Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 March 2013 - 00:09

Posted Image

- Always on, Always connected
- Low powered mode
- Kinect sold with every console, wider FOV, no motors, better tracking
- Kinect is required to be plugged in
- Low latency controller with "improved ergonomics", simplified interaction with console OS
- Bluray drive
- All games must be installed on HDD [you can start playing few secs after installation starts], game data streaming from optical disc not supported
- Only digital audio out

The Durango console is designed to offer game developers modern hardware that is more powerful than the Xbox 360. It uses a familiar x64 architecture and tools, and compared with Xbox 360 development time and effort spent on perfomance optimization. Hardware accelerators, including "move engines" for common tasks, will be added to the console. Move engines can perform common game tasks like compression and decompression while moving data around the system. The console also has dedicated hardware support form common audio processing tasks that reduce the amount of CPU time that must be devoted to audio. The GPU provides considerable computing power, and supports Direct3D 11.

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be requiered for the system to operate. The console will provide HD videos, and will use new depth sensor technology to provide better screen resolution and less noisy depth data. Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images ever in low ambiente light conditions. A wider field of view allows play in smaller spaces and removes the need for a tilt motor.

System software will offer a full set of system API for Natural User Interface (NUI), and the API set will be corresponding API used by Xbox 360. Skeleton tracking, identity, and other NUI functions will be performed by the system and for that reason, titles no longer need to allocate title resources to NUI.

The Durango controller will make the best-in-class Xbox 360 controller ever better. It will have low-latency wireless connectivity to the console, and improve ergonomics. System interactions that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers.

Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been choosen. It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will be not supported.

Durango consoles will have Blu-ray Disc drive. Disc media will be used dor distributuion, but during gameplay, games will not use content from optical disc. An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until insatallation is complete.

Audio from Durango will be all digital - 7.1 discrete PCM output through HDMIU and S/PDIF. Hardware accelerators will be included for decoding and decompressing common audio formats. There also will be a dedicated processor to perform common signal processing in hardware.

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

#2 TheGhostWalker

TheGhostWalker

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate & Fedora 19 & Mac OS X 10.9.4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 00:26

Nvidia yells the PS4 is a bad gaming computer. But this sounds more like that to me?
You HAVE TO install the game to the harddrive, you can't play from the disc? wtf?
Kinect HAS to be plugged in?

I already decided what console to buy, unless something changes ofc -.-

#3 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 00:32

This sounds like they're taking the same approach as Steam. Everything you buy will be tied to your account, and discs are not really needed, but can be used by people with limited bandwidth.

#4 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:35

D3D11, background updates, Blu-Ray and disk installs are all great to hear, Kinect I couldn't care less (I'm not 8 years old) about but I'm sure it'd come in useful for some things.

#5 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:59

Seriously?

You HAVE to install ALL games, unless the HDD is like 1Tb you aren't going to fit many 35-50Gb games on a HDD. I bet they will require you to have the disc in the drive as well even though its installed and playing from HDD.

Always on, kinect mandatory, amazing how arrogant a company can be, PS4 definitely for me this generation.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:30

The have to install is because of bluray and the slow read speed. And it doesn't say you have to do a full install like the 360 "installs", just that you have to do an install, which is likely a mini install.

And it'd be surprised if it wasn't 1TB. And since it's most likely a mini install, of course you need the disk, if you didn't you could just install and give it away. Unless every disk was signed and it could ony be played on your account.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37

It says streaming from optical disc not supported so its hardly going to be "mini" installs.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:55

I know which console I'm buying too!

Both of em. PC gaming can dig itself out of the hole before I come back to it.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:00

Sure it does. it's called pre-streaming. or pre-loading. the game knows where you are and loads up where you are. it's amazing what you can do with modern technology and programming...

either way it doesn't matter if it's big or mini installs, you can start playing from a few seconds after you pop in the disk, (hey that beats the PS3) and they say the HDD will be big enough to handle it. it's not like they're going to pop in a 350GB HDD and have 30-50GB games.... think about it.

I know which console I'm buying too!

Both of em. PC gaming can dig itself out of the hole before I come back to it.

I don't see the need to have both of them, not enough exclusives to be worth it. it those that are usually have "versions" on the other console anyway. also to much stuff to have to hook up everywhere for no good reason, and I don't have time to play all the games anyway. And MS has proven that they are much better at the very important software side, which they should be.

#10 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:31

Seriously?

You HAVE to install ALL games, unless the HDD is like 1Tb you aren't going to fit many 35-50Gb games on a HDD. I bet they will require you to have the disc in the drive as well even though its installed and playing from HDD.

Always on, kinect mandatory, amazing how arrogant a company can be, PS4 definitely for me this generation.

I'll be considering a PS4 myself unless it also requires always on and Kinect. Plus it has better non-FPS games. If only it had the Xbox controller. :/

#11 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:44

You can turn the next Xbox off if you want, they won't get mad at you if you do.

#12 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:57

I don't see the need to have both of them, not enough exclusives to be worth it. it those that are usually have "versions" on the other console anyway. also to much stuff to have to hook up everywhere for no good reason, and I don't have time to play all the games anyway. And MS has proven that they are much better at the very important software side, which they should be.

I had a 360, and there were plenty of exclusives I liked (Gears of War, Crackdown) even though I couldn't care less about Halo. There's a lot of stuff on the PS3 side I wish I had played, but it's too late for me to get one (Uncharted, Persona off the top of my head...I'm sure I could find more.)

Also I really liked Kinect...it just needed a better console heh.

#13 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:00

Nvidia yells the PS4 is a bad gaming computer. But this sounds more like that to me?
You HAVE TO install the game to the harddrive, you can't play from the disc? wtf?
Kinect HAS to be plugged in?

I already decided what console to buy, unless something changes ofc -.-

Anything Nvidia says at this point is way to biased to believe. They lost 2 of the biggest console contracts to their biggest rival in the graphics section, what did you think they would say?

Probably going to get both consoles myself as well. Just for the exclusives sake already.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:12

I'll be considering a PS4 myself unless it also requires always on and Kinect. Plus it has better non-FPS games. If only it had the Xbox controller. :/

it doesn't say always on/always connected is required. just that it can be always on and connected. which means that even if your console is "off" updates and new content can be "pushed" to it. basically an extended version of the current background/half-off downloading the 360 does.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13

Anything Nvidia says at this point is way to biased to believe. They lost 2 of the biggest console contracts to their biggest rival in the graphics section, what did you think they would say?

Probably going to get both consoles myself as well. Just for the exclusives sake already.

I doubt they were really in the running anyway, since they couldn't offer a single chip solution like AMD can. There might be a way to do it in the future with the 64 bit ARM stuff and whatevers past that, but right now they've only really got mobile tech.