Intel 520 SSD 240gb or Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 10000RPM

Hi Guys

I wanted to update my storage, But I am confuse between Intel 520SSD 240gb or VelociRaptor 1TB.

The SSD is faster than the Velociraptor but the storage is 1TB and it's fast but not as fast as the SSD.

I am confuse which one to buy. I am in to moderate gaming, Internet work, Website designing and Networking work.

Intel link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-024-IN&groupid=701&catid=2104&subcat=2394

VelociRaptor :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-385-WD

What would you buy and why?

Thanks

Personally, I would get an SSD as a boot drive (a 64GB one will do) and get a separate HDD as a game drive and downloads drive. That's the setup I have now, and it's nice and fast with the speed of the SSD and also I have enough storage with my HDD's.

I would get the SSD, maybe in a 120GB size. It's faster and quieter. Then with the money left over, get a cheaper, slower 2 or 3 TB for your storage.

The one I have in Mind the Intel one is it the best there is on the market at the Moment? Are they better than Kingston?

Like others have said. you don't need such a big SSD. Just get a 128gb one and run your OS and major apps off it. You can even install your games on that since it's actually a lot of storage once you turn off a couple of windows features. (hybernate+pagefile<-- don't turn this off just lower and move to your other drive).

your OS will go on the SSD and then you can get a regular 7200rpm drive for storage. that setup will cost you less than what you are currently thinking of and it will work better.

The one I have in Mind the Intel one is it the best there is on the market at the Moment? Are they better than Kingston?

Intel or a Samsung 830 or 840 series SSD are generally the best out there. Make sure you get a SATA3 one too.

Intel SSDs are overpriced IMO. They're fast, but if you're interested in top of the line you should look at Samsung 840 Pro, Corsair Neutron, or OCZ Vector. The Samsung & OCZ SSDs I've worked with have been rock solid. Generally 240GB is a good starting point.. 64GB seems too small, even for just a boot drive, no? My own Win8 boot drive is already using more than 64 GB.

Like others mentioned, SSDs usually won't be big enough to be your only drive so you'll probably want the SSD as your boot drive & have a 2nd drive for your data. But you can kind of figure this one out on your own, just check out how much disk space you're using in your current system. This will give you a rough idea of how much total disk space you're likely to need.

What drive do you have in your machine right now? How full is it? What proportion is that apps to data?

I personally will not put a drive in my machine that is not an SSD, but I have never owned a 10K drive either.

from everything i've been told (and from experience) the 2 best SSDs currently are the Samsung 840 pro and the OCZ Vertex 4 (I currently have a Vertex 4 and it's definitely solid :))

You can even install your games on that since it's actually a lot of storage once you turn off a couple of windows features.

My Steam folder alone is 365GB. It all depends on what you have, though. I just started using an SSD and love it, but if you game a LOT, then it's still on the slower drive, so you won't see any gains there, but your everyday work will be MUCH faster. If you've got the money, as mentioned, get a 128GB SSD and the Velociraptor. If not, then get an SSD and a 7200RPM drive. Stay away from the "green" drives at least.

My Steam folder alone is 365GB. It all depends on what you have, though. I just started using an SSD and love it, but if you game a LOT, then it's still on the slower drive, so you won't see any gains there, but your everyday work will be MUCH faster. If you've got the money, as mentioned, get a 128GB SSD and the Velociraptor. If not, then get an SSD and a 7200RPM drive. Stay away from the "green" drives at least.

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want. I have a dedicated 80 GB Intel SSD for Steam games, but also have a Steam library on one of my HDD's to which I can install more games.

from everything i've been told (and from experience) the 2 best SSDs currently are the Samsung 840 pro and the OCZ Vertex 4 (I currently have a Vertex 4 and it's definitely solid :))

I have read some reviews now and Samsung 840pro is the fastest on the market. I am still thinking, but Samsung sounds better tha OCZ.

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want. I have a dedicated 80 GB Intel SSD for Steam games, but also have a Steam library on one of my HDD's to which I can install more games.

What does that gain you? Does it make Steam itself faster? Games will load slowly, or am I missing something?

What does that gain you? Does it make Steam itself faster? Games will load slowly, or am I missing something?

Steam games that are installed on my SSD load very quick. However, the games from my Steam library that are installed on my HDD load normally.

At the moment Samsung 840 Pro is the best. Intel was the best when they used their own controllers, and they have a new controller coming out to enterprise SSDs and hopefully will be brought down to consumer SSDs in the future, but right now they're using customized Sandforce controllers so I wouldn't put such a premium on Intel's quality for now.

Steam games that are installed on my SSD load very quick. However, the games from my Steam library that are installed on my HDD load normally.

Why don't you just install steam on the SSD and make a new library on the HDD? Steam itself barely takes up any space.

Why don't you just install steam on the SSD and make a new library on the HDD? Steam itself barely takes up any space.

Hmm, I think you missed the point. The Intel SSD I had was a spare, so I just put it in my desktop. I already had the Samsung 830 as my boot drive on my desktop, so I decided to install Steam on the Intel SSD, and keep it filled with games (less than 2GB of free space on the Intel SSD). I also created another Steam library on my HDD, as an overflow, so I could install games that don't fit on the Intel SSD.

Hmm, I think you missed the point. The Intel SSD I had was a spare, so I just put it in my desktop. I already had the Samsung 830 as my boot drive on my desktop, so I decided to install Steam on the Intel SSD, and keep it filled with games (less than 2GB of free space on the Intel SSD). I also created another Steam library on my HDD, as an overflow, so I could install games that don't fit on the Intel SSD.

Sorry I was responding to this part, quoted the wrong thing.

You can install Steam to your HDD, then you can create a Steam library on your SSD, to which you can install games to, if you really want.

Sorry I was responding to this part, quoted the wrong thing.

Sorry, I mixed up the words SSD and HDD. You can install Steam and some gamesto your SSD, and then you can create a Steam library on your HDD, to which you can install more games to, if you really want (as an overflow - games are big and generally many won't fit on an SSD)