• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#16 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:46

I don't necessarily like the sound of some of these things but ill wait till I see the unveling as seeing how it all interacts will be the key.

#17 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:52

Everything we hear about the next Xbox just makes it sound awful. I don't want Kinect. I don't want an "entertainment hub" I don't want MS to tell me they are not abandoning the core while they roll out another Halo/Cod/Gears.

At this point I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother with next gen at all, the microtransaction, dude-bro, every multiplayer game must feature unlocks that give people who play the most ridiculous advantages, has ruined gaming for me.

Gaming was better when it wasnt popular.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:59

Why is everyone jumping the gun on the always-on bit? This is just another thing they already have to an extent on the 360 and sounds exactly like what my Windows 8 tablet does. I love the idea of it being able to stay updated when I'm not playing it so that when I do go to play a game I don't have to wait at all.

As for the mandatory install bit, talk about double standards with some of you, there are quite a number of PS3 games that already require a install before you play but that was fine enough for you, heaven forbid it's MS and you suddenly have a problem with it now?

We're still talking about rumors and reportedly outdated documents.

#19 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:06

As for the mandatory install bit, talk about double standards with some of you, there are quite a number of PS3 games that already require a install before you play but that was fine enough for you, heaven forbid it's MS and you suddenly have a problem with it now?

Who says it was fine enough, along with the patches the caching game data is the worst thing about the PS3.

#20 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19

First of all a lot of people are overreacting. This is old news. Because this is neowin, old news is new news.

We haven't seen anything yet and people are already overreacting big time.

1) We don't really have all of the facts.
2) Who cares if Kinect is needed for the OS, I think that's how it should be. Using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic.
3) It's always on using low power (um like the Wii, big deal).
4) Always online (like a PC), this does not mean the games will always have to be online.
5) If it works using a progressive install and it uses the cloud for game saves I think that is fine.
It installs the game as you play it and you gain a lot of speed from the hard drive and you can switch to many different games almost instantly.

For so many people on this forum always talking about rationality, why is it when it comes to things that are not released yet rationality goes out the window?

Most of the people on this forum are a bunch of drama queens and Microsoft haven't even announced their console yet, let alone have an E3 Keynote for it and a lot of you are bailing out on something you don't even understand yet.

Please, don't even lecture me about Rationality and Logic ever again. Let's wait and get confirmation by E3 of all of these fears so we can get the facts from the source on what all of this means.

Sony hasn't told you everything about the PS4, are you going to act like a drama queen and go Wii U next when you find out that they are doing many of the same things that Microsoft is doing?

#21 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:40

If things are the way that they sound. I have no problems with any of this. Welcome to 2013. This isn't the year 2000 anymore. This is progress and I am fine with it.
Most people here are a bunch of drama queens and are scared that their precious games that we have played for a decade are going to change. Good, I am happy. That is called change and change can be good.

Enough of the samey games that I have been playing for a decade. Installing games will make them faster allowing the games to load faster (so I don't have to wait to spin up a loud disk for no good reason. It also allows me to switch games at will, maybe even using my voice in the other room while I check my email. Allowing to go online and update my games online in realtime. Okay, so this didn't work out well for SimCity, that is one game, stop panicking. Maybe we can have some cool MMO's on consoles now instead of playing WOW for 10 years.

Having the console on low power is great because just like the PS4 there is some amazing things you can do with it in low power. Respond to your voice to do different tasks or to instantly resume to play a game using your voice. In the future maybe using it to control items in your house.

The hardcore always disappoint me because if it was up to them, we would still be using the old game-pads from years ago. They just want to keep the status quo forever.
You are still getting your game-pad, you just now also have a Kinect in the box. OMG it's the end of the world! Get over yourselves you whiny brats. The world is changing and it's the 21st century and this is progress. If you don't like it go back to your SNES and cry.

As much as I can't stand this Internet Meme... "First world problems"

Could you imagine the first generation (with TV's with remote control in the box) kids that thought a TV remote was useless. "Waaaaaa, I want to get up to change the channels!"

#22 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:41

>>We haven't seen anything yet and people are already overreacting big time.<<

Including you. With your opinions. Just like everyone else here, and as we all know, everyone has an opinion and no one thinks theirs stinks. You're no exception.

>> 2) Who cares if Kinect is needed for the OS, I think that's how it should be. Using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic.

Please give a real world example, other than a smartphone for which there is no controller, in which using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic?

Archaic
  • Very old or old-fashioned.
  • (of a word or a style of language) No longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavor.

>>3) It's always on using low power (um like the Wii, big deal).
4) Always online (like a PC), this does not mean the games will always have to be online.<<

A PC absolutely is not always online. Your internet connection may be, but not your PC. And being online is not require for it to fully function. You can block whatever communications you want with a firewall or even disable your network adapter. This is a ridiculous analogy.

The issue for many isn't power or being online, it's the requirement to be online connected to big brother for the console to function. And if people don't like it, the don't have to and may not buy it. It's that simple.

#23 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:49

>>We haven't seen anything yet and people are already overreacting big time.<<

Including you. With your opinions. Just like everyone else here, and as we all know, everyone has an opinion and no one thinks theirs stinks. You're no exception.

>> 2) Who cares if Kinect is needed for the OS, I think that's how it should be. Using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic.

Please give a real world example, other than a smartphone for which there is no controller, in which using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic?

Archaic

• Very old or old-fashioned.
  • (of a word or a style of language) No longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavor.
>>3) It's always on using low power (um like the Wii, big deal).
4) Always online (like a PC), this does not mean the games will always have to be online.<<

A PC absolutely is not always online. Your internet connection may be, but not your PC. And being online is not require for it to fully function. You can block whatever communications you want with a firewall or even disable your network adapter. This is a ridiculous analogy.

The issue for many isn't power or being online, it's the requirement to be online connected to big brother for the console to function. And if people don't like it, the don't have to and may not buy it. It's that simple.

My PC is always online, connected to different services and often downloading things, anyways that's not the point. Your jumping to a conclusion here. They say always on and always connected. This fits with the idea of it being able to check for updates and install them automatically, it's connected standby on a console. It's not stated that you have to be always online to use it or play games. I expect to see more of a app store in the next Xbox, it's also looking like we're getting more of a true multitasking system. If you want the apps you have to stay up to date like on your pc or smartphones then the system has to have the same connected standby option there.

#24 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52

The have to install is because of bluray and the slow read speed.

But it's been over six years since the PS3 launched with its 2x (9MB/s) drive; surely Blu-Ray drive speeds have improved to more usable levels in that time? Looking at the PS4's specs, the answer is
"yes"
, as it's going to have a 6x (27MB/s) drive.

#25 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:55

First of all a lot of people are overreacting. This is old news. Because this is neowin, old news is new news.

Considering it was only posted yesterday on VGLeaks, hardly old news.

#26 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:56

We haven't seen anything yet and people are already overreacting big time. ---> These rumours fall in line with previous ones. Edge reported all this stuff and they were spot on with their PS4 stuff as well. Theres no smoke without fire.

1) We don't really have all of the facts. ---> True, but see above
2) Who cares if Kinect is needed for the OS, I think that's how it should be. Using a controller to navigate OS menus is archaic. ---> No just no. Using an accurate device, perfected over years of use is now archaic compared to inaccurately waving your arms about or mistake prone voice commands? I dont think so.
3) It's always on using low power (um like the Wii, big deal). ---> Depends, Kinect is required to be plugged in and on, if they do the same with the online connection....
4) Always online (like a PC), this does not mean the games will always have to be online. ---> Like a pc? Like SimCity you mean? or all the other DRM games that only let you play if you are connected to their servers?

Most of the people on this forum are a bunch of drama queens and Microsoft haven't even announced their console yet, let alone have an E3 Keynote for it and a lot of you are bailing out on something you don't even understand yet.

Please, don't even lecture me about Rationality and Logic ever again. Let's wait and get confirmation by E3 of all of these fears so we can get the facts from the source on what all of this means.

#27 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:02

This is just very old stuff that stays as speculation. The "always on" for games has proven to upset gamers, how about Sim City? :D
The PS4 has barely been given some specs and even that could change, remember the boomerang gamepad? Even if originally MS wanted their console to have these "hated" features, unless official word and final console is out it's just stuff to feed websites with hits.

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:04

But it's been over six years since the PS3 launched with its 2x (9MB/s) drive; surely Blu-Ray drive speeds have improved to more usable levels in that time? Looking at the PS4's specs, the answer is
"yes", as it's going to have a 6x (27MB/s) drive.

The speed is better than what it was but at the same time the games are also getting bigger. We'll see how it goes but even at 6x 27MB/s that's still way slower than what you'll get from a SATA3 hdd.

#29 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:09

Seriously?

You HAVE to install ALL games, unless the HDD is like 1Tb you aren't going to fit many 35-50Gb games on a HDD. I bet they will require you to have the disc in the drive as well even though its installed and playing from HDD.

Always on, kinect mandatory, amazing how arrogant a company can be, PS4 definitely for me this generation.

Arrogant? How are they being arrogant?

God, some people are so damn sensitive about this stuff.

#30 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:11

There's nothing wrong with them bundling Kinect with the next Xbox, it allows devs to rely on it (Similar to how devs can rely on a hard drive). It doesn't force them to use it but it gets rid of the distinction between kinect and "normal" Xbox games.