usb stick

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 arachnoid

arachnoid

Call the Opticians

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:24

If you have physical access to the PCs then USBDeview is a good program to show information on preinstalled USB devices such as device ID and its portable
http://www.nirsoft.n...vices_view.html

Posted Image

#17 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:40

How would a solution to this help if the USB Stick has been stolen? You don't have it anymore, so even if it could tell you you would have to get it back 1st.

#18 OP alexmoreira

alexmoreira

Neowinian

Posted 16 March 2013 - 18:06

you read my mind, arachnoid...

If you have physical access to the PCs then USBDeview is a good program to show information on preinstalled USB devices such as device ID and its portable
http://www.nirsoft.n...vices_view.html

Posted Image

How would a solution to this help if the USB Stick has been stolen? You don't have it anymore, so even if it could tell you you would have to get it back 1st.

I know. this 2nd method was only a confirmation for the 1st one and only to be used after the possible recovery of the stolen usb stick

bye bye you all

#19 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 14:53

From the USB stick you cannot tell where it has been.
If you know the USB Hardware ID, you will have to check every single machine and look in the registry if you can find it there.
If you do, you can then check the Event Logs on that machine to see when the USB stick has been plugged in.
Then you have to get from the dates the most recent one, and then you know where the USB stick was last connected to a machine on your network.

Unless you have a central management tool, there is no other way to find this out. And the way described above is a hell of a lot of work...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!