Samsung R530 failed Storage Controller

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine has a Samsung R530 which we originally believed to have a failed Hard Drive, after confirming that the Drive does indeed still work I tested some other drives in the office which I know work. The basic issue here is that the drive(s) will work for a few minutes and then will spin down and fail to spin back up.

As such I've been exploring some other solutions to at very least get some functionality out of a device with no local Mass Storage. I was simply wondering, what would you do? The obvious solution here is to sell it on eBay as spares and repairs.

I guess best case senario would be an OS that boots from USB such as Ubuntu / Fedora etc.

If I were to order a USB > SATA device, would I be able to get this Laptop to boot Windows? I know Windows 8 now allows booting via USB but only in certain conditions. Has anybody else had any luck doing such a thing?

I'm simply looking for ideas at this point.

Thanks

Chris

Get a new hard drive. Or RMA it to whichever company made the drive, WD, Seagate, etc.

There is nothing wrong with the Hard Drive, the issue is the Storage Controller on the motherboard. Every Hard Drive (Samsung, Seagate, WD, Toshiba) has the same Symptoms. The issue is on the Motherboard itself.

So, I've confirmed it boots Windows 8 fine from a USB > SATA Adapter. Problem solved I guess, It's become a Desktop :p