My neighbour's unsecured BT Hub

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 +SYBINX

SYBINX

Classified!

• Phone: HTC One Max

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:28

I've just found an awesome app for my SGN2 and discovered my entire close network connections which was very impressive. Although, I have discovered one of my neighbours who I don't particularly like to be honest. I know it's their house which has a **** Hub because I have a tracker which beeps very load when you're within 20 feet. The signal is 90% so it has to be theirs. It's like waiting for an accident to happen.

It is just a matter of when when it does. The fact is somebody could browse on their WiFi connection and they'd be non the wiser. What if somebody looked at indecent images... the scenarios are endless. What is wrong with these people who don't secure their internet connections. It would surprise me in the slightest if the **** Hub was still had the router set is the default settings. Should I say something or should I keep out of it. It is a grey area because, they could say that I have been using their connection. Very unlikely when I've got a 100MB connection.

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:31

Do what I did, join the network and log into their router which will almost certainly have the default password and change the SSID to "SECURE YOUR WIFI".

Or just drop an anonymous note in their letterbox if you don't want to talk to them.

Just imagine if it were you and you didn't realise/notice and someone was leeching off your connection making it slow.

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:33

You don't need an app to find unsecured networks.

Your neighbour and his network are not your concern, but it would be friendly to let him know.

However, your attitude seems really pathetic and elitist. So I very much doubt you'd let him know in any sensible and useful way.

#4 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:47

It's like waiting for an accident to happen.

Oh oh yes it is :)

Although unlikely, you too should be concerned about connecting to unsecure networks. Pineapples do exist, and are used.

Accidently connecting to a pineapple network, could mean your device tries to log into online services giving away your account details.

#5 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:00

Your neighbour and his network are not your concern, but it would be friendly to let him know.

However, your attitude seems really pathetic and elitist. So I very much doubt you'd let him know in any sensible and useful way.

Little does he know that the open network is running a tracing program that logs all connections to the open network, which in the USA is illegal to connect to.

Why not just slide a note under the door...

#6 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:06

I am pretty sure the BT hub has its wireless secured automatically with a random colections of letters numbers etc

so he must have set it up like this himself

#7 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:14

I connected to my neighbor's open wifi... and printed a sheet that said "SECURE YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK" on their laser printer. Less than an hour later the connection was encrypted lol.

#8 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:18

Not your problem or concern if they have it not secured and they could potentially get in trouble.

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:20

I connected to my neighbor's open wifi... and printed a sheet that said "SECURE YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK" on their laser printer. Less than an hour later the connection was encrypted lol.

GOLD!

#10 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:34

Just becuz someone has their WiFi open, doesn't mean that they don't have their router secured with a password.
I've used many neibors WiFi over a lot of years, and most did have their routers secured. Some didn't, lol.
Sure I thought it'd be funny to access their routers and screw with them, block them off their own router, etc. etc.
But then in the long run, it'd be me that gets screwed. If they realize something is wrong, or can't get on,
they will just reset the router, or get someone to fix it for them, and then it would most likely end up secured and closed access.

At one point, many years ago, service providers gave out the router with open access. I guess so it was easier for the owners to get on, being not so tech savvy.
And also, back when they did start being secured by default, and I'm talking Telus ADSL, the password for the WiFi was the owners telephone number.
Pretty easy to figure that out, lol. I still find some that way.

#11 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:40

you can just use the windows connection manager(wireless) seems simple enough to see who is running a wireless network unsecure

#12 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:45

what goes around, comes around, you should help them secure it.

#13 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:54

If he has an unsecured BT Homehub, it means he set it up that way, BT Hubs come with a WPA2 key by default so he must have gone into the settings page and disabled the password.

#14 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 24 March 2013 - 00:57

I used to play around with an unsecured wireless network years ago, set it up and see who connects... No-one actually ever bothered to connect around here :s