• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mkol

mkol

mkol

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:08

Hi Guys

I wanted to update my storage, But I am confuse between Intel 520SSD 240gb or VelociRaptor 1TB.

The SSD is faster than the Velociraptor but the storage is 1TB and it's fast but not as fast as the SSD.

I am confuse which one to buy. I am in to moderate gaming, Internet work, Website designing and Networking work.

Intel link: http://www.overclock...104&subcat=2394

VelociRaptor :
http://www.overclock...rodid=HD-385-WD
What would you buy and why?

Thanks

#2 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:11

Personally, I would get an SSD as a boot drive (a 64GB one will do) and get a separate HDD as a game drive and downloads drive. That's the setup I have now, and it's nice and fast with the speed of the SSD and also I have enough storage with my HDD's.

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:11

SSD for boot drive, HDD for data

#4 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:19

I would get the SSD, maybe in a 120GB size. It's faster and quieter. Then with the money left over, get a cheaper, slower 2 or 3 TB for your storage.

#5 OP mkol

mkol

mkol

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:21

The one I have in Mind the Intel one is it the best there is on the market at the Moment? Are they better than Kingston?

#6 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:22

Like others have said. you don't need such a big SSD. Just get a 128gb one and run your OS and major apps off it. You can even install your games on that since it's actually a lot of storage once you turn off a couple of windows features. (hybernate+pagefile<-- don't turn this off just lower and move to your other drive).

your OS will go on the SSD and then you can get a regular 7200rpm drive for storage. that setup will cost you less than what you are currently thinking of and it will work better.

#7 OP mkol

mkol

mkol

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:23

Thanks Guys

#8 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:27

The one I have in Mind the Intel one is it the best there is on the market at the Moment? Are they better than Kingston?

Intel or a Samsung 830 or 840 series SSD are generally the best out there. Make sure you get a SATA3 one too.

#9 lars77

lars77

Neowinian

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:23

Intel SSDs are overpriced IMO. They're fast, but if you're interested in top of the line you should look at Samsung 840 Pro, Corsair Neutron, or OCZ Vector. The Samsung & OCZ SSDs I've worked with have been rock solid. Generally 240GB is a good starting point.. 64GB seems too small, even for just a boot drive, no? My own Win8 boot drive is already using more than 64 GB.

Like others mentioned, SSDs usually won't be big enough to be your only drive so you'll probably want the SSD as your boot drive & have a 2nd drive for your data. But you can kind of figure this one out on your own, just check out how much disk space you're using in your current system. This will give you a rough idea of how much total disk space you're likely to need.

#10 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:41

What drive do you have in your machine right now? How full is it? What proportion is that apps to data?

I personally will not put a drive in my machine that is not an SSD, but I have never owned a 10K drive either.

#11 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:49

from everything i've been told (and from experience) the 2 best SSDs currently are the Samsung 840 pro and the OCZ Vertex 4 (I currently have a Vertex 4 and it's definitely solid :))

#12 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 18:09

You can even install your games on that since it's actually a lot of storage once you turn off a couple of windows features.

My Steam folder alone is 365GB. It all depends on what you have, though. I just started using an SSD and love it, but if you game a LOT, then it's still on the slower drive, so you won't see any gains there, but your everyday work will be MUCH faster. If you've got the money, as mentioned, get a 128GB SSD and the Velociraptor. If not, then get an SSD and a 7200RPM drive. Stay away from the "green" drives at least.

#13 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 16 March 2013 - 18:16

My Steam folder alone is 365GB. It all depends on what you have, though. I just started using an SSD and love it, but if you game a LOT, then it's still on the slower drive, so you won't see any gains there, but your everyday work will be MUCH faster. If you've got the money, as mentioned, get a 128GB SSD and the Velociraptor. If not, then get an SSD and a 7200RPM drive. Stay away from the "green" drives at least.

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want. I have a dedicated 80 GB Intel SSD for Steam games, but also have a Steam library on one of my HDD's to which I can install more games.

#14 OP mkol

mkol

mkol

Posted 16 March 2013 - 18:42

from everything i've been told (and from experience) the 2 best SSDs currently are the Samsung 840 pro and the OCZ Vertex 4 (I currently have a Vertex 4 and it's definitely solid :))

I have read some reviews now and Samsung 840pro is the fastest on the market. I am still thinking, but Samsung sounds better tha OCZ.

#15 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 19:18

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want. I have a dedicated 80 GB Intel SSD for Steam games, but also have a Steam library on one of my HDD's to which I can install more games.

What does that gain you? Does it make Steam itself faster? Games will load slowly, or am I missing something?