michigan spinal vertebrae skeletal fluorosis endocrinology

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,842 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:55

A 47-year-old Michigan woman developed a bone disease rarely seen in the U.S. after she drank a pitcher of tea made from at least 100 tea bags daily, for 17 years, :| researchers report.

The Detroit woman visited the doctor after experiencing pain in her lower back, arms, legs and hips for five years.

X-rays revealed areas of very dense bone on the spinal vertebrae and calcifications of ligaments in her arm, said study researcher Dr. Sudhaker D. Rao, a physician at Henry Ford Hospital who specializes in endocrinology and bone and mineral metabolism.

The researchers suspected the woman had skeletal fluorosis, a bone disease caused by consuming too much fluoride (a mineral found in tea as well as drinking water).

The patient's blood levels of fluoride were four times higher than what would be considered normal, the researchers said.

Skeletal fluorosis is endemic in regions of the world with naturally high levels of fluoride in drinking water, including some parts of India and China, but is rare in Europe and North America. (Low levels of fluoride are added to drinking water in the United States to prevent cavities, but aren't high enough to cause fluorosis.)

Rao said the patient was originally referred to him because her doctors suspected she had cancer, which can also show up on an X-ray as areas of dense bone. But because Rao had seen cases of skeletal fluorosis in his native India, "I was able to recognize it immediately," he said.

Excess fluoride is typically eliminated from the body by the kidneys, Rao said. But if one consumes a lot of it, as this patient did through tea drinking, over time, the fluoride forms crystal deposits on bone, Rao said.

more

#2 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• 8,388 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:36

I know people that drink A LOT of tea, but not that much.. Clearly an addiction!

#3 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:40

Yeah, if you drink 100 servings a day for seventeen years something bad might happen.

#4 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,523 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:42

Making it with water purified via reverse osmosis could have possibly prevented the problem too, ingesting that much fluoride is awful! (Some kids who live in areas with fluoridated water end up with bone and teeth deformities from ODing on it.)

But the bigger issue, 100 tea bags a day? O_O That's a more expensive addiction than <insert illegal drug here>! How could that taste like anything other than "bitter"...

#5 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:50

Too much of anything is bad for you. 100 tea bags a day is just crazy though!

Do they still put fluoride in the water in the UK?

#6 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

• 5,843 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:56

Too much of anything is bad. Why is this such a hard idea to grasp? People act all surprised by crap like the movie Super Size Me. I mean come on! Everything is fine in moderation.

#7 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:05

Anyone who gets tea-bagged 100 times in one day is bound to have some short of heath issues.

ahuehuehue

#8 NoPanShabuShabu

NoPanShabuShabu

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:06

Since the article says that she drank 1 pitcher of tea made with 100+ tea bags, water flouridation wouldn't have been the cause of the problem. But really, can you imagine what that would be like? And depending on what type of tea it was, how much caffiene was in that brew?

#9 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,813 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:42

A somewhat misleading title. I thought this was going to be an article about a study which linked drinking X amount of cups of tea a day with ill health effects. Example: "drinking more than 3 cups of tea a day puts you at higher risk of X"

I didn't expect it to be a story about a woman who obviously consumed concentrated tea and suffered because of it.

#10 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,842 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:06

flouride is the problem, not really the tea.

I might use 7 teabags for a gallon of good stuff, and distilled water. :p

#11 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:26

Do they still put fluoride in the water in the UK?

Yep I think so, tastes like a dentists mouth rinse in certain areas

If I pour a glass of water here and don't drink it for 30 mins or so it tastes like petrol

#12 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,813 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:33

Making it with water purified via reverse osmosis could have possibly prevented the problem too, ingesting that much fluoride is awful! (Some kids who live in areas with fluoridated water end up with bone and teeth deformities from ODing on it.)

But the bigger issue, 100 tea bags a day? O_O That's a more expensive addiction than <insert illegal drug here>! How could that taste like anything other than "bitter"...

Teeth deformities? What do you mean? Fluoride is put into the water to prevent tooth decay. Water fluoridation is pretty closely monitored and maintained, at least where I am from. I haven't heard any of ill effects because of it.

*takes sip of fluoridated tap water*

#13 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,576 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:40

Teeth deformities? What do you mean? Fluoride is put into the water to prevent tooth decay.

It's debated. A lot of countries in Europe don't fluoridate their water and their tooth decay rates have gone down at almost the same amount as America's (who does fluoridate their water) has.

#14 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,455 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:42

There were a lot of protests here about fluoridation of water compl3x :o

Being exposed to too much fluoride is worse than not getting enough >.>

#15 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,100 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:43

the flouride they put in our water is a toxic chemical used in Aluminum manufacturing and is toxic. we buy alot from China

http://www.fluoridea...cles/absurdity/

Posted Image

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!