Google Murders AdBlockers from Google Play

Searched, and didn't find this:

It appears Google has begun removing ad-blocker apps for Android from the Play store, citing breached of the Play Store Developer Distribution Agreement. The apps would be welcome back as soon as they no longer violated the agreement, though that doesn't seem possible while keeping the apps' core functionality intact.

Link

What was that about doing no evil? Personally, I'd rather give the developer a few dollars up front for their app, rather than look at ads--They're the most annoying things ever. Just another reason to root your device. I might make the plunge here pretty soon on my N7. How do you guys feel about this?

Searched, and didn't find this:

Link

What was that about doing no evil? Personally, I'd rather give the developer a few dollars up front for their app, rather than look at ads--They're the most annoying things ever. Just another reason to root your device. I might make the plunge here pretty soon on my N7. How do you guys feel about this?

Evil? Really? The apps violated the agreement and thus were removed. I use AdFree for ads that interfere with my device. I am sure the companies making the software will provide an alternative download for them as well.

Evil? Really? The apps violated the agreement and thus were removed. I use AdFree for ads that interfere with my device. I am sure the companies making the software will provide an alternative download for them as well.

They killed all adblockers. They most likely killed Adfree too. You will now have to root and side load that app like you said.

Mixed. On the one hand, it's a bit of a crappy move to force people to look at intrusive ads (there are very few apps on the Android market that get this balance right). On the other hand though, Google are free to do what they like with the Play store, and they have no obligation to host apps that reduce developers (and their own) income, so it makes sense to an extent. It also potentially harms the Android app market having them easily available from the Play store, since it makes app developers potentially less interested in developing apps.

They killed all adblockers. They most likely killed Adfree too. You will now have to root and side load that app like you said.

I am rooted. The only ad blocking app that I am aware of that didnt require root was Adblock. Adfree is removed, however, i am sure hte makers will provide an alternate link to download.

most of them are offered elsewhere and also so long as you already have it installed it does not hurt you any as it does not remove it from your phone.

Talk about a sensational headline. Murder, really? It's an application. I know we talk about "killing" applications, but murder?

Google are within their right to do this. If the app violates the agreement it's that simple. However, Google Play is not the only market out there. Just because they've made this decision doesn't mean that the other markets will follow suit. Even if they do you could probably find the .apk file online somewhere.

• Like 3

lots of ads use location services that drain the battery though and people don't want that... if they were just a text or static graphic that didn't pull up location svcs than people wouldn't be so mad at ads on thier phones... however... that's not the case.

• Like 2

lots of ads use location services that drain the battery though and people don't want that... if they were just a text or static graphic that didn't pull up location svcs than people wouldn't be so mad at ads on thier phones... however... that's not the case.

Bottom line, Ads suck, If I can I will block them on every single device I own, currently attempting to track down all the URLs the WP7 ads use and blocking them at the router, managed to clear about 50% of them so far

• Like 2

As others have said, now it will just be a matter of side loading the .apk to your phone. To get rid of ads anyway,you usually had to be rooted so side loading an ad blocker should not be a problem, or manually editing the hosts file on your phone to block them.

Interesting..It will be funny to see if everyone will defend Google.. If this was Apple, they would be nailed to the cross and set on fire by now..

Guess that open market isn't so open.

However, Google Play is not the only market out there. Just because they've made this decision doesn't mean that the other markets will follow suit.

Which other marketplaces again?

If you have a secure gateway or a router that can do content filtering you can centralize your adblocking there instead of installing software on every client device.

Guess that open market isn't so open.

Market is what it is...and the apps violated the agreement. Market can be as open as it wants, but there are still rules to follow.

If you have a secure gateway or a router that can do content filtering you can centralize your adblocking there instead of installing software on every client device.

My router does

<Thread Cleaned>

You know the rules. If you don't have something constructive to say about the situation, don't bother posting it. Suggesting that you should drop a phone/OS for the competition is unrelated to the topic at hand.

Sensationalist...

Grammatically Incorrect...

Just for starters

Except for the Amazon AppStore, I wouldn't touch anything like Black Market or AppBrain with a ten foot pole. People wonder why malware on Android is so prevalent (even if users aren't falling for it).