Did NCIX build me a top performance gaming PC?

Hi guys thanks for stopping by. So heres the deal..... I went to the local NCIX store on march 21st and had one of the store employees build a custom gaming PC for me because I dont know too much about PC specs since I been gaming on consoles for the past several years. I told the employee that price was not a concern and that I just wanted a very solid gaming pc that can run every single game on store shelves at highest settings and still have top performance and quality. The PC will also be used for general computer uses but mainly gaming! So he went ahead and built me a PC and promised that this is all I need. I posted the specs below.

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail

Asus P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 SLI DVI HDMI DP USB 3.0 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX32MA1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64Bit

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System LGA1155 1156 1366 2011 AM2 AM3 FM1 FM2

Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA Molex (two of these fans)

Samsung 840 Pro Series 256gb 2.5IN SATA3 Mdx Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 980MHZ 2GB 6GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium ATX Mid Tower Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5INT 2X2.5SSD No PSU USB3.0

Now You might be wondering what my question is?? Is this really a very powerful gaming rig? Is there anything on here that I could have done better on? Reason I am asking is because I still have time to visit the NCIX store and change specs before they build the PC and have it ready for me on april 4th. I just want to make sure it is very powerful for gaming since I am an anal person about little tiny cons and also I want to save myself the hassle of having to upgrade parts a year down the road. I would rather spend the difference on the price now and save myself the hassle. Spend now and save later! Thanks for reading and look forward to your replies!

Edited by Strider187

Hello and welcome to the Neowin Forums!

As for your specifications on the build, concerning that money is of no concern. A build that would most likely last you a long time would be something along the lines of this.

- Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail

- Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm Fan

- ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard

- Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1866 CL10-11-10-30 Quad Channel Memory Kit

-Corsair AX860 860W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan

- Windows 8 pro 64 bit

- Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA Molex (two of these fans)

- ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 1006MHZ 4GB GDDR5 6GHZ 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E 3.0 Video Card

- Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB SATA3 2.5in 6GB/S LAMD LM87800 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD x2 RAID 0

- Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Tower Case Black Pearl 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PSU Front 2XUSB3.0 Audio

So that is what I would recommend as a powerful gaming pc that would last you a very long time. You didn't have a case up there but this case is really great, as it has plenty of room for extra hard drives should you ever need to get more. This CPU cooler is quiet and there have been problems with the hydro series coolers in the past so I wouldn't really put too much faith into them. Lots of ram, great graphics card. Should last you a while. This is without a Monitor, Keyboard, etc.

Take care

Edit,

yes, if price is of no concern, then you could switch out the graphics card with a gtx 690, but that is a price of 1000 CAD on NCIX's Website. Also, These parts are all off from the NCIX website. Also, if you are going to purchase these items, Then go to www.shopbot.ca, type in the product number and find the cheapest price. NCIX will price match them and I've saved a lot of money from them in the past :D

Neztea

price is no concern? get an i7. You say you don't know much about computers - I'm going to assume you won't be overclocking. get the non-K version, it has more features at the expense of not being able to overclock. 16 GB of ram? make it 32GB. Do you need it? nope. Then why get it? Why the hell not! RAM is dirt cheap anyways. Why aren't you getting the top of the line GPU? throw in the GTX690.

Personally i would swap out Windows 8 for 7 apart from that everything there looks good to me.

Why?? Win8 is superior to Win7 in every way.

price is no concern? get an i7. You say you don't know much about computers - I'm going to assume you won't be overclocking. get the non-K version, it has more features at the expense of not being able to overclock. 16 GB of ram? make it 32GB. Do you need it? nope. Then why get it? Why the hell not! RAM is dirt cheap anyways. Why aren't you getting the top of the line GPU? throw in the GTX690.

Why?? Win8 is superior to Win7 in every way.

Some people just do no appreciate windows 8 cause of the whole new GUI. I still am on windows 7 and it is still a great OS.

Neztea

I was asking the store employee about going with an i7 processor rather than an i5 and he was suggesting it was a bad idea because Hyperthreading in the i7 processors can actually cause performance problems on some video games?

I was asking the store employee about going with an i7 processor rather than an i5 and he was suggesting it was a bad idea because Hyperthreading in the i7 processors can actually cause performance problems on some video games?

Bullcrap. Utter bullcrap : ( stick with the i7 3770k, you will be happy :D

edit:

CPU comparisons

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

Neztea

Bullcrap. Utter bullcrap : ( stick with the i7 3770k, you will be happy :D

Neztea

I will definitely be showing him this thread when I visit the store again on monday :shifty:

I will definitely be showing him this thread when I visit the store again on monday :shifty:

Also remember, NCIX does price matching, Though, if you live in Canada, Try shopping at Memoryexpress.com. They do price matching, have great service, and also beat that price match by 5% of the difference, which may be better than what NCIX does. :D

Neztea

You only appear to have 256gb of storage space in that build, I would get a large hard drive to compliment the 256gb SSD you have in there. You will soon find 256gb is nothing, unless your going to save all your documents somewhere else?

... Hyperthreading in the i7 processors can actually cause performance problems on some video games?

At some point, there was talk about this. Most of the stories were anecdotal. There was probably a couple games that some people were having issues with (names escape me, it was ages ago), but these days, I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Personally, I don't think the extra couple FPS you get from going with the i7 instead of the i5 justifies the extra $100 price difference (in tech, $100 goes a LONG way in 1-2 years time). But if price wasn't an issue, then the i7 definitely performs better.

Some people just do no appreciate windows 8 cause of the whole new GUI. I still am on windows 7 and it is still a great OS.

Neztea

use Start8! :)

There were problems but they were fixed soon after they appeared. I'm also one of the people who would say that stick with your i5 since i7 is meant more for a professional type of person who deals with editing and creation, i5 is more than enough for gaming. 32GB of ram would also be an overkill. 16 is well enough.

The 670 tho.. Maybe it's just my fanboism but I'd rather swap that for an 7950 or if money is no concern to your to an 7970/7970Ghz edition.

In other words the build he put together is a good build for gaming.

Getting an i7 for a gaming PC is a waste of money outside of lining the pockets of the guys selling the cpu. No game now or for the next 5 years will even max a i5 CPU. you ONLY need an i7 if you do movie editing and render high res movies or 3D modeling/rendering, or other similar stuff.

But for gaming an i5 is all you need. he will not get any extra FPS from an i7 over an i5 in gaming. that would be all down to the GPU when you get up to i5 class cpu's-

• Like 2

I would suggest getting in addition to the SSDs like 1-3 SATA 6 drives.. Also as suggested get the GTX 690 and if you can buy two then SLi them. If that is too much get two 4GB GTX 680s and Sli them.

At max get 16GB memory

Different higher rated PSU

Getting an i7 for a gaming PC is a waste of money outside of lining the pockets of the guys selling the cpu. No game now or for the next 5 years will even max a i5 CPU. you ONLY need an i7 if you do movie editing and render high res movies or 3D modeling/rendering, or other similar stuff.

But for gaming an i5 is all you need. he will not get any extra FPS from an i7 over an i5 in gaming. that would be all down to the GPU when you get up to i5 class cpu's-

Correct

Even my 4 / going on 5 year old i7 920 paired with a new nvidia geforce GTX 660ti is running the new Tomb Raider like a BOSS!

Correct

Even my 4 / going on 5 year old i7 920 paired with a new nvidia geforce GTX 660ti is running the new Tomb Raider like a BOSS!

i7 930 here, just added a 7870 from XFX and im back to running everything on max.

the NCIX guy gave you a good system for what you asked for. It will do what you said you wanted it to do. BUT. I would go with the core i7 3770k and bump up the graphics card, just because it will be more future proof. In a few years time,that system will still be running and doing everything like a champ.

I have the gtx 670 and it struggles with crysis 3 on highest settings.. so I'd go for the 690