• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:56

Very annoying.

#4 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 00:36

Sadly it's Women like her that get into positions of power like in the UK, Canada, and Australia.

#5 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,182 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:51

Feminism = bad

Equilisim = good

Replacing one sided differances, with one sided differances from the other side, does not solve ****!

#6 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,418 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:50

I don't even have to click play to know that she is annoying.

Why must we share that which bothers?
Just giving it more views...

#7 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,229 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:11

I don't even have to click play to know that she is annoying.

Why must we share that which bothers?
Just giving it more views...

How can it possibly bother you that someone has an opinion and shares it? You're on a discussion forum. It happens here all the time.

#8 xbamaris

xbamaris

Neowinian

• 434 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 22:52

Shes still hot.

#9 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

• 4,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 23:03

She still has a point, no matter how "incorrect" and "annoying" she is. It's more about our culture than anything else. It's kind of sad how much hate she gets, just because she is a woman. I guess lots of gamers are insecure.

#10 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 23:21

She still has a point, no matter how "incorrect" and "annoying" she is. It's more about our culture than anything else. It's kind of sad how much hate she gets, just because she is a woman. I guess lots of gamers are insecure.

You admit that she is "incorrect" so how how informed can her point be? and the reason she gets so much hate is because she is a hipster-femminist.

#11 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 23:31

I disagree.

It sounds like I would disagree with her on a lot of issues, but the guy narrating the video is a lot more annoying than she is.

At least from the clips he ran, she seems like a nice person. The guy narrating it suggests that she secretly wants censorship even though she doesn't say she does (thats like accusing someone of being a crypto-racist or crypto-marxist or crypto-fascist), that she's anti-sex because she doesn't like the hypersexuality in some anime and japanese advertising, and says she's silly to criticize the slutwalks which, in his words, are "revolutionary". Lastly, he creates a YouTube video to demean her while complaining in that video that she thinks its okay to mock people for satirical purposes, making him a hypocrite. He sounds like a douche.

#12 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,418 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:18

How can it possibly bother you that someone has an opinion and shares it? You're on a discussion forum. It happens here all the time.

I never said it bothers me...?

#13 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:23

What I don't like is she contradicts herself, doesn't know what she actually wants. She says its sexist even if women want to show off their bodies like that. She says its sexist if women are shown in games as the weaker character in need of rescue, if the woman is the strong leader character she says its sexist because the Woman is pretending to be a man by mimicking "manly" traits.

#14 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:54

What I don't like is she contradicts herself, doesn't know what she actually wants. She says its sexist even if women want to show off their bodies like that. She says its sexist if women are shown in games as the weaker character in need of rescue, if the woman is the strong leader character she says its sexist because the Woman is pretending to be a man by mimicking "manly" traits.

I don't think she's right to call these things sexist but I think her positions are pretty explainable and not so contradictory.

Whether or not some women want to show off their bodies, it doesn't change the fact advertising and games will mostly still show off women's bodies and not men's bodies, and in my view, at least, it will never be equal opportunity where both men and womens bodies alike will be used for advertising. So its still putting women in a certain role in our culture, one that she doesn't think is good for women. The "sex positive" feminists that the guy that made the video is quoting have a naive idea that the culture will adapt and start showing off men's bodies too. That's assuming a lot that isn't true. Personally, I'm not feminist, but I'm more conservative leaning and I'd argue our culture teaches people that expressing yourself sexually is really important, and you get a lot of young girls modeling themselves over pop starlets who wear skimpy clothes to get attention -- and in the end I don't think that's a good thing.

On the second issue, you have this running cliché in the culture a woman wanting to do a man's job, even the guy that made the video used the cliché, he shows clips from Mulan. Often you have cheesy lines like with one person saying "No man can defeat me" and the woman responding "I'm not a man -- ha!" This is just really tiresome for me. Its also often ahistorical. She personally thinks a military attitude is more common for men than women, that soldiers will always by a large majority be men, so socially it won't ever be equal. So she wants the culture to show women in a more positive light in the social roles they'll more commonly have, rather than in ones they won't have. Also, she thinks that men being violent isn't a good thing, so she wants it to be portrayed as a negative thing, and she doesn't want to see shows try to put women in that role. So, she isn't against women being shown in strong leadership roles, its the way those roles are written. Personally, I think she's asking a lot, because it takes really good writers to get passed clichés, and the majority of people who are writing things will be bad to mediocre writers. If you want better writing, its better to write stories yourself rather than complain about the ones that are out there.

#15 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,256 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 20 March 2013 - 22:52

What I don't like is she contradicts herself, doesn't know what she actually wants.

That's been my experience with a lot of women.