Folder Permission denied.

I bought a new desktop, and when I hooked up my external drive to it, which has all my videos on it, I tried to click on the folder and was presented with

8T1MhwI.png

I never encrypted the drive or set up any permission before on my laptop with it. What gives? I can access every other folder in there but it won't even let me in the Videos folder.

Well the folders were created via a different machine right?

Its quite possible without knowing it you had set permissions on folders for accounts from that other machine. Just take ownership and change the permissions. Your best doing it from the root and redoing all the permissions on all the folders and files for this machine, or setting them to anyone/anon -- ie just wide open.

Its possible that you moved say this video folder from your old machine to your external drive? When you move stuff permissions are moved with them vs a copy where new copy takes on permissions of where it was copied too.

Well the folders were created via a different machine right?

Its quite possible without knowing it you had set permissions on folders for accounts from that other machine. Just take ownership and change the permissions. Your best doing it from the root and redoing all the permissions on all the folders and files for this machine, or setting them to anyone/anon -- ie just wide open.

Its possible that you moved say this video folder from your old machine to your external drive? When you move stuff permissions are moved with them vs a copy where new copy takes on permissions of where it was copied too.

How do I take ownership of them? It wont even let me view the properties.

rUPsZSk.png

This is something I never understand. If you were to boot into a bartpe (XP PE) cd and try to read that same directory, you could read it clear as day without taking ownership what so ever, double click it, you're in. So what is the deal with Vista, 7 and 8. We know that's it's not required in PE, so why do the others care so much?

This is something I never understood. We know in most cases YOU DON"T HAVE to take owner ship. Well you do in Vista, 7 and 8 because for some reason they want to. But if you were to boot into a bartpe (XP PE) cd and try to read that same directory, you could, read it clear as day without taking ownership what so ever.

Was weird indeed, I never set any permissions, it was a standard "New Folder" and filled it with videos years ago.

This happened with me when I recently set up a new build--set up the OS on a SSD and used the old drive with all my files on it as a secondary/storage drive. I'm just going through doing that as needed, but it's quite normal, since the files were created/owned by a different SID on a different system.