Music Players Keep Pausing?

Hey guys,

I've noticed that this has started happening in about the last 3 or 4 days. I've used Double Twist for the longest time without any problems, but a few days ago I noticed that it seemed to get stuck. Just for less than a second, then it would continue to play the music. But this was getting annoying for me as it was happening every few seconds, so I decided to look around for a different player.

My first choice was Winamp, and I must admit it was growing on me. Just the fact that it didn't stutter was good enough. But then I noticed that my music would keep pausing for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't matter if my phone is in standby or if I keep the screen on, after about a minute or two the player decides to pause. I thought maybe there was an issue with Double Twist and Winamp being installed at the same time, so I removed Double Twist but the pausing has continued.

My next step was to remove Winamp and reinstall Double Twist. But now the issue happens in Double Twist as well (the stuttering has gone, though). Finally, I tried using the stock music player to see if that would provide the same pausing error. It did.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be happening? Part of me thinks I'm missing something obvious, but I don't really have time at the moment to do decent troubleshooting so I figured I would see if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Cheers guys!

Do you got any notifications that could be doing it? Typically those will pause it.

Also one of those is very annoying "Google Talk authentication failed" will do it about every 15-20 minutes for me.

This happens when you have a google account associated on your phone that is not tied to a gmail account (google apps mail, custom domain email, etc...) and the only fix is a reset and/or you "fixing" your account and associating it with gmail and having that is your login. That happened to me all the time and that was the fix.

Do you got any notifications that could be doing it? Typically those will pause it.

Notifications shouldn't pause the music, they should fade out the music, then notification sound plays, then music resumes at full volume. This is what happens on my Galaxy Nexus (toro), for every music player I've ever used.

I've only got the internal memory, so I think that rules out an SD card. :p I'd also be surprised if it was a problem with the internal memory as everything else continues to work without an issue.

It's a Samsung Galaxy S3. I could very well be upgrading to the S4 in the next few days, but in the meantime I'd like my current phone to still play music.

It's not to do with notifications. I've stared at the screen while a song has been playing and it has just stopped for no reason. But tsupersonic is correct, if I have sound notifications on my phone then the music fades for a moment while the notification goes off, then the music fades back in again.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

Are you using any EQ settings? Did you root your phone, and possibly install a new ROM by any chance? I ask this because typically when the screen is off, the phone's kernel will downclock the CPU if no intensive background apps are running. Does it happen with built in speaker or headphones or both? And this is even a silly question, but have you tried restarting your phone? :)

Are you using any EQ settings? Did you root your phone, and possibly install a new ROM by any chance? I ask this because typically when the screen is off, the phone's kernel will downclock the CPU if no intensive background apps are running. Does it happen with built in speaker or headphones or both? And this is even a silly question, but have you tried restarting your phone? :)

I'm not using any EQ settings.

My phone is rooted and with a custom ROM (DarkyROM III v8.6) but I would find it hard to believe that either of those were responsible, as I've been on that version ROM for weeks without an issue, and the phone has been rooted for even longer.

It certainly happens with the headphones in. I'm not sure about when they're not in, but I'll have to wait until the end of the day to try that.

And yes, I've tried turning it off and on again. ;)

• 2 months later...

HELP...same problem exactly, heres my device specs...

galaxy nexus verizon 32gb

rooted with aokp_toro_jb_milestone_1 been that way since december of 2012

music pauses with screen off or on with headphones on definitely

and in winamp or google play it dosent matter someone said it could be the stock task manager but i cant figure out how to fix it.