Photo

Are wireless keyboards a security risk?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Chugworth

Chugworth

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 18:00

Are you constantly moving your keyboard around? Or is that wire so horrid of a thing that it's worth it to keep replacing batteries for it and introduce a potential security risk?

I used wireless mice for several years, and while they do have their advantages, I eventually got tired of worrying about batteries and went back to a wired mouse.

#32 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 31 March 2013 - 18:04

I use a wireless keyboard at work and think it's pretty cool. I was thinking of getting one for my desktop computer at home, but my friend was telling me that they're a security risk because since they're wireless, someone can hack into your keyboard and can know what you're typing. So if you type something personal like a CC# or SS#, then they can obtain that information.

Is this true? Is it unsafe for me to buy a wireless keyboard for my computer at home?

the person would have to have the biggest attena ... be very good and encryptions and still be very close... the range of a wireless usb stick is about 5 meters..the key board also has about 5ms ... that 10 ms of range you have with a keyboard someone would have to be very very close and have the right kind of connection to it... its all if and buts I wouldnt worry about it

#33 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:54

Okay, the tell the truth, my keyboard was a Logitech. It didn't use Bluetooth, but instead had it's own (Logitech) protocol. In this case, a Google search of the model number confirmed data being transmitted was not encrypted. And yes, the range was easily 10 meters plus. I switched back to wired soon after. This was over four years ago BTW. I presume the times have changed in relation to wireless keyboards/Bluetooth/encryption...

#34 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:05

the person would have to have the biggest attena ... be very good and encryptions and still be very close... the range of a wireless usb stick is about 5 meters..the key board also has about 5ms ... that 10 ms of range you have with a keyboard someone would have to be very very close and have the right kind of connection to it... its all if and buts I wouldnt worry about it

I was gonna say. I have trouble getting signal on my couch. If someone was intercepting my keystrokes, they'd have to be sitting next to me. :laugh: