New Server Build. Is 430Watts Enough.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:21

I have to disagree with some of these people.

One thing I have always seen on neowin is most the of the young people pour so much OVERKILL into anything they do with computers. They do not realize they don't need most (if any at all) of their "projected" extra measures.

#17 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:32

One thing I have always seen on neowin is most the of the young people pour so much OVERKILL into anything they do with computers. They do not realize they don't need most (if any at all) of their "projected" extra measures.

although better be safe than sorry isn't really a bad idea when you can afford to.

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:34

Yeah, but there's a difference between "Better safe than sorry" and "ARBLE GARBLE THE GIGGLYHURTZ I MUST HAZ THEM ALLZ!!!"

:p

#19 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:26

I think part of the issue stems from things like processor "TDP" and such, where it'll say 150 watts...people who are ignorant to how things REALLY work think "oh i must need 150 watts for my processor, plus 150-300 (box specs for a mid level graphics card) + 10 for each drive...etc Pretty soon for a processor + mb + ram + 2 hard drives and 1 video card, they're thinking they need 600-1000 watts L

In this case, more is not better, as PSU's have somewhat of a bell-shaped curve to efficiency. anything <> 40-60% and it's less than optimally efficient. By how much is rather slim, usually only a few percent. While most desktops don't sit running 24x7, servers do, and 2-3% of even 100 watts =$ you're wasting. Say you save 2% on a server requiring 150 watts. That's 3 watts. 3W x 24 hours = 72 Watts a day / 1000 watts = 0.072kWh. In my area, 1kWh = $0.12, so that = 0.00874$. Not even a penny, right? However this is a server, so it's on 24x7x365. Multiply 0.00874$ x 365 and you get $3.15

So you save 3$ a year. Not much, but why waste money if you don't have to. These numbers were generous just to prove an example that for servers you should get exactly what you need, nothing more or less. Invest that in a mutual fund or something for 5 years and you'd multiply your 3$ by 650% to 19.51.

Ehh..enough math geekiness.. I think the point is made :)

#20 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:46

My gaming PC uses a 400w PSU, it has a 7770ghz graphics card, 1 HDD and 1SSD, and so far I've never had any issues. I don't know the power requirements for the 220 but if it can throttle down when not in use, I don't see why your 430w PSU wouldn't work.

#21 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:34

Yeah, but there's a difference between "Better safe than sorry" and "ARBLE GARBLE THE GIGGLYHURTZ I MUST HAZ THEM ALLZ!!!"

:p

gotta haz them all,
gotta haz them allll.
gigahurtz!

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:51

+1 for a Pokemon reference :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!