Will I regret buying a "K" CPU?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 20 March 2013 - 16:44

It all depends on your needs as the K and non K chips aren't 100% identical. For instance, K series chips lack VT-d support. If you're planning on using VMs a lot and not planning on overclocking then a K series chip is worse off than a non-K. Basically, it all depends on your needs and what the chip offers. But a K isn't the same as a non-K with the ability to overclock. Intel doesn't like to make anything that easy :p

Keep in mind that if your CPU roasted due to a failure of the stock fan when properly installed Intel would be obligated to replace it for you as long as you purchased the retail chip. Intel gives all of their retail chips a three year warranty. As a result, I'm sure the stock cooler is more than enough unless you have needs that extend beyond that (overclocking, quieter operation, etc.).

I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to mention this. The K version lacks features and processors are plenty fast these days to eliminate the need to overclock unless you're doing it for fun. the default choice should be the non-K version.

#32 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 16:51

You will only regret the K if you need to Virtualize Peripherals for VMs. Chances of this being an issue on a desktop are slim to none.

The K fully supports hardware assisted virtualization, VT-x. It does not support Directed I/O, VT-d. Allowing multiple VMs direct access to hardware and I/O devices.

I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to mention this. The K version lacks features and processors are plenty fast these days to eliminate the need to overclock unless you're doing it for fun. the default choice should be the non-K version.

Gamers and enthusiasts always have a need to overclock. ;>

I think the default choice should be the K version. They are generally 10% cheaper and for a desktop VT-d is simply not needed 99.99999% of the time.

#33 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 20:17

Not having VT-d on the K models is really strange, even the Intel guy who did an AmA on Reddit didn't realise that it was missing. It's useful for virtual machines but it's also useful as a security measure (It allows the OS/hardware to e.g. segment off parts of memory so a device driver can't do DMA outside the allowed bounds, which is super useful for Thunderbolt/Firewire)

#34 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 20 March 2013 - 20:22

You will only regret the K if you need to Virtualize Peripherals for VMs. Chances of this being an issue on a desktop are slim to none.

The K fully supports hardware assisted virtualization, VT-x. It does not support Directed I/O, VT-d. Allowing multiple VMs direct access to hardware and I/O devices.

Gamers and enthusiasts always have a need to overclock. ;>

I think the default choice should be the K version. They are generally 10% cheaper and for a desktop VT-d is simply not needed 99.99999% of the time.

They're never cheaper in the UK.

#35 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 20 March 2013 - 20:27

They're never cheaper in the UK.

If that's the case, then yeah, I'd get the non-K. Wonder why that is?

#36 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 20:34

If that's the case, then yeah, I'd get the non-K. Wonder why that is?

Because K are cherry-picked and unlockable. Of course they're more expensive. They're enthusiast variants.

#37 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:21

Because K are cherry-picked and unlockable. Of course they're more expensive. They're enthusiast variants.

No I mean why they're more expensive in the UK and cheaper in USA.

Edit: Actually I just checked Newegg and it has reversed itself. Wasn't that way last month and most of the year. hmmmm.

#38 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:23

No I mean why they're more expensive in the UK and cheaper in USA.

Ooh! :) Probably a few reasons, including the fact they're made there and your tax system is different.

#39 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:23

Uk gets more taxes right?

#40 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:30

I would go with the 3570K, I have it and did NOT invest (yet) into an after market cooler and the stock has been great! I used my motherboard to I guess overclock my system using the Asus Optimal setting and with then it (in OS) OCs (the turbo feature) to 4GHz and the temp might get to 40-45 degress celcius at most.

Edit: Other reason im sticking with the stock cooler for now, is if any chance it craps out it will make life easier with Intel :p

#41 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:31

Uk gets more taxes right?

Yes, but we don't have to pay for our general heathcare. This is going off-topic :p

#42 J400uk

J400uk

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5 32GB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:39

I've got a 3770K but its never been overclocked and probably never will be. Don't really regret it either way!

#43 Hebulba

Hebulba

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:41

It's not even necessary to get K processor to overclock but it makes overclocking a lot easier.
I haven't had any unlocked processors in the past and have always OC'd by changing bus frequency.
After my i7 930 gets obsolete I just might get one that's unlocked be it Hashwell or Broadwell.

#44 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:42

I love the K because of the capability, from installing it default it amazed me with it now reaching 4GHz with turbo, so no need for me to mess with anything especially since its stable.

Oh and I love how the core voltage typically uses less than 1V

#45 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:44

I love the K because of the capability, from installing it default it amazed me with it now reaching 4GHz with turbo, so no need for me to mess with anything especially since its stable.

Oh and I love how the core voltage typically uses less than 1V

Everything you mentioned is standard on the non K, too.