Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted

I've just found an awesome app for my SGN2 and discovered my entire close network connections which was very impressive. Although, I have discovered one of my neighbours who I don't particularly like to be honest. I know it's their house which has a **** Hub because I have a tracker which beeps very load when you're within 20 feet. The signal is 90% so it has to be theirs. It's like waiting for an accident to happen.

It is just a matter of when when it does. The fact is somebody could browse on their WiFi connection and they'd be non the wiser. What if somebody looked at indecent images... the scenarios are endless. What is wrong with these people who don't secure their internet connections. It would surprise me in the slightest if the **** Hub was still had the router set is the default settings. Should I say something or should I keep out of it. It is a grey area because, they could say that I have been using their connection. Very unlikely when I've got a 100MB connection.

13 answers to this question

Posted

Do what I did, join the network and log into their router which will almost certainly have the default password and change the SSID to "SECURE YOUR WIFI".

Or just drop an anonymous note in their letterbox if you don't want to talk to them.

Just imagine if it were you and you didn't realise/notice and someone was leeching off your connection making it slow.

Posted

You don't need an app to find unsecured networks.

Your neighbour and his network are not your concern, but it would be friendly to let him know.

However, your attitude seems really pathetic and elitist. So I very much doubt you'd let him know in any sensible and useful way.
7 people like this

Posted

[quote name='MC GEEK' timestamp='1363962512' post='595592180']
It's like waiting for an accident to happen.[/quote]

Oh oh yes it is :)

Although unlikely, you too should be concerned about connecting to unsecure networks. Pineapples do exist, and are used.

Accidently connecting to a pineapple network, could mean your device tries to log into online services giving away your account details.

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1363962792' post='595592194']

Your neighbour and his network are not your concern, but it would be friendly to let him know.

However, your attitude seems really pathetic and elitist. So I very much doubt you'd let him know in any sensible and useful way.
[/quote]

Little does he know that the open network is running a tracing program that logs all connections to the open network, which in the USA is illegal to connect to.

Why not just slide a note under the door...

Posted

I am pretty sure the BT hub has its wireless secured automatically with a random colections of letters numbers etc

so he must have set it up like this himself
3 people like this

Posted

I connected to my neighbor's open wifi... and printed a sheet that said "SECURE YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK" on their laser printer. Less than an hour later the connection was encrypted lol.
3 people like this

Posted

Not your problem or concern if they have it not secured and they could potentially get in trouble.

Posted

[quote name='trek' timestamp='1364084074' post='595594432']
I connected to my neighbor's open wifi... and printed a sheet that said "SECURE YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK" on their laser printer. Less than an hour later the connection was encrypted lol.
[/quote]

GOLD!
1 person likes this

Posted

Just becuz someone has their WiFi open, doesn't mean that they don't have their router secured with a password.
I've used many neibors WiFi over a lot of years, and most did have their routers secured. Some didn't, lol.
Sure I thought it'd be funny to access their routers and screw with them, block them off their own router, etc. etc.
But then in the long run, it'd be me that gets screwed. If they realize something is wrong, or can't get on,
they will just reset the router, or get someone to fix it for them, and then it would most likely end up secured and closed access.

At one point, many years ago, service providers gave out the router with open access. I guess so it was easier for the owners to get on, being not so tech savvy.
And also, back when they did start being secured by default, and I'm talking Telus ADSL, the password for the WiFi was the owners telephone number.
Pretty easy to figure that out, lol. I still find some that way.

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1363962792' post='595592194']

[/quote]

you can just use the windows connection manager(wireless) seems simple enough to see who is running a wireless network unsecure

Posted

what goes around, comes around, you should help them secure it.

Posted

If he has an unsecured BT Homehub, it means he set it up that way, BT Hubs come with a WPA2 key by default so he must have gone into the settings page and disabled the password.
1 person likes this

Posted

I used to play around with an unsecured wireless network years ago, set it up and see who connects... No-one actually ever bothered to connect around here :s