letter to bush

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:33

He should blame himself for signing up. If Bush put the gun to his head and made him to do it, then he could blame on Bush. The Army is not vacation that you can choose where to go. If he did get sent to Afghanistan, and got injury the same way, he would still blame Bush.

#17 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,638 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:42

He should blame himself for signing up. If Bush put the gun to his head and made him to do it, then he could blame on Bush. The Army is not vacation that you can choose where to go. If he did get sent to Afghanistan, and got injury the same way, he would still blame Bush.

No he wouldn't. The reason he's mad at Bush was because he was sent to fight a POINTLESS war that served NO purpose. The Iraq war had nothing to do with national security and didn't benefit the US or it's taxpayers in anyway except shoving us even deeper in debt.

He's mad because over 3000 US soldiers died, and even more were injured in a war that amounted to absolutely nothing.

Is it his fault that he signed up for the army? Sure it is but he isn't upset about signing up.

#18 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,334 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 13:58

LOL.... golden. The people calling him a "crybaby" etc are the same people that wouldn't lift a finger to help their own country. This man is a War vet, a hero and has seen **** that 99% of people on neowin can't even imagine... but they sure can criticize him.

I dont feel that way at all. I feel that since he chose to fight for this country then he needs to accept what he was asked to do. I hold veterans to a higher standard and I respect them more than anyone else I come across in my day to day life. As othes have said, if he came back with no injuries he'd be singing a different tune.

#19 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,347 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:03

I have a great respect for the military, but at the end of the day he doesn't seem to understand this: he chose to join the army, that does not give him the choice of choosing where the army is sent.

I was having a discussion with a friend a few years ago about just this kind of thought process. We both had plans to enlist (him in the U.S. and myself in the U.K.) and we were discussing the pros and cons of such a decision. While we were talking, our friend behind the bar chimed in that he had two brothers in Michigan that had decided to enlist in the army because of the job opportunities that it would offer them (job opportunities that, at least at the time, weren't available to them via more traditional means). He then proceeded to tell us how shocked his brothers were when they were told they were going on their first tour. "They told me, 'I didn't sign up for this.'"
My friend and I looked at one another, then back at the bartender and we said, "sure they did." The point we were making was that you join the military, you have to be prepared that your main role is a soldier.

This man signed up for the army knowing full-well that he would be seeing combat. What he seems to have failed to realise was that you don't get to pick and choose your jobs.

Once you remove that aspect of his story, this is just another letter against the war in Iraq. It has as much bearing coming from him as if it had come from me. With all of that said though, I agree with his letter.

#20 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,992 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:08

He joined 2 days after 9/11 - a time when the country was on a massive "Revenge" kick... It was probably a very uninformed decision, but ultimately his decision. What did he expect?

You don't come a firefighter and moan about the heat.

Sorry, I do not subscribe to the "Soldiers are hero's" line. They are people doing their job. Just like I am and other people are. They chose to be a soldier, their choice. When they then go on to complain about what they have to do, how they get paid, how they are not supported... Well you really should have known these things beforehand.

#21 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:10

Joining the military and expecting to fight in one war is his own damn fault. While I agree with what he said about the war not being in Iraq, he signed papers and he knew ahead of time what would/could happen. If he didnt know...then its his own fault.

#22 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,275 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:25

:/ at some of the responses in here. What moral people we have in here, not. Cry baby? Only a scumbag would say such a thing.

#23 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,992 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:28

See, I may currently identify a few places I'm likely to get sent if I enlist (Falklands soon?, Iraq, Syria?, Afghanistan) - but if I enlist I also have to be aware that, well look, I'd be a grunt, cannon fodder, wars are not won by feet on the ground but sent anyway. I'd be a disposable number in a book sent to wherever the current regime feels it's worth putting numbers. It could be that a new are is identified to send me to, and that I may well get killed, be un-prepared with the equipment, etc. But I should be aware of these things before signing up.

Is it right? No, of course not. But it's how it is, and how it's been for decades. And if you make a decision without considering these things, that's entirely your own fault.

#24 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:29

Can all the soldiers injured in Afghanistan trash Obama with support from the same people who approve this letter since he supported that war from the beginning and escalated it after he became President or does it only go one way? If it goes both ways then fine I don't have a problem with the letter but I have a feeling that wouldn't happen.

Over 2,000 soldiers died in Afghanistan after Obama did the surge there which was largely ignored by the media.

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,992 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:34

Can all the soldiers injured in Afghanistan trash Obama with support from the same people who approve this letter since he supported that war from the beginning and escalated it after he became President or does it only go one way?

He escalated it?

Either way, the letter is addressed to those who sent him, isn't it. I don't think it's necessarily "politically biased"

#26 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 25 March 2013 - 17:00

Yup. Has to politicize this.

#27 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

• 2,535 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 25 March 2013 - 17:20

He escalated it?

Either way, the letter is addressed to those who sent him, isn't it. I don't think it's necessarily "politically biased"

Of course it is. Instead of us remembering him for his time served and going to war at a time when most would have likely done the opposite ; we get to remember him for his whining letter he sent to Bush and Cheney for sending him somewhere he didn't want to go... i respect our soldiers, what i don't respect are those that do exactly this... he probably signed up thinking he'd get an easy ticket to any job when he served his time and he'd reap the benefits like amazing health care coverage ,etc...

#28 t_r_nelson

t_r_nelson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,110 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 17:22

Let's say he went into Iraq, they ran right through the country, the government and economy were implemented successfully and everything was sunshine and rainbows, would he be complaining? I would love to hear what he was saying when they were sending him to Iraq. I'd bet my house that he was just as pumped as he would have been to go to Afghanistan. Things didn't go as planned and now he's bitter.

I sympathize with his injuries and the fact that he's dying from those injuries but, as many have said, he signed up for the U.S. military, not the Peace Corp. And, agree with the war in Iraq or not, choosing where you fight is not in the contract. He rolled the dice and lost.