Windows 8 copy/paste UI is not always on top.

I'v got an annoying (bug?) in my win8 install x64. When I copy/paste, or cut/paste, the little UI window is not on top. You'll see it the yellow windows explorer icon flashing below in the taskbar, but the window is not on top. Is this just a wrong setting? I think its very annoying.. Can someone help me fix this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Think I've seen this happen. If it's by design, the idea is probably to let you continue copying and pasting more files in the same Explorer window without having to hide the transfer dialog.

Think I've seen this happen. If it's by design, the idea is probably to let you continue copying and pasting more files in the same Explorer window without having to hide the transfer dialog.

Problem is, sometimes the "Files already exist" and "Are you sure" dialogs also pop in the background from time to time. This could make you lose time, because if you don't notice the red filling bar on the taskbar below the icon, you might come back 15 minutes later expecting a copy of your movies, only to notice a "Thumbs.db already exists, do you want to replace/keep both/cancel".

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like it, can it be disabled?

I'm confused. The windows has focus when the file copy started right? Your complaint is that it isn't bringing the window back into focus on warnings?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused. The windows has focus when the file copy started right? Your complaint is that it isn't bringing the window back into focus on warnings?

Sorry for the late reply. It does not bring the window back in focus on warnings but also when you copy/cut and paste a file somewhere else. (sorry for my English, I am not native)

Example 1:

Copy a file (no sytem file or anything like that) (1GB) from C:/ to D:/. So as soon as I hit ctrl-v, the transfer window starts in the background.

Example 2:

Copy a file that is in use/ or maybe a .ini file or something like that. Warning window is supposed to start in focus, but it starts in the background.

Strange thing is that it happens sporadically..

Here is an example screenshot. I tried to copy a new kernel.elf over the old kernel.elf. The warning message 'Replace or Skip Files' does not startup in focus. It goes in focus of my browser, but not the explorer window I try to paste it in.

focus_zps889da194.png

+1. Very annoying and I thought it was just my install. "Glad" to see others having the same issue, and hopefully a fix will be available.

Is it just an issue with Chrome?

Edit: Sorry, think I got confused by what I was seeing there. What is that File Download thing, behind the Explorer window? Nothing to do with the problem?

+1. Very annoying and I thought it was just my install. "Glad" to see others having the same issue, and hopefully a fix will be available.

Aye I have the same issue. Using File Explorer (windows explorer), when I copy and paste a file, the transfer window is behind the active window that I initiated the transfer with. It's usually not a problem as it does it thin and I can see the progress on the taskbar.... unless I need to confirm permissions, then it'll just wait forever until i tab to the dialog box.

Is this the issue when you get a conflict, the dialog is in background and you only get a blinking Explorer icon in taskbar, so you end up overlooking the prompt? According to Micros~ shell team, it is "by design".

@+DARKFiB3R; No nothing to do with the Download thing. It is the little explorer warning window (which you can almost not see, which is the problem!)

So I'm not the only one. I guess its a bug then...

@UXGaurav: By disign? That is weird, because a warning message should get in focus right, because you have to choose something otherwise nothing happens.. Now you first have to click on the yellow flashing explorer icon in your taskbar. And still if its by disign why does it happen sporadically

Aye I have the same issue. Using File Explorer (windows explorer), when I copy and paste a file, the transfer window is behind the active window that I initiated the transfer with. It's usually not a problem as it does it thin and I can see the progress on the taskbar.... unless I need to confirm permissions, then it'll just wait forever until i tab to the dialog box.

Same. It has to do with Explorer itself (I think), as sometimes I use TeraCopy to verify copies of data and even TeraCopy gets placed behind my current Windows Explorer window. At least TeraCopy remembers its position, so I just place it in a corner for it to be visible after a copy command. But still.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry to bump but this problem is really annoying any one have a solution, sometimes ive missed a replace file dialog box because it's remained hidden and only after clicking the task bar picking the message up. I prefer my copy/move dialogs on top to get an idea of how they are doing.

I'm also facing this issue. The only work-around I know - and it is temporary - is to close Google Chrome (exiting the little chrome logo on the notification pane near the clock as well), starting a file copy (with a big file, an .iso for example), open the copy/paste UI that shows up "hidden", cancel the operation and then, to check, pressing ctrl+v again to make sure the window pops up as it should.

Only then can I start Google Chrome again - and if I try to copy something, the file transfer UI shows on top as expected, until I restart the computer, and have to do this all over again.

It's VERY annoying and this bug really pisses me off, but I believe it is a Chrome-fault as it doesn't happen with any other browser. 

• 8 months later...

Me too I was having this issue, but I think found the problem. Look at "Folder options", and take a look at "view" tab. In "advanced setup", look if you have checked the option "open windows in a indepent process..". In this case, you have to uncheck it and you are done. 

Please, take a look at the image attached.

• Like 1

sorry to bump but this problem is really annoying any one have a solution, sometimes ive missed a replace file dialog box because it's remained hidden and only after clicking the task bar picking the message up. I prefer my copy/move dialogs on top to get an idea of how they are doing.

Yup same problem here too I've even had explorer steal focus on an full screen video too whilst using MPC-HC bloody annoying it is 

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2015 at 3:30 AM, charly2k15 said:

Me too I was having this issue, but I think found the problem. Look at "Folder options", and take a look at "view" tab. In "advanced setup", look if you have checked the option "open windows in a indepent process..". In this case, you have to uncheck it and you are done. 

Yuuuuuuuuuuu Huuuuuuuuuuuuu

It Really Worked for me...

I went to the option and click on "Restore Defaults" and apply , Ok...

Now every new Copy/past window opens on top of the others...

Thank you a lot...

• 5 months later...
On 2/7/2015 at 0:00 AM, charly2k15 said:

I know you posted this a while ago, but today the issue really annoyed me, so after googling i found my old post and your solution. I wish you were here as i would shake your hand as it works perfectly. 

I always used to set explorer to start in a new process as i thought it would help with performance and that has been the root cause of the issue, just switched it off and now the copy/delete etc.. dialogs are on top 

Thanks very much :)