Photo

US Senate Shows Support for Internet Sales Taxes

usa internet sales cash-starved state government unworkably complicated companies move overseas

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:29

Why? Don't like paying a tax that you are required to tell the state about to start with?.... if your state collects sales tax and you don't pay it to the state at tax time, you are technically defrauding the state

My state has no sales tax. So what I take from this is that when I buy something from amazon, if the seller is in a state that does I will be charged with sales tax and that is stupid.

Would the tax to go my state or theirs? If theirs why should I have to pay a tax for a state I don't live in?

#32 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:32

Why? Don't like paying a tax that you are required to tell the state about to start with?.... if your state collects sales tax and you don't pay it to the state at tax time, you are technically defrauding the state

The state should not rely on individuals to voluntarily submit tax info on the purchases they make. It maybe "required" but there's no way of really knowing who bought what. Some websites already add sales tax on to the purchase, and that is what should happen instead of relying on the good faith of people to report their taxes, because lets face it here, im fairly certain most people do not report their use tax to their state of residence. I don't know anyone that loves to pay taxes.

#33 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,552 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:55

No, because it will hurt online businesses.

#34 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,672 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 14:57

My state has no sales tax. So what I take from this is that when I buy something from amazon, if the seller is in a state that does I will be charged with sales tax and that is stupid.

Would the tax to go my state or theirs? If theirs why should I have to pay a tax for a state I don't live in?

no no no that is not how this works, if you have no sales tax in your state you pay nothing, the seller has to charge you your local sales tax then turn that over to the state you live in

No, because it will hurt online businesses.

and no taxes online hasn't hurt non-online businesses? it's a two way street... and the excuse "Brick and mortar stores cost more therefore it should hurt them" doesn't fly either

heck trust me, I thought no sales tax online was awesome for years, the more I see it hurt local towns, the more I am against it... especially when I see people ordering shampoo online because it "has no tax" yet they could of gotten the same stuff locally right now with no wait for a few cents more.... literally sometimes just a few cents more due to the tax

#35 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:08

I buy online for two main reasons...
  • They are usually significantly less expensive.
  • There are usually incentives for doing so. For example Amazon quite frequently does promotions on their video games (get $10-$20 credit for next purchase, get promotional item only available at Amazon, etc.)

I also like the convenience purchasing online provides. I live in NJ, in an area that is way to congested. Going to the mall, etc., is just a pain in the ass more often than it is not.

Not paying tax is one of the last things on my mind. Sure it is nice, but it is not the only reason I shop online. Not even close.

I would gladly go to a store and pick up my items if they did the above, hell in some cases I prefer to be able to pick stuff up, but until they come close to matching the better prices and incentives offered, I will continue to purchase online. Tax or No Tax.

#36 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,672 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 15:34

You know we could always just do this a way everyone would "love"...... jus go the value added tax route and let the IRS decide what states get what money... that couldn't fail, right?...... even nontaxed states would be taxed then.....

#37 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,928 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:34

Brick-and-mortar stores could always do Internet business also, so the argument that they're being treated unfairly is a bit off.

The question is less about fairness and more about whether having a brick-and-mortar end to your business should be penalized.

Like I said, the point of a sales tax is for LOCAL infrastructure support. So why should a company pay all that money to collect taxes for a government that doesn't actually do anything for them? For example, many areas charge extra sales tax as a way to help pay for a local stadium. Why should Amazon have to pay to keep track of the hundreds (or thousands) of different sales tax laws in order to help pay for a stadium or the roads around the stadium? It doesn't make sense.

Why do tariffs exist?

#38 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:50

no no no that is not how this works, if you have no sales tax in your state you pay nothing, the seller has to charge you your local sales tax then turn that over to the state you live in

I don't know if I agree with that, though. I just think there must be a better way.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!