Photo

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#91 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:17

Depends on whether they're including sales of the Kinect that came with the Xbox 360's newer models I guess, wouldn't it? My friend for example got Kinect just because he got a new Xbox as a gift (his last one burned up on him heh).

that would only be true if the Kinect was added for free,or if only the Kinect bundle is available and not the console itself. if someone is buying an xbox and doesn't care for Kinect,why would they pay $100-$150 more for the bundle?.

#92 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:19

Must be including Kinect/360 bundles, I doubt they sold that many stand-alone. Requiring Kinect is just a way for them to force the sale - so later on we will hear about how many Kinects were sold.

Still not sure which direction I'll go. Want to see what the online offerings are. If Microsoft charges for LIVE again, they made my decision for me.

They're charging for Live. That's one of their money makers. Me, free is good, but some things are worth paying for. The free PS community is one of the things I didn't like about the platform. Even a small subscription like $40 annually is some level of riff raff filter. It was bad, real bad. And at that time, blocking/ignoring/reporting was medieval on PSN.

#93 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:20

Must be including Kinect/360 bundles, I doubt they sold that many stand-alone. Requiring Kinect is just a way for them to force the sale - so later on we will hear about how many Kinects were sold.

Still not sure which direction I'll go. Want to see what the online offerings are. If Microsoft charges for LIVE again, they made my decision for me.

dude,that doesn't make sense. the bundle is at least $100 more. How are they forcing the Kinect? People are buying the bundle for Kinect. Its $100 cheaper today to buy the console without Kinect bundled.

#94 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:45

At 1TB, for 50gb a disc, your looking at 20-25 games.

You're assuming that every game will use up the entirety of the disc. They wont. Not all games will need the full 50GB of a dual layer blu-ray disc.

#95 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 17:57

No but a lot of PS3 exclusive games run 20-50Gb, the only reason multiplatform games were small this gen was 360 8Gb Dual Layer limit. Pointless having Bluray if they aren't going to make use of it.

#96 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:02

No but a lot of PS3 exclusive games run 20-50Gb, the only reason multiplatform games were small this gen was 360 8Gb Dual Layer limit. Pointless having Bluray if they aren't going to make use of it.

Err no they don't. even the largest highest quality PC MMO games(the games with the most and highest quality(largest) assets) don't reach 50 yet. not even Secret World which is ginormous.

#97 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:14

Do you have to be such an insufferable arrogant know it all, all the time, its getting boring.

Uncharted - 22GB
Uncharted 2 - 23GB
Uncharted 3 - 51GB
Gran Turismo 5 - 20GB
Killzone 3 - 46GB
God of War 3 - 45GB
God of War Ascension - 38GB
Heavy Rain - 21GB
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 28GB

I never said it was all game assets, but clearly dual layer discs were holding games back.

#98 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:16

A lot is apparently 2 games now then, and all of those games include heavy padding and repeated content, especially the 40+ games.

#99 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:18

So you went from "errrr no" to "now and then", people like you are the exact reason I post on other forums now, you go out of your way to point out that someone is wrong even when you yourself are wrong and then refuse to admit it, jog on.

#100 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:21

How much of the space on some of those larger ones is simply from not bothering to compress various assets(audio/cinematics/etc) because they had a load of excess space to use?

#101 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:31

All of them probably, but now both consoles will have Blu-Ray devs can start making use of the space.

#102 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:36

So you went from "errrr no" to "now and then", people like you are the exact reason I post on other forums now, you go out of your way to point out that someone is wrong even when you yourself are wrong and then refuse to admit it, jog on.

no, I didn't. you where the one who claimed a lot of games where up to 50GB big. which they are not, and games that are 20GB because the BD disk is padded with the same data 2 or 3 times don't really count as 20GB games.

PC game sizes are more representative of the size of next gen games anyway, as PC games are always current games, which is what next gen will be. and I can fit a lot of pc games on 500GB-1TB

#103 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:43

How much of the space on some of those larger ones is simply from not bothering to compress various assets(audio/cinematics/etc) because they had a load of excess space to use?

Depends on the asset. unlike what a lot of gamers think. textures are not stored uncompressed on disk, EVER, unless the developer is a complete utter moron. since all graphics cards for the last... 10 years or so, has supported compressed textures in memory. and even with 2GB graphics cards, textures are so huge, you need to have them compressed to fit all those huge size textures. So the only thing you do by storing uncompressed textures, is increased load times, increased GPU load by havign to live compress the textures, unknown texture quality, as the GPU will set the quality, whereas pre-compresed textures the artists have full control of the quality of the compressed textures and and make sure it doesn't have errors or artifacts or lost details.

for Audio it's a bit hit and miss. but then you have people who think that all the in game audio is stored in pre recorder 5 channel files as well, when it's in fact stored as one channel files and the surround is live calculated by the engine.

what usually takes up a lot of space on disks is pre-rendered FMV's which is usually a JRPG thing. though games have proven that FMV's are bettered done in game engine nowadays, and that'll be even more so in next gen.

#104 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:46

Always on means the system wont work unless your connected to the internet that's including the os it self it also means you cant mod the Xbox to have a chip inside to play non region specific games eaither

#105 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:53

but clearly dual layer discs were holding games back.

I don't think that's true at all.

You listed a bunch of games which have huge files sizes compared to anything on Xbox360, & yet none of those games are comparitively advanced.

It's not like bigger file size = better graphics.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!