ratters software control hackers attack compromised computers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 xpgeek

xpgeek

Mike

• 1,820 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10

a little piece of black electric tape over my laptop's webcam until i actually want to use it works very well too

#17 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,363 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15

a little piece of black electric tape over my laptop's webcam until i actually want to use it works very well too

I've fixed a few people's laptops with this in place. My first thought : "Paranoid much?" :p

#18 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,633 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20

People need to stop getting laptops to use as desktops they should be pointed in the direction of nettops. You should only get a laptop if you need it for things like work or school.

this now is one of my all time favorite laughs, ty!

HAHA, 2nd laugh for the day! hehe, some people are very.... different :)

#19 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 997 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:22

All you have to do is get one of those neowin surfing techies to help you harden up your security...
wait...

#20 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,278 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:32

This has been around for years, I actually tried one of the tools, something 7 it was called, way back before XP. You were able to open the cd tray with that as well as capture their keystrokes and screen, I think you were also able to capture their webcam but back then the transfer speeds and technology wouldn't have allowed video.

Never accept any files unless you know the person who sent them or what they are and use good security software and you'll be fine.

Or look for the light that says the cam is on...

That can be disabled.

#21 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,636 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:33

This sort of software isn't new. Anyone remember SubSeven? or Netbus? :p

Hehe. Fun days.

#22 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,278 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:37

SubSeven, that was the one! My ISP caught me using it cos it was rife at the time, they gave me a warning and I've not used anything similar since (apart from legit tools like Teamviewer of course)

#23 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,651 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:14

People need to stop getting laptops to use as desktops they should be pointed in the direction of nettops. You should only get a laptop if you need it for things like work or school.

Hoop your forehead goof. What a bunch of f'n nonsense. Another one of the dumbest things I've heard.
Ever thought maybe some people like to do stuff that requires lots of power, but they like to be able to take all that power with them if need be?
I've had 3 PCs and 6 laptops, and I'd never go back to a PC, absolutely pointless for me.
Mine sits in my TV stand, hooked to my TV, and when I go somewhere, I take it with me.

As for this thread, I couldn't care less if someone can see threw my camera. I have 3 all pointed at me, doesn't bother me at all, I ain't the paranoid type.

#24 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:17

Hoop your forehead goof. What a bunch of f'n nonsense. Another one of the dumbest things I've heard.
Ever thought maybe some people like to do stuff that requires lots of power, but they like to be able to take all that power with them if need be?
I've had 3 PCs and 6 laptops, and I'd never go back to a PC, absolutely pointless for me.
Mine sits in my TV stand, hooked to my TV, and when I go somewhere, I take it with me.

As for this thread, I couldn't care less if someone can see threw my camera. I have 3 all pointed at me, doesn't bother me at all, I ain't the paranoid type.

Did you read the last part it kinda says only get one if you need it which most people who tend to be victims of things like this don't need.

#25 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,406 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:30

In my Laptop's UEFI bios, I can disable the web cam hardware. Haven't done it yet, but not too worried about it.

Black electrical tape would make the case sticky when removed if left on for some time. Would prefer to find a better solution if that became a regular issue.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,340 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:19

I've fixed a few people's laptops with this in place. My first thought : "Paranoid much?" :p

usually bandaids.... or transparent tape and a piece of paper. and my first though is "So.... what exactly do you do in front of this computer...."

#27 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:27

OMG! The things he would have seen me and my wife do in bed.
Oh well, I'm not a prude so don't care.
Another thing you can do to protect yourself, simply turn the webcam (if applicable), to face the wall, or buy one with a lens cover.

#28 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:38

This has been around for years, I actually tried one of the tools, something 7 it was called, way back before XP. You were able to open the cd tray with that as well as capture their keystrokes and screen, I think you were also able to capture their webcam but back then the transfer speeds and technology wouldn't have allowed video.

Never accept any files unless you know the person who sent them or what they are and use good security software and you'll be fine.

That can be disabled.

Hehe. Fun days.

Put this on all the computers at the lab and the library at high school.... good times.... opened all the cd drives at once and one of the very religious teachers was scared and started to pray.

#29 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:41

Put this on all the computers at the lab and the library at high school.... good times.... opened all the cd drives at once and one of the very religious teachers was scared and started to pray.

Evil genius ponts added +5

#30 _Heavens

_Heavens

YOLO Gangsta Prinzes

• 438 posts
  • Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:00

Why are you even undressing in front of your computer?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!