February Wii U Sales Fall Short of Expectations

wiiu nintendo

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 15 March 2013 - 20:56

It's being outsold by the PS Vita in Japan, which really shows how much Nintendo's influence has diminished over recent years. No longer is Nintendo the undisputed champion of handheld gaming - it's just one of many companies vying for market share.

Barely. Being outsold by about a mere 4% last week(march 4-10) is hardly enough to say that nintendo is falling from the handheld market. Especially when you compare the install base of the two.

Also, many companies? Last i checked their only competition when it comes to proper gaming remains sony.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 15 March 2013 - 21:36

Barely. Being outsold by about a mere 4% last week(march 4-10) is hardly enough to say that nintendo is falling from the handheld market. Especially when you compare the install base of the two.

Also, many companies? Last i checked their only competition when it comes to proper gaming remains sony.

It's significant because Nintendo has traditionally had very little competition in the handheld market. As for "proper gaming", mobiles and tablets cannot be ignored - they have seen huge growth and there are new and more powerful devices being released all the time. The 3DS still has a good position in the market but Nintendo had to slash 29% off its sales forecast for 3DS software - that's concerning when it's one of the company's main sales drivers. The 3DS is the first Nintendo device I can recall under-performing at launch and Nintendo has posted losses for the past two years. If the 3DS and Wii U continue to underperform then Nintendo may have to explore other avenues.

#18 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 15 March 2013 - 22:30

It's significant because Nintendo has traditionally had very little competition in the handheld market. As for "proper gaming", mobiles and tablets cannot be ignored - they have seen huge growth and there are new and more powerful devices being released all the time. The 3DS still has a good position in the market but Nintendo had to slash 29% off its sales forecast for 3DS software - that's concerning when it's one of the company's main sales drivers. The 3DS is the first Nintendo device I can recall under-performing at launch and Nintendo has posted losses for the past two years. If the 3DS and Wii U continue to underperform then Nintendo may have to explore other avenues.

Nintendo lost about ¥20 million last year... they have about ¥900 billion in cash. They could go on losing money to that degree for decades and not sweat it - so being forced to explore other avenues any time soon is extremely unlikely.

It's also worth noting, that there a number of times where the PSP outsold the DS on a monthly basis in Japan, and we know the huge difference in overall sales between the two systems. The Vita is being bouyed by the release of a popular game - it unfortunately doesn't have the momentum to keep it's sales there, and the 3DS will almost certainly be back on top next month.

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 March 2013 - 22:53

Ya plus, it won't REALLY start to sell until it's hacked. The moment I saw how easy it was to hack the wii and put the homebrew channel on it is when I bought mine. Also had it hacked 30 mins after that :)

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 March 2013 - 23:47

Nintendo lost about ¥20 million last year... they have about ¥900 billion in cash. They could go on losing money to that degree for decades and not sweat it - so being forced to explore other avenues any time soon is extremely unlikely.

It's also worth noting, that there a number of times where the PSP outsold the DS on a monthly basis in Japan, and we know the huge difference in overall sales between the two systems. The Vita is being bouyed by the release of a popular game - it unfortunately doesn't have the momentum to keep it's sales there, and the 3DS will almost certainly be back on top next month.

shareholders are not that forgiving. they don't care about cash stockpile they care if it grows or is being used for new developments. if they lose money, then they will force the company to make changes.

Personally I think the era of the dedicated handheld gaming devices are over. no mobiles are not a replacement, they may have the power, but they're no gaming devices. but people don't care, they don't want a mobile gaming device, they want a mobile device that can give them simple games. i they want actual games, they have a console or computer for that.

And no, by this I don't mean that handheld devices will be gone overnight. just that they will gradually shrink away. and at most we will see another generation, perhaps not that (excepting upgrades to the current generation). Sony I really doubt will try for another, and wil instead focus on phones.

Ya plus, it won't REALLY start to sell until it's hacked. The moment I saw how easy it was to hack the wii and put the homebrew channel on it is when I bought mine. Also had it hacked 30 mins after that :)

Doesn't really effect sales. you are a VERY small minority. The large majority have no interest and don't care about hacking their consoles, and for the minority, when they do, homebrew certainly isn't what they want.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:34

4% of thousands of consoles doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

#22 OP dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:35

Sad thing is, my friend hacked his Wii too (his console, I mean), and it still never got much attention beyond a couple weeks or so. :/

As for Nintendo, I'm willing to bet we'll see a repeat of what happened with the Wii being left behind in terms of third party developers. Yes, the Wii was and is still a success, but not in the terms of what I'm wanting from them. Really, I just want to be able to buy a Nintendo console that will be able to play most games. Apparently, that's too much to ask for, or perhaps I'm not the target audience. Not really sure on this one...

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:47

Apparently the Wii U is selling worse now than the X360 or PS3 ever did. Looking at the upcoming games list there just doesn't seem to be anything much coming out, let alone exclusive to the Wii U. The new Zelda game isn't due out until the end of the year and that's really the best upcoming title, so I really don't know what Nintendo can do short of slashing the price - something publishers have been asking for.

#24 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:11

I won't be buying until a price cut or a hardware revision.

#25 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:23

Needs more marketing, a lot more marketing in fact and if they cant get triple A 3D titles due to development cycles yadda yadda, then why not emphasize and build your virtual console or release more live games?

#26 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:21

To be perfectly honest they should have just merged their handheld and console divisions 3 years ago - before the launch of the 3DS. Simply put, I think they're going to have to weather a storm this generation and hold on tight until the next.

Unless of course, they're able to push out a new operating system which unifies the 3DS and Wii U OSes - but honestly that's going to take at least a couple of years and quite frankly they're better allocating those resources to the next generation. While their Wii U and 3DS systems aren't doomed from the get go, they'll be facing some stiff competition from Sony and Microsoft, as well as the tablet/smartphone crowd for the next few years. Unfortunately, in the next couple of years smartphones will completely overlap the 3DS in terms of horsepower and perhaps even in terms of gaming practicality. Someone releasing a 4.5" or 5" smartphone, running android, that's been built from the ground up to work with a gaming controller peripheral, with enough marketing behind it, would make a serious play for a handheld gaming crown. Infact, we're almost there already. Almost.

What Nintendo needs to do, ideally, is take a look with what Microsoft is doing with Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows 8 - they share a runtime environment (WinRT) and the same kernel (Windows NT), which significantly helps out developers both porting games, and allowing cross platform play, but it can run on multiple hardware architectures. Even on a superficial level they're very similar, both implementing a tiled interface and using live tiles, albeit in slightly different manners. Nintendo have started to do this already, with the 3DS and Wii U looking similar, but different, in terms of their interfaces. But now they need to go the whole hog and unify the whole lot. This should also happen in terms of their accounts, one account spanning multiple devices just like Sony does with the PSP, PS3, PS4 and PSV, not to mention their Android range.

While in terms of downloadable games (made from the ground up for their respective platforms) I don't feel it should be buy once, play anywhere (for example, if they made Geometry Wars for 3DS and Wii U, I don't see why you should be entitled to buy it once and play on both devices), with a unified account they should be able to allow developers to do that if they wish; That being said, I feel Virtual Console purchases should be tied to the account, not the device. At the very best, getting gamers to pay 20p (or 30c, whatever) towards getting their VC game on their device. Of course, having a unified run time environment will make porting easier, there is of course some testing to do for emulators on different handhelds which should be respected - but not respected so much that they would force gamers to repay the whole price of their game they purchased on their older device.

As I said, I don't see this happening on this generation but I sincerely hope it happens on the next, otherwise Nintendo really do have a big chance of falling behind completely. In an age where smartphones are becoming increasingly more powerful year on year, and ecosystems are not only maturing in terms of their features, portability and size, but also in their weight as a significant (if not the most important) unique selling point in a company's arsenal, Nintendo need to shape up. The thing to take note of, though, is if Nintendo does wake up and smell the coffee, everyone has to be scared, as their gaming portfolio literally dwarfs everyone's, and an ecosystem that's got Nintendo's wealth of IPs and franchises is not one to take lightly.

#27 OP dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:26

Apparently, this was found at PAX. Nintendo looking to ramp up advertising a little bit... by I guess trying to differentiate how it's not the Wii.

Posted Image

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:49

they forgot to include "games may require any of 4 different controllers to play"

#29 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:32

Apparently, this was found at PAX. Nintendo looking to ramp up advertising a little bit... by I guess trying to differentiate how it's not the Wii.

Well they have to try something in regards to this. After all, your average consumer is usually too lazy and stupid to google for a mere 2 minutes to figure out any differences on their own.

#30 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:58

they forgot to include "games may require any of 4 different controllers to play"

lol :laugh:

<snipped>

It's really bad when you have to go to this much trouble to explain to people (esp. people at PAX) the difference between the Wii and the Wii U. I think avoiding this confusing would have been as easy as simply calling the "Wii U" the "Wii 2".

I don't remember MS or Sony having to spell out the difference of their new consoles.

"Oh, no folks, this is the Playstation 2"