Running PHP on OSX

I'm wanting to update the local version of PHP on my Mac.. i've been doing some digging and got a little confused.

If i run php -i from the terminal it says:

$ php -i
phpinfo()
PHP Version => 5.3.15
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc
Loaded Configuration File => (none)[/CODE]

I was sure i had 5.4 installed so ran phpinfo();

[CODE]
PHP Version 5.4.5
Loaded config file: /usr/local/php5/lib/php.ini[/CODE]

A problem i'm having is i can't seem to make any php.ini file work, i'm getting lots of

[CODE] Notice: Undefined index:[/CODE]

errors, so error reporting is too high, but no matter how many php.ini files i find and edit it's not taking effect..

I have no idea which version of PHP is being used or why there is two.

Is it possible to disable or remove one of them so i know exactly whats going on, and then i can update it to a newer version?

Thanks

I'm wanting to update the local version of PHP on my Mac.. i've been doing some digging and got a little confused.

If i run php -i from the terminal it says:

$ php -i
phpinfo()
PHP Version => 5.3.15
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc
Loaded Configuration File => (none)[/CODE]

I was sure i had 5.4 installed so ran phpinfo();

[CODE]
PHP Version 5.4.5
Loaded config file: /usr/local/php5/lib/php.ini[/CODE]

A problem i'm having is i can't seem to make any php.ini file work, i'm getting lots of

[CODE] Notice: Undefined index:[/CODE]

errors, so error reporting is too high, but no matter how many php.ini files i find and edit it's not taking effect..

I have no idea which version of PHP is being used or why there is two.

Is it possible to disable or remove one of them so i know exactly whats going on, and then i can update it to a newer version?

Thanks

What user are you running PHP as?

Tip: Look for PHP and Linux. Will give you much more results as OS X is basically unix (and Linux is basically unix)

I've gone through the same problems too. I usually work with Homebrew to take care of getting the latest possible stables of PHP, MySQL and possibly even MongoDB. They can be a version behind sometimes.

I'd recommend working with Linux Ubuntu Server on a VirtualBox because you can do it all from scratch while having the internet bridged by using eth0 (Ethernet), I believe it won't work well through WiFi.

VirtualBox seems overkill for a little local development, OSX comes with PHP out of the box which i believe is the 5.3 instance... as far as a bit of coding goes it works fine as is, i can add error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE) to remove the undefined index notices.. but yeah, would like to try a newer version if possible.

Not sure what you mean by what is it running as? I just installed the 5.4 binary i believe? not sure about 5.3?

I've worked most of it out.

OSX installation of PHP is in /usr/bin/php/ cant be removed, the secondary install is from http://php-osx.liip.ch and is installed in /usr/local/php5/

php -i calls the default version so adding export PATH=/usr/local/php5/bin:${PATH} to the bash profile file overwrites it, i'm now getting a loaded php.ini file and correct information. I can also upgrade to php 5.5 by using the following command curl -s http://php-osx.liip.ch/install.sh | bash -s 5.5

no need for any external software it's all running nicely in the background :)