Photo

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 +CrossCheck

CrossCheck

i am a retarded disfigured clown

• 704 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:27

Can't cars get their heaters hot air from the engine still ?

not without a heater core. cars get their heat from the coolant that runs through your engine. this explains it all http://www.ehow.com/...eater-work.html

#17 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,597 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:43

Can't cars get their heaters hot air from the engine still ?

You need to understand how a heater core works.

A heater core uses hot coolant to transfer heat to the cabin. Hot coolant flows through the heater core and the blower fan blows air through the core. As air passes through the core air becomes hot then you get hot air in the cabin.

Ultimately the engine heats the coolant prior to getting to the core. It is the same coolant that is in your radiator. Plug the lines to the heater core and you have no heat. This is the way that cars have gotten heat since before I was born.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:04

Got ya, never investigated how they worked before, just assumed it was fans pulling air over some part of the engine, not that it had its own sort of radiator

#19 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,047 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10

Heater core won't be cheap to do at all.I'd sell it and get what you can.

#20 SadJoker

SadJoker

Resident yogi

• 1,636 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:53

This should be in The Neobahn section, you might get more informed answers... http://www.neowin.ne...46-the-neobahn/

#21 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,930 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:02

Suggestion:

Check into your local Community College for the automotive programs.
I know of three people that got that kind of work done for just parts. Where before other mechanic's would charge almost $1,000 in labor alone.(though it may take a few weeks to get your car back though).
They are always looking for cars to work on to teach the students and for the students to work on. (all work is supervised by the instructor and finalized by them)

You could save ton's of money if you can get your car into that program.

#22 Lyric

Lyric

Neowinian

• 912 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:46

I daily drive a '96 Ford Bronco, it gets about 14mpg on the highway and I drive 50mi roundtrip to work....yeah its not efficient, but its all I can afford. I don't want a $500+$100 extra for full coverage car / insurance payment plus gas costs for the "new car".

I spend about $300 a month in gas in it, thats it. So by driving an old vehicle with no "new car payment" I save probably $400 a month.

keep it if you can afford to fix it, if not then have fun paying that note on a new car and if you miss it people like me will come scoop it up cause thats my job, lol.

#23 arachnoid

arachnoid

Vote cats you know it makes sense

• 4,129 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 15:59

Whats wrong with the heater core is it leaking or just not working,if its the later given the age of the car you could try flushing it out through the engine hoses?