Netflix - BBC iPlayer Alike Solution

Question

Hi guys,

Is there a way to code something similar to netflix / bbc iplayer, in such a way that a person can stream content? inc Images and text which would be cached on the device but deleted once watched?

Cheers

7 answers to this question

Im asking cause I need one coded......

Better hire a dev team, oh and a projects team to lead them... a quality assurance team... etc... your wallets going to hurt.

The iplayer is actually pretty awesome! Its always impressed me. When my internet is being a douche and i cant stream itv/channel4 or youtube. the BBC one always works

Ofcourse you dont need that many people unless you are the BBC, they stream to so much more people than s self coded one would use.

However, why not use something that already made, like the jwplayer (i think thats what its called)

Server power

The BBC uses a total of 60 servers to encode its programmes for iPlayer. More than 400 hours of programmes are converted each week.

Essential Delay

If your programme isn?t available on iPlayer the instant it has finished broadcasting, that?s usually because it was broadcast live. It takes about an hour to process the tape.

Bandwidth

The iPlayer shifts more than seven petabytes of web traffic every month; that?s seven million gigabytes, or approximately 7,000,000,000,000,000 bytes. That?s a lot of bytes!

Stream count

BBC iPlayer handles around 117 million stream requests a month across all platforms, including the iPlayer service on Virgin Media TV.