Photo

Are wireless keyboards a security risk?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49

Thanks guys. I went ahead and bought the Logitech K360 keyboard. :)

#17 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:51

Cool. Let us know how it is for yah

#18 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:59

Personally,
I can't stand wireless keyboards OR mice, but as already stated, the range of them is next to nothing, so, unless some one is setting right next to you, no worries.

I see you already got one though. Enjoy!! :)

#19 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:01

Personally,
I can't stand wireless keyboards OR mice, but as already stated, the range of them is next to nothing, so, unless some one is setting right next to you, no worries.

I see you already got one though. Enjoy!! :)

I never really thought much about them until I started using them at work. They're pretty cool. The only thing that bugs me is the changing of batteries, but Logitech claims that the mouse (M510) and keyboard (K360) should last 2 years and 3 years, respectively, without battery changing. We shall see.

My Logitech wireless mouse at work (MK320 combo) is supposed to have a 1 year life before changing batteries, but I only had it for two months and already, the low battery indicator is blinking. But then again, I work almost 12 hours a day, so I didn't expect the battery to last too long, lol.

#20 Gary2MBz

Gary2MBz

Sneakier than your worst nightmare.

• Phone: AT&T iPhone 5 32GB - White & Silver

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:06

DaDude, welcome to the wireless input world haha. I have the same mouse but paired with a K800 wireless backlit keyboard and they don't last as long as 6 months unless you're barely touching the devices. I'd say the M510 lasted me about 5 months from the last time I changed the batteries (Energizers, that bunny still kept pounding the mouse til the red light one day got the best of it) and I have no complaints seeing as how I had a mouse from them from my EX110 set back then not lasting more than a month. My K800 is used fairly often with auto-brightness (not set using the Fn+F5/F6 option) and I'd type maybe 4 hours conservatively and it'll last 3 months until I REALLY need to plug it in to charge.

Logitech I KNOW does encrypt keystrokes and while it is technically possible to hack anything (WPA2 is no shining star exception either, just harder to break), it would take some real close range effort to get a significant amount of packets to break in. Microsoft has some neat sets as well from what I see and they also do encryption.

#21 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:09

I only use wired for this exact reason. I bought a wireless keyboard/mouse combo some time ago and did a test in terms of range. The signal being transmitted was strong enough that the keyboard/mouse would still work outside my house, even from the footpath (10 metres plus). I did some further research and also found that the data being sent (on this particular model) was unencrypted! With the right equipment (programmable Bluetooth dongle/DSO with serial decoding) it would be quite easy for someone to decode the data, because it all complies with serial data standards. I wonder what would happen if my neighbour bought the same hardware.

If you’re worried about security, stick with wired. You also won’t have to worry about any RF radiation being transmitted (possibly slowly cooking your cells) and changing batteries.

#22 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:35

I only use wired for this exact reason. I bought a wireless keyboard/mouse combo some time ago and did a test in terms of range. The signal being transmitted was strong enough that the keyboard/mouse would still work outside my house, even from the footpath (10 metres plus). I did some further research and also found that the data being sent (on this particular model) was unencrypted! With the right equipment (programmable Bluetooth dongle/DSO with serial decoding) it would be quite easy for someone to decode the data, because it all complies with serial data standards. I wonder what would happen if my neighbour bought the same hardware.

If you’re worried about security, stick with wired. You also won’t have to worry about any RF radiation being transmitted (possibly slowly cooking your cells) and changing batteries.

Complete BS.

Wireless keyboard at MOST hold 5 meters. After that, they get flaky on understanding input.

The chances of your neighbour buying the same keyboard are small; Your neighbour is not a tech freak like you and will buy your typical 30 bucks keyboard while we buy a lot more expensive hardware.

Also "RF radiation"? Please.

#23 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:54

Unless there's a cat around, then your fine.

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 31 March 2013 - 15:05

I never really thought much about them until I started using them at work. They're pretty cool. The only thing that bugs me is the changing of batteries, but Logitech claims that the mouse (M510) and keyboard (K360) should last 2 years and 3 years, respectively, without battery changing. We shall see.

My Logitech wireless mouse at work (MK320 combo) is supposed to have a 1 year life before changing batteries, but I only had it for two months and already, the low battery indicator is blinking. But then again, I work almost 12 hours a day, so I didn't expect the battery to last too long, lol.

That length of battery time is usually pretty accurate for a Logitch product. I've had the K520 and M310 keyboard and mouse combo for a couple years now and haven't had to change the batteries once yet

my guess with your mouse at work is that the supplied batteries may have been partially drained already (it can happen if they're sitting unused long enough)

#25 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:41

My M305 mouse battery lasts for about 2-3 months. My K250 keyboard, maybe twice a year?

But it all depends on what battery you use in it. I see that alkeline batteries work better than others.

#26 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 24

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:53

You do know that bluetooth is encrypted.
http://www.nsa.gov/i...732-016R-07.pdf

#27 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: s4

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:58

make sure the build this too... It is offers the best encryption to date and so far has been uncrackable. If you use 2 layers, there is no way ANYONE is getting through it.
Posted Image

#28 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 31 March 2013 - 17:21

I went to post before reading your whole comment, but yeah I too find the batteries don't last that long either.
I guess it depends on how much you use the devices. I probably change the batteries in my Logitech keyboard and Logitech touchpad once a month.
But then again, I buy cheap batteries, and changing them is no biggie. I'd rather change batteries than have cords running across my living room floor 15 feet to where my computer and monitor are.

#29 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 March 2013 - 17:25

It really depends on how hard you are pressing the keys. Each key on a wireless keyboard has a transmitter that sends out a signal when the key is pressed. Holding it too long or pressing too hard can increase the signal strength to the point where the FBI van outside your house can listen in. Solutions are to type softly or wrap the keyboard in aluminum.

Source: Internet

#30 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 17:40

Technically yes, they are banned on all MOD sites because of this possibility, but realistically I'd say no