Home Server Re-Build

I'm in the process of rebuilding my ageing Norco RPC-4020 home server (no vt-d) Its going to be running Multipoint server 2012 and hosting a RAID array.

The first component I need a recommendation for is a PSU, Its a 700W OCz at the moment with 2 molex connectors on each modular psu cable. The issue im having is I cannot add any more than 6 drives per cable without getting "drive power on reset detected" from the raid card.

When moved to the next row (next power cable) the issue disappears. So can anyone recommend a PSU with 5 independent Molex connectors. I only need one SATA cable for the os SSD + burner and motherboard power (no dedicated GPU)

And ill be replacing the motherboard (i7) I need a recommendation for one with

Multi-monitor 2x HDMI for the movie stations

Three PCI Express x4 or x16 slots for NIC's

Two regular PCI slots for the 3ware 9500s-12 and 9500s-8 controllers (lame rebuild speed but more than acceptable read write speeds)

lots of USB 2 or 3 ports.

The first component I need a recommendation for is a PSU, Its a 700W OCz at the moment with 2 molex connectors on each modular psu cable. The issue im having is I cannot add any more than 6 drives per cable without getting "drive power on reset detected" from the raid card.

When moved to the next row (next power cable) the issue disappears. So can anyone recommend a PSU with 5 independent Molex connectors. I only need one SATA cable for the os SSD + burner and motherboard power (no dedicated GPU)

And ill be replacing the motherboard (i7) I need a recommendation for one with

Multi-monitor 2x HDMI for the movie stations

You wouldn?t really need that much power for running many HDD's it might be that some of your HDD's are not spinning up in time or you might be able to set more delay for the RAID cards to detect all HDD's or the PSU you have is faulty.

You should be fine with a 600W PSU really.

650W Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M

Silverstone SST-ST65F-G Strider 650W (fully modular)

Their isn?t any motherboards with 2x HDMI except a Mini ITX with only one PCI-e

I thought that was more common now with intel's integrated graphics my client has two I don't use

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Fatal1ty%20Z68%20Professional%20Gen3

Might have to go for a gaming mobo like that and just disable most of the features.

I did set the spin up to the longest in 3dm2, Silverstone SST-ST65F-G looks good with 6x molex ill order that. Reason why I think it was the PSU is because it went away when I moved it to a different row and it was exacerbated when the drives were in us.

• 4 weeks later...

... So long story short bought another Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 on ebay because its no longer on pixmania buyer tried to pass off a used one as new so I sent it back and got a refund. Tired of waiting I upgraded the server using the mobo and cpu from my client and good thing i did because my RAID cards don't work anymore.

Searched and found that new intel mobos have no native pci support :pinch: Despite the ports being there neither of the 3Ware cards are showing up the light on the card stays on and there is no 3ware bios output.

Don't suppose there's any setting I can enable in uefi to get the cards working again ? Otherwise ill have to give up on this upgrade or perhaps just upgrade the cpu to one that supports vt-d currently its a Lynnfield i5