• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#46 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:37

Archaic means old fashioned. So you're telling me that people are currently waving their hands around to navigate media, CDs, DVDs, as opposed to a controller (which includes remotes, gamepads, and smartphones with smartglass).
Edit: Sitting on a couch for entertainment purposes does make more sense than anywhere else, I'll give you that. I just don't see it ever becoming mainstream.

All the major tv makers disagree.

#47 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:39

i am not sure how i feel about having to install the game.

#48 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:59

Jumping to conclusions and seeing everything as negative. It's not arrogance, it's progressive. You are still living in 1999.

"OMG Microsoft is trying to innovate and be progressive, they are so arrogant!"

You wonder why most people think that people who are hardcore at playing games are so immature. Well, there you go. You just showed them.

Weak specs, media focused, anti used games, always on, always connected, always watching, mandatory game installs, how is that progressive. Microsoft is giving developers/consumers what Microsoft thinks they want rather than what the devs/consumers actually want.

As for your silly little comments trying to belittle me for no reason whatsoever, jog on.

Speaking of first world problems, my biggest pain is walking across the room to find the game disk I want to play and putting in the disk.
The install feature would be awesome because I could switch games almost instantly and using voice as well. Remember you can install them while you play them at the same time.

So, installing the game while I play makes me actually happy because that rocks as long as I don't have to find the disk I am fine with it.

They didn't allow it with game installs on the 360, what makes you think they will allow you to install the game and not require you to have the disk in the drive, as I said, Microsoft are doing what Microsoft wants rather than what the consumer wants.

#49 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:01

Mandatory installs doesn't really bother me. I already do that with my 360 if I know I'll be playing a game often. It's the always on, always online part that I can't stand.

If my console is off, it should be off. No "low draw" states or any of that garbage. And the always online part is most likely DRM. Sure they refer to it as a way of keeping the console and your games always up to date when you're not using it, and they didn't explicitly state it was DRM. But lets be honest, the way the industry is headed today, it's going to be some form of DRM. In fact, it already technically is, since it's not going to allow used games.

Mandatory Kinect doesn't really appeal to me either, but I'll wait and see how required it truly is once they reveal the OS. If Kinect isn't a tool to make normal workflows easier, but is truly required to get 100% functionality out of the console, (i.e. the controller can't let you operate the console with 100% functionality) then it becomes a detriment. Also since it's required to be plugged in, I'm not looking forward to yet another wire to have to deal with in my entertainment center.

Overall, it looks like I won't be getting the nextbox; which is sad considering the 360 is my favorite console of the current generation.

#50 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:06

The fact that the (worthless) kinect is forced upon you and included in the box makes the earlier reports of the xbox 3 being significantly underpowered(compared to the ps4) seem all the more true. Unless microsoft decides to be the sony this time around and charge an obscene price for the system. But i doubt they would, as greedy as they are.

Jumping to conclusions and seeing everything as negative. It's not arrogance, it's progressive. You are still living in 1999.

"OMG Microsoft is trying to innovate and be progressive, they are so arrogant!"

You wonder why most people think that people who are hardcore at playing games are so immature. Well, there you go. You just showed them.

LOL @ innovate. How exactly are they trying to innovate? Always on and online isn't new and innovative. Neither is installing a game new and innovative. Nor is their motion control gimmick that has been proven time and again to be absolutely worthless for anything more than casual and dance/fitness games.

Please take off your microsoft fan goggles.

#51 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:10

Here's a tip: Don't be a douche when replying to someone who's ignorant on the issue; you'll be taken more seriously then.

Posted Image

#52 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:19

The only thing that really is a bit off to me is Kinect must be plugged in. I am not sure where I would put it if it needs to be above or below the TV like the Wii sensor bar does since I already have a Wii sensor bar installed. My wife hates **** just floating around on our entertainment center, so that could be a slight issue. Other then that, the rest of the features do not bother me at all.

A few pages back HawkMan said something I actually finally have come to agree with, and that is one does not need to own both consoles. I have always known it, but I have owned them both because I could. However I may not pick up both consoles this upcoming generation. I will be 40 in less then 2 years now, and I just do not have time to play games like I once did. I can afford both consoles no issues, but I honestly may for once be smart about things and not get them both. So if that somehow does become a reality, it is a slim chance but if I only did get one console, if these rumors are true, I would get the PS4 as it suits my gaming needs better.

Please take off your microsoft fan goggles.

You clearly have never seen this member post before if you think this is even remotely a possibility.

#53 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:35

The have to install is because of bluray and the slow read speed. And it doesn't say you have to do a full install like the 360 "installs", just that you have to do an install, which is likely a mini install.

And it'd be surprised if it wasn't 1TB. And since it's most likely a mini install, of course you need the disk, if you didn't you could just install and give it away. Unless every disk was signed and it could ony be played on your account.

"games will not use content from optical disc" sounds like requires a full install to me, if games can not use content from optical discs

#54 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:42

The only thing that really is a bit off to me is Kinect must be plugged in. I am not sure where I would put it if it needs to be above or below the TV like the Wii sensor bar does since I already have a Wii sensor bar installed. My wife hates **** just floating around on our entertainment center, so that could be a slight issue. Other then that, the rest of the features do not bother me at all.

A few pages back HawkMan said something I actually finally have come to agree with, and that is one does not need to own both consoles. I have always known it, but I have owned them both because I could. However I may not pick up both consoles this upcoming generation. I will be 40 in less then 2 years now, and I just do not have time to play games like I once did. I can afford both consoles no issues, but I honestly may for once be smart about things and not get them both. So if that somehow does become a reality, it is a slim chance but if I only did get one console, if these rumors are true, I would get the PS4 as it suits my gaming needs better.

You clearly have never seen this member post before if you think this is even remotely a possibility.

She's much like me then, an OCD minimalist :laugh:

#55 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:58

Weak specs, media focused, anti used games, always on, always connected, always watching, mandatory game installs, how is that progressive. Microsoft is giving developers/consumers what Microsoft thinks they want rather than what the devs/consumers actually want.

Rumored specs close enough to the PS4 that it doesn't matter which one you pick. especially since specs don't mean everything as far as performance or graphics goes. Media focused, like the PS4, only MS is better at it and has better media services with their xbox movies and music services. Xbox movies is still the highest bitrate movie streamer. always conected, umm like the PS4 .... always watching ? err what ? stop smoking the weed. mandatory game installs. which is irrelevant, has to be done on all high quality PS3 games as well, and I'm sure you'll find the PS4 will do the same thing, or it'll have severely low quality textures and/or texture popping.

it's progressive because:

Developers KNOW everyone has a Kinect available, and a Kinect2.0 at that that can see a lot more and in much higher detail, and is the only usable gesture control control in any case. you can control menus and movies with your voice and hand gestures. and for full body and exercise "games" full body tracking makes a 100 times more sense than wands and ninchucks. that allows developers to make games that make good use of the next gen kinect much more than today when it was all or nothing, with a few notable exceptions like ghost recon.

Always on, always online is definitely progress. granted the 360 patched games so fast it didn't matter anyway, but now I can get on my game, and not only is my console already patched up, all my metro apps are patched up, my games are patched, DLC for my games are downloaded so I just need to pay for them where that is needed. It can download new arcade games for me as it sees fit (remember the xbox had download of every new arcade game from the start as a setting).

As for the used games thing, which is just a rumor and has nothing to do with the always online rumor(which doesn't mean it has to be online). Imagine this. All games are basically digital copies, you just buy a license code to apply the download to your account(s), this code is embedded on the disks, and the disks are merely a physical copy of the download. This means I can play the games on any console I'm on(like steam), I can play the game without the disk as the disk, is just storage for the game data. Basically giving you all the benefits of a digital download system like steam, without the drawbacks of having to download several gigabytes on slow, unreliable and capped lines. that's what I call an advantage, IF that's what they've chosen to do, most likely, I think this is on option the publishers can chose but not the only one.

As for game installs, well allowing you to install games while you play, seems like progress to be.

dunno, maybe your definition of progress just happens to be a bit biased ?

#56 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 March 2013 - 14:00

mandatory game installs. which is irrelevant, has to be done on all high quality PS3 games as well, and I'm sure you'll find the PS4 will do the same thing, or it'll have severely low quality textures and/or texture popping.

No it doesn't.

#57 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 14:14

She's much like me then, an OCD minimalist :laugh:

Wii bar under tv, Kinect on top of tv. problem solved :)

No it doesn't.

well no, not if you don't care about long loading times, then no sure.

#58 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 14:47

1) We don't know that is the case yet.
2) If used correctly I wouldn't see an issue with this. Examples: Part of your world could be changed dynamically as you play it by using the cloud or you could have an option that you turn on where people could spectate your game play. Maybe a character could interact with you using the latest news or technology headlines.

Using online could actually enhance game play in real time in the background as you play. If used properly of course.

Don't disagree with any of that.

#59 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:00

The fact that the (worthless) kinect is forced upon you and included in the box makes the earlier reports of the xbox 3 being significantly underpowered(compared to the ps4) seem all the more true.

I wouldn't call it worthless. It's not for everyone. I have one and have found limited use. For navigation it's actually easier and faster if a controller is nearby. If not, it is convenient to be able to then speak your way through. Of course talking out loud for general navigation probably isn't going to be, and hasn't become a big thing to do. If you "have" to connect it, hopefully it has been streamlined. With no motor, it should be much smaller. Also requiring less physical space will help increase its use.

As for the Xbox 3 reportedly being underpowered compared to the PS4. That is the interpretation of PS fans. Most centered around GDDR5 vs. DDR3. While all things being equal GDDR5 is faster, and more expensive, there are many things that can be done to erase or eliminate the modest real world performance gain. And talking 8GB, it could result in a significant console price difference. Cost means a LOT these days.

#60 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 March 2013 - 15:05

Sure they refer to it as a way of keeping the console and your games always up to date when you're not using it, and they didn't explicitly state it was DRM. But lets be honest, the way the industry is headed today, it's going to be some form of DRM. In fact, it already technically is, since it's not going to allow used games.

That is the issue with always connected. If it is indeed that, and Sony does not implement this, it'll be a disaster for the Xbox platform. This is the critical spec everyone is waiting for clarification on.