VGLeaks: First look as Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required)

Games with a heavy reliance on multiplayer are moving more and more towards the "online pass" model, where you get a serial in the box to play multiplayer, but then the next person (with a used copy) needs to buy another pass to play the game.

That option is much more attractive to publishers than simply blocking used games, it allows them to make money from the initial sale and any resale.

Edit: Similar to how code signing and blocking unsigned code is more attractive than always online DRM, if the underlying OS enforces it you don't have to worry about cracked/pirated copies.

I meant that they are forcing it on next-gen. Kinect is required, at least according to this 'first look'. But I'm a pessimist, my feeling is they are doing it for the big benefit of claiming they have the best selling movement controller. And at this point, since we don't know what the console will actually cost, I'm not going to say they are just throwing it in. This also irks me because I, personally, thought the Dash went to crap when they started Kinect-ifying it and I have a feeling those of us who do not want to use Kinect will have an equally irritating time navigating the next Dash. We'll see, I really hate to speculate on anything anymore. One word: Cinavia.

My bad that is suppose to say move towards DRM, DOH! lol

Oh i know about Cinavia btw I have encountered it many times on the PS3 :(

The next XBOX is guaranteed to have Cinavia, as long as it has a Blu-Ray drive. New Blu-Ray players are required to support Cinavia.

Cinavia isn't as big an issue as blocking used games, or always online DRM for the legitimate customer. If you're ripping your own movies rip the DTS track. If you supply DTS to the PS3 you do not get cinavia issues even on protected movies when using PS3 Media Server/Universal Media Server.

It is still crappy DRM, but moving to completely blocking used games and/or always online is a disaster waiting to happen. Online passes are fine, keep using those, but outright blocking is awful.

Cinavia may also get cracked one day, you simply aren't getting a console that blocks used games to ever run them.

I don't know why you guys are jumping to conclusions. What's the big deal with having to install games to the HD. I already do that with my 360. The games load quicker that way. You still need the disc in the drive for verification. Even if they do require you to go online to activate the game, I'm sure it will be like Steam and not like SimCity. Where you only have to go online when you first install the game, from then on you can play offline. Also, having to activate with a code doesn't rule out used games. The game could de-activate when you uninstall it.

The XDK document is pretty clear what Always On/Always Connected means. The console will remain in a low power state and keep the system up to date. The PS4 does exactly the same thing. It's a nice feature.

Quoted from the XDK document:

"Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

Also, having to activate with a code doesn't rule out used games. The game could de-activate when you uninstall it.

You're quite uh....optimistic(to put it nicely) if you think microsoft would actually allow you to do that if activations were required.