united kingdom heart attack minimal brain activity cpr

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,303 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:13

Wait.. So, they just buggered off home and waiting for someone to phone that she was dead?

I'm glad I don't have those bunch of heartless bleeps for a family!

When my mum passed away some years ago, we knew it was coming, and one of us was at her side 24/7 until she passed! She held on as as long as she could, until the last of us had travelled the needed distance to be there and say our goodbyes (despite the Alzheimers having taken away who she was a long time ago), and then quietly passed in the night, with my dad and 2 of other of us with her.

I just cannot fathom that someone would just leave it to a stranger to phone them with that kind of news. How could you leave a loved one to die alone like that?

At least they were lucky and didn't lose their mum.

#17 compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,222 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:20

But what if your doctor is fat and doesn't exercise?!!!! Kris cross! :p it's 2am here. And I can't sleep :(

Can him/her a hypocrite, but nonetheless heed their advice. :p

#18 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:24

Life expectancy has more than doubled in the last ~200 years. Modern medicine must be doing something right.

Most doctors plead with their patients to do more exercise, quit smoking, stop drinking too much, eat healthier. A lot of medicine is preventative, not curative. If people are too dumb to listen it isn't the doctors' fault.

You say that but i will always laugh when i see people who have the very definition of an unhealthy life style live well into their 80s but people who do all the running and healthy eating suddenly drop dead in their 30s.

#19 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,102 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:30

You say that but i will always laugh when i see people who have the very definition of an unhealthy life style live well into their 80s but people who do all the running and healthy eating suddenly drop dead in their 30s.

Outliers? Must be magic or something.

#20 compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:42

They are exceptions to the rule. It is cool to hear about some dude who is 90 and still smokes a pack a day and drinks like a fish, but I can assure you he is in an incredibly small minority.

Sometimes healthy people will die because they have an underlying health issue they were unaware of. That isn't an argument for unhealthy living.

#21 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,303 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:53

Being super duper health concious can be just as bad for you as being really obese. The right lifestyle is one of balance, with all things taken and done in moderation.

#22 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,042 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:55

This is why I don't want to be either burned or buried for at least a week when I 'die'.

Well when you remove life support, the person is still alive, until they finally die. Sometimes people are strong enough and don't die... and this happens. So it's not like they took life support away and instantly she was dead. She never died.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:04

Being super duper health concious can be just as bad for you as being really obese. The right lifestyle is one of balance, with all things taken and done in moderation.

I think many forget that in our health conscious society.

#24 +giantsnyy

giantsnyy

Neowinian

• 1,062 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:17

Same here, Hum. If I go to the doctor it's a matter of life and death and not a second before.

See a D.O. They'll look into natural and holistic approaches to curing you before drugs and surgery.

Edit: I am a bit biased since that's what I'm studying to become.

#25 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,775 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:53

^ I see the Internet first. ;)

#26 compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:22

I think many forget that in our health conscious society.

lol. Have you look at Western society lately? We're killing ourselves with "lifestyle" diseases.

#27 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:27

Glad no one checked for a pulse...

#28 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

Grand Master

• 1,266 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:57

Life expectancy has more than doubled in the last ~200 years.

You can't be serious. You mean 200 years ago people only lived 30 years or so? It's actually the complete opposite. Even people from two generations ago lived longer than what's common nowadays. My grandad, grandma and most people from their time all made it past 85 at least. People used to live healthier back then. There was no concept of processed, high-fat, high-sugar fast foods. Vegetables, meat and dairy were bought farm fresh and preservatives free. People were physically well built since things weren't so automated so they had to do their own manual labor and going from one place to another meant walking. There weren't TVs and computers to make a potato of yourself. They went to bed early and woke up with dawn to maximise daylight. Even from a medical point of view, diseases like HIV, Cancer, STDs, hypertension, drug and alcohol overdose etc. were unheard of. And people before that used to live even longer. Archaeologists and anthropologists have confirmed that earlier homosapiens used to live as long as 600 years.

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:10

Archaeologists and anthropologists have confirmed that earlier homosapiens used to live as long as 600 years.

*sigh* You were doing just fine up until that part... :rolleyes:

#30 compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 21:38

You can't be serious. You mean 200 years ago people only lived 30 years or so? It's actually the complete opposite. Even people from two generations ago lived longer than what's common nowadays. My grandad, grandma and most people from their time all made it past 85 at least. People used to live healthier back then. There was no concept of processed, high-fat, high-sugar fast foods. Vegetables, meat and dairy were bought farm fresh and preservatives free. People were physically well built since things weren't so automated so they had to do their own manual labor and going from one place to another meant walking. There weren't TVs and computers to make a potato of yourself. They went to bed early and woke up with dawn to maximise daylight. Even from a medical point of view, diseases like HIV, Cancer, STDs, hypertension, drug and alcohol overdose etc. were unheard of. And people before that used to live even longer. Archaeologists and anthropologists have confirmed that earlier homosapiens used to live as long as 600 years.

I think you might have read that part in the Bible.

You're confusing life expectancy and life span.. Due to things like sanitation, antibiotics, clean drinking water and hygiene people are living (or surviving) much longer than they ever have. Less women die during child birth, less young people die because of accidents; we have the capability to treat sever trauma, or because of disease and malnutrition. Plus, people who reach old age stay older for longer. Penicillin by itself had a drastic effect on adult mortality.

I'm tired of doing the heavy lifting for know-it-alls on this site.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!