually a sensible way to go in my line of work and department tbvh.

Its from MS so it will be ok....errr no :) MS can only test it to their parameters, they don't know all the quirks and diff from the norm setups deployed worldwide.

and lets face it, been plenty of QA tested releases that have broken Windows in the past.

#48 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:27

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I've been working, and catching up here and there when I can. Didn't notice this thread. Thank you!

#49 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 22:26

I dont know maybe I am doing this wrong but the largest file here is 31mb? I know SP1 was almost 1gb, just the 107 updates currently in my image are way more than 31mb. So where is the rest of it? I was hoping I could add this to MDT and be done with alot less crap. But this does not seem to be the right files.

#50 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 March 2013 - 22:40

Gonna slap this on my workstation tomorrow and see what's up. :p It's getting a backup now anyways so big deal if it crashes, just restore the image in the morning and keep it moving! :)

#51 Jeff Stokes

Jeff Stokes

Neowinian

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:35

I dont know maybe I am doing this wrong but the largest file here is 31mb? I know SP1 was almost 1gb, just the 107 updates currently in my image are way more than 31mb. So where is the rest of it? I was hoping I could add this to MDT and be done with alot less crap. But this does not seem to be the right files.

You can import the files into WSUS and point MDT at it.

#52 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 25 March 2013 - 21:53

Given this is not a service pack but a performance-related rollup targeting specifically slow boot, slow logon, and related performance issues, you aren't going to get 1GB of binaries. In fact, I'd say the performance benefits of this rollup (again, it's a targeted rollup, not a service pack) versus the size is pretty incredible.

As to the testing questions, this is not a security update and has not been tested as such, but these updates (individually) have been tested many (many many) times over in enterprises large and small. However, they are still considered hotfixes and should be tested in your test labs for any kind of issues before you release them to the wild.

#53 bittin

bittin

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:31

Cool stuff :)

#54 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 11 May 2013 - 13:09

They really need to put out a post-SP1 security rollup, it takes an eternity installing 120 individual updates where we refurbish 10~ machines a day at work.

#55 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:48

I would postulate that continuing to rebuild machines without either hosting your own WSUS server or using Microsoft's (free) MDT tool to do so is definitely not a good idea. If you use MDT to host Windows, applications, drivers, and hotfixes/non-security updates, and point MDT's rules at your WSUS server for updates you will find it much quicker and easier to do what you're doing. There's a slight learning curve, but it's slight, and it will save you hours on the other end not doing everything slowly or by hand.

#56 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:05

this isnt a rollup, its what 9 or so patches?

I ran KUC on my rig on friday night and it installed approx 400 missing updates on my SP1 system, can see here now eg, I have some extra options on the tcp config, check the last 3 lines.

C:\windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State          : disabled
Chimney Offload State               : automatic
NetDMA State                        : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA)            : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : restricted
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : ctcp
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled
Initial RTO                         : 3000
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency             : disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions             : 2

I have the initial RTO on my laptop also which was installed of a custom Win7 SP1 usb stick I made with integrated hotfixes upto oct 2012, of course now my laptop is now 10 months behind.

#57 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 Up1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 21 January 2014 - 20:31

I hope someone can help me here. I want to download this but I am confused as I have already downloaded several files. Isn't the hotfix roll up just one file?

if it is where can I download?

Also I don't use any servers but I am sure the hot-fixes are still good to install. Does this fix that pesky issue with printers disappearing from the Printers and Devices section?

My father keeps having this problem with local and network printers and i want to finally find a stop to it!