Chromebooks sales flopping hard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:33

Although both Google and Acer have claimed that Chromebooks are seeing better-than-expected acceptance, total sales of less than 500,000 units show that the devices still need a lot improvement, the sources said.

http://www.digitimes...30315PD210.html

Microsoft sells more copies of windows in one day.In fact they sold about the same amount of surface pros with 5x the price in one month.

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:41

Of course they are, no one wants a notebook with an internet OS.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:41

The whole premise of a Chromebook is a purely bad idea. The prices are incredibly too high for something with such limited functionality.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,593 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:48

And here is the original title the OP....not sure why it was changed.... :rolleyes:

A Google OS would struggle to compete with Windows for 1-2 years, say Taiwan notebook platers

Not surprising considering Google has done little to nothing to promote the Chomebook.

#5 ew2x4

ew2x4

Neowinian

• 669 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:16

The whole premise of a Chromebook is a purely bad idea. The prices are incredibly too high for something with such limited functionality.

Obviously the Pixel is, but the Samsung is only $250. I'm not sure prices on the lower models are what is holding it back.

#6 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,881 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:20

Of course they are, no one wants a notebook with an internet OS.

Agreed.

That and there's no marketing being done for it! Why bother launching such a niche product and not promote it? Reputation alone? hmmmm

#7 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,111 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:22

i know a few people that have chromebooks and each of them have said it was a waste of money, they are not good for much more than word processing and using the internet.

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,724 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:26

Obviously the Pixel is, but the Samsung is only $250. I'm not sure prices on the lower models are what is holding it back.

and for that price you can get a netbook which still has more usability

#9 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:35

Agreed.

That and there's no marketing being done for it! Why bother launching such a niche product and not promote it? Reputation alone? hmmmm

marketing wont do a damn thing.How do you market a computer that only runs a browser that most people are unfamiliar with,and you can only use it when connected to the internet? The only reason they have any sales at all is because of those google geniuses at best buy or whatever that wait there and ambush windows customers and sucker them into a sale. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these are returned. Anyone remember the Linux netbook fiasco? Same thing.

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,881 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:40

marketing wont do a damn thing.How do you market a computer that only runs a browser that most people are unfamiliar with,and you can only use it when connected to the internet? The only reason they have any sales at all is because of those google geniuses at best buy or whatever that wait there and ambush windows customers and sucker them into a sale. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these are returned. Anyone remember the Linux netbook fiasco? Same thing.

Did not know it needed internets to work... Yikes..

#11 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,420 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:41

I figure the chrome book is the direction smart phones, computers, and tablets are heading, however that convergence is not ready yet / still too early, too many barriers in the way.

#12 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:43

Is anybody here surprised that those POS computers are flopping? Come one. Have you seen them? They suck. Without an internet connection they are absolutely useless and they are way too expensive.

#13 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,565 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:45

Chrome OS is a solution looking for a problem.

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,724 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:45

Is anybody here surprised that those POS computers are flopping? Come one. Have you seen them? They suck. Without an internet connection they are absolutely useless and they are way too expensive.

the $200 ones are too expensive i don't know what the **** google was thinking when they made/priced the pixel? 0_o

#15 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,795 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:47

I do like Google a lot.. but I just don't get the ChromeBook... I just don't think the market is ready for that sort of model yet!