Are current builds so much different than mine?

Hello!

I was wondering since new CPUs/RAMs/GPUs/SSDs/etc.. models are on the market now and then

I would like to know how much different they are in terms of performance with my 4 year old PC and what they can do better

My PC Build

==========

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz

RAM: 3x2GB Triple Channel OCZ Core i7 Edition 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24

M/B: MSI X58A-GD65

GPU: ATI Sapphire HD4870 1GB

PSU: Coolermaster M850 (850 watt)

HDD: (ADATA, Intel Rebranded) Intel SSD 80GB M25, 2x1TB RAID0 WD Black Sata 3

Is the difference so notable? I can play games in 1080p fine without Anti-Aliasing effects and anti strophic filtering

Let's suppose if I buy a new PC for gaming without any peripherals , around 1000$ will I notice a big difference in performance?

Comparison with the Core i5 3570K which is the best bang for buck CPU out there atm: http://www.anandtech...oduct/47?vs=701

Comparison with the AMD 7850 which, again, is the best bang for buck GPU out there: http://www.anandtech...duct/513?vs=549

They are both relatively cheap, you could upgrade your motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu and keep the rest of your stuff for about $600-700, or you could just spend $200-250 on a GPU like 7850 and get a big boost in framerate.

Add a stick of ram and upgrade the graphics and you're all good.

920 is still a decent CPU and I, personally, don't see any point in upgrading it yet.

Your system is really good to go. If you feel a need to do some upgrading then a new Intel i7 Quad along with a SSD (size is up to you) would be pretty much all you need. Good luck on whatever decisison you make. :)

All you need is a new GPU and you'll be fine.

The Marvell controller on your motherboard is probably holding back the speed potential of your SSD too, but it probably won't be a hugely noticeable difference.

I have the same rig, and while my gfx cards are quite old now, they still pack a punch to run any games I want at 1080 without a problem.

There is still plenty of life left in that rig yet.

Cheap options, you might want to overclock the CPU The 920 is a nice CPU and a lot of the time you can get 3.2ghz without a problem on air, depending on your cooler of course.

xfire with a 2nd 4870 card off ebay on the cheap. You'll be able to pick them up for peanuts now and while you won't get an amazing bump in speed you should notice it for the price...but

Your GPU is the bottle neck in the rig at the moment. You should consider upgrading that to something nice and beefy before spending the cash on other parts that won't give as big as a performance boost.