Strange artifacts

I did not try any other drivers yet. Intel decided to stop supporting X4500 GPU and the only driver available for win8 is the one that is installed by default.

I would definitely try a different driver and if there is none, a different OS and then a different driver, it looks very typical of a driver problem to me, like I say its too specific to be a hardware problem imo

I will reinstall win8. I will turn off this stupid "only signed drivers allowed" thing and I'll force the old intel driver from Lenovo's website to install. Thank you guys! I will report back how it went!

What I am about to say might be stupid, but might be not: Doesnt video cards use different hardware sectors for 3D and 2D tasks? Maybe it's the 2D hardware that's faulty.

Yes, but barely anything uses the 2D hardware these days (Firefox uses the 3D hardware for drawing via Direct2D, etc.) Vista didn't even allow apps to use the 2D components of the GPU, it did everything in software (7/8 relaxed that to an extent, you can now so stuff like rectangles on the GPU)

That said, the non-client area is drawn using bitmaps and composted using the 3D APIs, so it's not touching the 2D hardware either.

I will reinstall win8. I will turn off this stupid "only signed drivers allowed" thing and I'll force the old intel driver from Lenovo's website to install. Thank you guys! I will report back how it went!

I'd go for 7 over 8, win 8 is new enough to be the problem itself

Yes, but barely anything uses the 2D hardware these days (Firefox uses the 3D hardware for drawing via Direct2D, etc.) Vista didn't even allow apps to use the 2D components of the GPU, it did everything in software (7/8 relaxed that to an extent, you can now so stuff like rectangles on the GPU)

That said, the non-client area is drawn using bitmaps and composted using the 3D APIs, so it's not touching the 2D hardware either.

Wasnt aero rendered in the 2D side of harware?

Wasnt aero rendered in the 2D side of harware?

Nope, all 3D (e.g. The blur is done as a pixel shader, something the 2D hardware doesn't posses.)

I have been running Ubuntu 12.10 for the last 5-6 hours and NONE of those artifacts appeared. I tried some older drivers on windows, but it still has these issues. I am clueless...