australia sick leave bravery lifeguards

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:49

Dumb as hell and he shouldnt of been fired. The company was looking for an excuse. He was on sick leave for stress and he was taking a vacation which Drs normally subscribe for stress. Its not like he claimed he had a bad back and was seen wrestling sharks. Even if he did have a bad back or anything else wrong with him other than stress....he saw his kids were in danger and took action. Pain doesnt matter when famly members, your kids, are in danger. Body reacts and you tend to forget about that and focus on what you need to do to protect your kids.

It's also worth pointing out that wrestling a shark cannot be less stressful than staying at home.

Are you serious? He was not planning on wrestling a shark. He was RELAXING and saw a shark going towards his kids and he reacted. Should he of just let the shark go at his kids because he was worried he was going to aggravate his stress and get fired?

#17 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:56

Vacation is great stress relief.

Never heard of the phrase, "need a vacation from my vacation" Vacations are more stressful than sitting at home and relaxing. A trip to Australia... the airports alone are a ton of stress for a trip that long.

#18 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,091 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:06

but when in vacation you see some kid eaten by sharks, it may became traumatic, and accumulate more stress.
I personaly do not wish to see another human being eaten in front of my eyes.

#19 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:09

but when in vacation you see some kid eaten by sharks, it may became traumatic, and accumulate more stress.
I personaly do not wish to see another human being eaten in front of my eyes.

Don't watch Jaws or Jurassic Park...sorry... I should have said spoiler alert

#20 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 14:30

A two month long sick leave?!

I don't even have an assigned family doctor!

#21 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,931 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 14:43

Unless a holiday abroad was specifically approved as a treatment for work-related stress then it's only right that they were fired. It's also worth pointing out that wrestling a shark cannot be less stressful than staying at home.

^ this fairly much.

#22 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,489 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 14:55

He got what he deserved.

Did his wife get the bullet also?

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,830 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:23

Are you serious? He was not planning on wrestling a shark. He was RELAXING and saw a shark going towards his kids and he reacted. Should he of just let the shark go at his kids because he was worried he was going to aggravate his stress and get fired?

It wouldn't have been an issue had the holiday been approved by the employer or doctor. I think it's great that he acted on instinct and helped protect the children—he should be commended for that—but he also has to face the consequences of his actions. Obviously he didn't set out to wrestle a shark but the result was the same.

I think the part that's not getting much attention is that the couple both worked for the same company, were both signed off for work related stress and then ended up going on holiday to Australia together. It seems highly suspicious, particularly given that work related stress relies on a degree of self-diagnosis.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,102 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:55

still it's a sick leave; in my country a person who's in a sick leave can only leave the house in a specific schedule; there's also surprise visits from work inspectors to check if the person is not cheating the leave; if caught then they can be justifiable fired.

if they wanted to rest from stress and had no vacations left then a no pay leave is enough.

So how's the weather down there in North Korea ?

That's absolutely ridiculous. Fact is, you can be sick in many ways, and the employer don't have any rights to control what you do when you're "home" sick. while the specific rules vary from country to country and some countries have absolutely backwards rules, though not to the extent you describe(over here the work place would be charged with illegal surveillance and control measures of an employee), over here you can do whatever you want, including going away IF it doesn't negatively affect your recovery. On the same not, if you get sick on vacation, the days you are sick are counted as sick days and not vacation days. In some cases the doctros will recommend and in extreme cases even prescribe trips abroad.

But no matter what, they can't force you to stay at home, in your house. for a lot of sick reason getting out and getting fresh air is in fact something you need to do, and just because you're sick and can't be at work doesn't mean you can't be outside or such.

Being home sick and then posting pictures of yourself drunk at a party, yeah, that's grounds for a warning the first time and then firing the second time, maybe even the first time depending on the severity.

But nothing in this story indicates they broke the trust or anything of their employer. They where sick and left the country to be with friends and relax to get better. based on that video alone, this company would not be allowed under work laws to fire them.

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,830 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 14 March 2013 - 16:14

But nothing in this story indicates they broke the trust or anything of their employer. They where sick and left the country to be with friends and relax to get better. based on that video alone, this company would not be allowed under work laws to fire them.

I wouldn't assume their termination was legal. I took the time to read the full article and it seems that the doctor did advise the couple to go on holiday, which means the couple could take it to an employment tribunal and have their termination overturned. It seems the couple were in the right.

#26 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,215 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 17:25

I say, drop off his employer with the shark. :p

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:45

Did his wife get the bullet also?

I believe so.

#28 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,884 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:59

I took the time to read the full article and it seems that the doctor did advise the couple to go on holiday . . .

I appreciate the research; In that case I fully side with that of the Man and Woman. They should not have been fired for following doctors orders by doing something that should theoretically reduce stress. Imagine how much stress they have now... Sad really, poor guy is a Hero.

#29 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:37

So how's the weather down there in North Korea ?

Rainy :D

it's not the employer who controls if the employe is at home while sick, but the Social Security, at least in my country; just checked their site and it says:
"the worker cannot leave home except: - for medical treatment or - from 11AM to 15PM and 18PM to 21PM, if the doctor allows it per writen". This happens because there were lots of fellas that putted a sick leave for months and they weren't sick to begin with (some went to travel, others had a second job or just plain lazyness).

I wouldn't assume their termination was legal. I took the time to read the full article and it seems that the doctor did advise the couple to go on holiday, which means the couple could take it to an employment tribunal and have their termination overturned. It seems the couple were in the right.

well this just changes everything then; if they have some paper assigned by that doctor who advised to go on a trip maybe that holds in court.

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,102 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:45

To bad those limitations serve no purpose outside of making people be sick for longer.