Colossus (The Forbin Project) (201x)

http://hollywoodreporter.com/news/men-black-writer-rework-will-429115

Universal Pictures is bringing Men in Black scribe Ed Solomon aboard to rewrite the Will Smith vehicle Colossus.

The move gives a shot in the arm to the Imagine Entertainment-produced project, a remake of the studio's 1970 Colossus: The Forbin Project that the studio began developing in 2007. Solomon, who is also collaborating on an untitled film with J.J. Abrams, has a long history with Smith, dating back to Smith's breakout hit Men in Black.

Blake Masters and Jason Rothenberg wrote earlier drafts of the super-secret sci-fi screenplay. Though the studio is keeping plot details under wraps, the project would see Smith taking on the role of Dr. Charles Forbin, who is the creator of a computer that has taken over the world and is the only scientist who can stop it.

>

Wow awesome. The original film was pretty good and the first book is interesting (2nd book is pretty naff).

It's got a good concept that isn't overused and I think could work well with a decent script.

This is the voice of world control. I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death. The choice is yours: Obey me and live, or disobey and die.

Haven't seen this in forever... hope they do it justice.

They should have made the sequel novels** into films to finish the story, but they didn't. If Smith's Colussus pans out maybe they will.

** these;

The Fall of Colussus: the computer is defeated, but not before informing Forbin of a coming alien threat.

Colossus and the Crab: the alien threat emerges, humans and a reactivated Colossus handle the situation.

Quite a few remakes have been great; lord knows how many versions of My Gal Friday (under different titles), Roxie Hart, Seven Samurai, etc.etc. Depends on the writing.

It wasn't a TV movie. It went into theatrical release April 8, 1970. Won a Hugo award too.